Odessy Galley Tour with Lunch

lvog

During a Carribean Cruise a year ago, I recall a special luncheon tour through the galley with food stations. Was this a special occasion or something to look forward too in a future cruise?

Yes, it does not always happen, but sometimes does!  It depends for one thing on a sea day - it would not be logical to have it on a day when many are in port. Also, I suspect, on the whim of the Chef, Maitre'd, CD, and maybe others?  Some are keen, others not so much.  It is for most an enjoyable event when it does happen, and a chance to say thank you to the tireless people who cook your food but are never seen.  And my recollection is that is virtually the only place to have lunch that day, but maybe the Patio grill is also open.

The Galley Market lunch is typically held every 2 weeks or so on the last sea day.  In the summer, when the voyages on some ships consist of mostly 7-day port-intensive turnarounds in the Mediterranean, for instance, I wonder if the lunch would be held at all.  Definitely not, in case of no sea day; but what about a short duration cruise with, say, only 1 or 2 sea days - does anyone know?

Edited by sfvoyage

On 4/11/2019 at 1:31 PM, lincslady said:

Yes, it does not always happen, but sometimes does!  It depends for one thing on a sea day - it would not be logical to have it on a day when many are in port. Also, I suspect, on the whim of the Chef, Maitre'd, CD, and maybe others?  Some are keen, others not so much.  It is for most an enjoyable event when it does happen, and a chance to say thank you to the tireless people who cook your food but are never seen.  And my recollection is that is virtually the only place to have lunch that day, but maybe the Patio grill is also open.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, sfvoyage said:

The Galley Market lunch is typically held every 2 weeks or so on the last sea day.  In the summer, when the voyages on some ships consist of mostly 7-day port-intensive turnarounds in the Mediterranean, for instance, I wonder if the lunch would be held at all.  Definitely not, in case of no sea day; but what about a short duration cruise with, say, only 1 or 2 sea days - does anyone know?

Thank you!