Tender ports - what to expect?

renee00

My mom and I are planning to do the transatlantic Viking Passage cruise in 2020, and I noticed that a few of the ports use tenders. We've gone on a HAL cruise before but never one with tender ports. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to expect with the tenders and how best to maximize our time on-shore? Do the tenders take a lot of time that you need to account for?

3 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

People on HAL tours have first dibs on the tenders as well as 4/5 star mariners and President's Club.  You usually need to get a number and wait until it is called.

Tendering does take some time, but on the Viking Passage cruise (which I have sailed aboard Eurodam), the process does not eat much into the time that one has when ashore.  Knowing what you would like to do once ashore will allow you to better utilize the time you have.

While you wait for your tender number to be announced, you will probably be waiting in the main show lounge.  Coffee and water (sometimes OJ) will be available along with trays of pastries.

Getting into and off the tenders, the crew are most helpful . Don't be shy about letting them take hold of you in getting into or out of the tender.  I find being able to use the tender once in awhile a rather enjoyable experience.

The time varies quite a bit depending on how far off shore that you are anchored, and the weather. If the weather is bright and clear there will be more people trying to get ashore early, causing longer lines, while on a grey/uninviting day people will dawdle over another cup of coffee hoping that it will clear up. If it's windy enough that the water is choppy, the loading and unloading operations are slowed down to be more cautious.  As an average I'd say about 15>20  minutes each way.

Edited by catl331