Cruise Critic Community

Got back from Alaska cruise, what an amazing time we had. The weather was that of the caribbean :) just no sand or beaches. Whales, northern lights, Fjord to glacier was beautiful, couldnt have ever picked a more perfect time to go on that cruise. That cruise bug really stuck its stinger into us, came home to book again but out San Fran on the Miracle (10 day or 11 day only avail for Aug 2020), good grief for where we want to be (deck eight/mid) covered exteneded balcony just in case we do get rain on next cruise, none avail. whaaaaat? Seriously, decissions that prove life isnt so bad if thats our problem to solve :)

The Mardi Gras has plenty of options, love that. Cant wait. It was the topic of conversation here and there on our Alaska cruise. Why are so many not wanting to be on such a big ship? "Too many people", was the sentiment. But the ship is huge, you wont see all of them lol. I just didnt get it. They said thats why they didnt want to go on any RC "..of the Seas" class of big ships. Since I have not been on any mega cruise ship, am I missing something?  

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:48 AM, OHS81 said:

Got back from Alaska cruise, what an amazing time we had. The weather was that of the caribbean :) just no sand or beaches. Whales, northern lights, Fjord to glacier was beautiful, couldnt have ever picked a more perfect time to go on that cruise. That cruise bug really stuck its stinger into us, came home to book again but out San Fran on the Miracle (10 day or 11 day only avail for Aug 2020), good grief for where we want to be (deck eight/mid) covered exteneded balcony just in case we do get rain on next cruise, none avail. whaaaaat? Seriously, decissions that prove life isnt so bad if thats our problem to solve :)

The Mardi Gras has plenty of options, love that. Cant wait. It was the topic of conversation here and there on our Alaska cruise. Why are so many not wanting to be on such a big ship? "Too many people", was the sentiment. But the ship is huge, you wont see all of them lol. I just didnt get it. They said thats why they didnt want to go on any RC "..of the Seas" class of big ships. Since I have not been on any mega cruise ship, am I missing something?  

We booked the Miracle 11 day, August 9. Has it sold out? We love the idea of Carnival porting in Nor. Cal. Hope it catches on.

14 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

We booked the Miracle 11 day, August 9. Has it sold out? We love the idea of Carnival porting in Nor. Cal. Hope it catches on.

Hi California neighbor! :) No to my knowledge it has not sold out. The deck we like, port side, is sold out. They have some quad rooms avail still, but we are not a party of 4 :) I will keep checking back! 

Me too, I hope Carnival keeps a ship here in California, esp in San Fran! Goodness no hefty airfare to cruise :) Mind you theres just so many times you can go to Ensenada :) But hey, its a cruise! 

Yep, we are neighbors, I think Folsom is only two hours give or take from us. We have two cruises before this one but getting excited about the new Mardi Gras. Plus, we love Port Canaveral also. We spend a couple of days in Coco Beach prior to the cruise. Have a good day.

Going on the new Panorama, January 2020. I need to do something before this cruise...plus to kick start me to Diamond 💎 lol, sheesh I have a long way to go. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, OHS81 said:

Going on the new Panorama, January 2020. I need to do something before this cruise...plus to kick start me to Diamond 💎 lol, sheesh I have a long way to go. 

We are on the Panorama Jan 04, can't wait!!

2 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

We are on the Panorama Jan 04, can't wait!!

Oh how close, we are on the Jan 11th cruise, 2020.....shucks! Ahhh soooo close.....we cant wait either! I will wave atcha getting off the ship, we will be on the Queen Mary (day before cruise) having breakfast I'm sure, before we board. Break in that sky ride thing for us will ya? Have a great time!! 

Wow, quite a coincidence. We also stay on the Queen Mary prior to the cruise. So convenient, my Wife can finish her coffee and I can run the luggage over to the porters. Plus the QM is a lot of fun.

6 minutes ago, MEUB1112 said:

Wow, quite a coincidence. We also stay on the Queen Mary prior to the cruise. So convenient, my Wife can finish her coffee and I can run the luggage over to the porters. Plus the QM is a lot of fun.

Exactly, thats what I was hearing, that its so convenient! We have never stayed there. I've been researching, watched a YouTube vid of some Ghost hunting guy which was a flop. I didnt know it had a swimming pool on there!  Learning of all its History! I'm looking forward to the QM as much as the Panorama :)  

1 hour ago, OHS81 said:

Exactly, thats what I was hearing, that its so convenient! We have never stayed there. I've been researching, watched a YouTube vid of some Ghost hunting guy which was a flop. I didnt know it had a swimming pool on there!  Learning of all its History! I'm looking forward to the QM as much as the Panorama :)  

It's a great place to stay, I didn't know they had a pool and we've stayed there 3 times. It's worth the extra to get a harbor view room. You can pay for a tour or just walk around, you can get to the bridge etc.

20 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

It's a great place to stay, I didn't know they had a pool and we've stayed there 3 times. It's worth the extra to get a harbor view room. You can pay for a tour or just walk around, you can get to the bridge etc.

The pool is on a mid or lower deck . They were updating it/fixing it, in the clip I saw. It has been also closed due to the mention of a little girl died in the pool-long ago. Ask about it when you get there. 

You mention to pay for the tour? I thought if you stayed at the QM the tour was free?

Thanks for the info, regarding the tours, you can pay for a guided tour (that was our impression) or just do the self paced tour. I believe they charge non guests for any tour. We will look for the pool next time, would be fun to just see it. The ship is so historic. Thanks!!

Has anyone here made reservations/had dinner at a Bonsai Teppanyaki?  John Heald did a post showing him going through the new Carnival Panorama, mentioned Bonsai Teppanyaki as he was walking where it was to be, once ship is done, he said its very popular and there's a wait list! So..I go to the Carnival site for our January cruise on the Panorama and they have pulled this place from the special dinning! You can only book the Steak house, Italian & Asian JiJi kitchen on the website.  I called Carnival and they said they can make my reservation for me and were confused why I didnt have that option on my screen. They did make my reservation, but have not received a confirmation email that we actually get it. 

Is it worth it? Is it like a Benihana? If those are still around lol? Would love to know someones experience there. Thank you!

We never ate in one but passed it daily on Vista and Horizon.  Looks like a  Benihana to us. Sushi side is good for lunch.  JiJi is excellent. 

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

We never ate in one but passed it daily on Vista and Horizon.  Looks like a  Benihana to us. Sushi side is good for lunch.  JiJi is excellent. 

Thank you. We walked past the JiJi Kitchen one on our Alaska cruise and it seemed empty all the time. The menu sounded great to me! Max we saw was about 4 couples. We never went to it. So we already have reservations (which I thought pffttt nobody is usually in there, but Ok, I will make reservation) for our January cruise. Along with Steak & Italian places. Hope we get Teppanyaki reservations settled. 

15 hours ago, OHS81 said:

Has anyone here made reservations/had dinner at a Bonsai Teppanyaki?  John Heald did a post showing him going through the new Carnival Panorama, mentioned Bonsai Teppanyaki as he was walking where it was to be, once ship is done, he said its very popular and there's a wait list! So..I go to the Carnival site for our January cruise on the Panorama and they have pulled this place from the special dinning! You can only book the Steak house, Italian & Asian JiJi kitchen on the website.  I called Carnival and they said they can make my reservation for me and were confused why I didnt have that option on my screen. They did make my reservation, but have not received a confirmation email that we actually get it. 

Is it worth it? Is it like a Benihana? If those are still around lol? Would love to know someones experience there. Thank you!

We did it on the Horizon,  good experience but for us not the end all.  Would certainly do it again if some in our groups wanted to do so.   

Edited by jimbo5544

On 10/20/2019 at 5:14 AM, jimbo5544 said:

We did it on the Horizon,  good experience but for us not the end all.  Would certainly do it again if some in our groups wanted to do so.   

Thank you so much, it really helps! :) 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, OHS81 said:

Thank you so much, it really helps! 🙂

Glad to help.  

Giving this thread a pulse :) Hope everyone is having fun crusing and getting ready for the Holidays! Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years early :) Carry on :) 

19 hours ago, OHS81 said:

Giving this thread a pulse 🙂 Hope everyone is having fun crusing and getting ready for the Holidays! Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years early 🙂 Carry on 🙂

Ditto