Is Margaritaville the same as the chain restaurants?

alisonslp

We frequent Margaritaville pretty much wherever we go because we like to see the different themes, especially the ones with the special effects. Is the food the same on the ship (we will be on the Bliss) as in the chain? Do they have a specific theme?  We like their food - especially the nacho plate - but I am not sure it is worth paying an extra fee pp for it if it is the same food we are used to getting, especially since we usually share plates.

12 minutes ago, alisonslp said:

We frequent Margaritaville pretty much wherever we go because we like to see the different themes, especially the ones with the special effects. Is the food the same on the ship (we will be on the Bliss) as in the chain? Do they have a specific theme?  We like their food - especially the nacho plate - but I am not sure it is worth paying an extra fee pp for it if it is the same food we are used to getting, especially since we usually share plates.

From looking at the onboard Margaritaville menu against one of the ones on their website (I think it was Atlantic City) it appears that the one on the ship is a pared-down version of the land-based menu. 

Edited by Greenpea2

We really enjoyed Margaritaville on the Bliss, but your mileage may vary! We were in Vancouver, it was raining and we had a perk for the first day for Haven passengers. So we thought, let's check it out. It was so dreary outside, but when we walked into the restaurant (it's not that big) the sunny decor really made us happy! And they have something there that I have not seen on the land based menus: Pretzel Sticks with queso and mustard dipping sauces! It remains  a nice memory for us!

10 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

We really enjoyed Margaritaville on the Bliss, but your mileage may vary! We were in Vancouver, it was raining and we had a perk for the first day for Haven passengers. So we thought, let's check it out. It was so dreary outside, but when we walked into the restaurant (it's not that big) the sunny decor really made us happy! And they have something there that I have not seen on the land based menus: Pretzel Sticks with queso and mustard dipping sauces! It remains  a nice memory for us!

But it wasn't worth the $14.95 to return?

It’s day 12 of 15 on the Bliss for us and I have yet to see one single person sitting in Margaritaville and actually eating. People sit there to play cards. Most everyone knows that paying to eat there is a joke. You can get free burgers and such at the Local downstairs ...... Biggest waste of space NCL ever put on their ships. 

12 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

It’s day 12 of 15 on the Bliss for us and I have yet to see one single person sitting in Margaritaville and actually eating. People sit there to play cards. Most everyone knows that paying to eat there is a joke. You can get free burgers and such at the Local downstairs ...... Biggest waste of space NCL ever put on their ships. 

It was good when it was a la cart. IMHO...bar is still good for drinks....breakfast in the morning was nice on The Escape..and Getaway.

Edited by PTC DAWG

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It was good when it was a la cart. IMHO...bar is still good for drinks....breakfast in the morning was nice on The Escape..and Getaway.

Yeah, I had breakfast there twice on our Escape cruise last July.

It was very nice. Quiet with zero crowd and nice ocean views.

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Breakaway is not even close to land based.

No doubt, just a much smaller quieter version of the big ship buffet.  I found it was the best place to get fresh hot over eggs on the boat.  

14 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Is the Breakfast free in Margaritaville ?

15 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

I also had a 'first day free for lunch' deal as a Haven guest. I think I might've been on the Getaway, but I forget specifically.

I've never been to a Margaritaville on land but I wasn't impressed. Their Cheeseburger in Paradise was, I thought, merely okay. The pretzel sticks were, well, pretzel sticks. The most impressive item was the key lime pie, which I admit was pretty good. The service was atrocious, it took forever to get anything like a straw for my soda or the pie for dessert, it was just hard to get anyone's attention. Or find anyone.

I definitely wouldn't pay $14.95 for it. I don't think I'd even go again if it was offered free. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad just not good, and heck I was on a cruise so I was all easy-going, but it really did not interest me.

Edited by rabidstoat

55 minutes ago, alisonslp said:

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input. We will likely go for breakfast  but will not plan to go for other meals.

We agree, we like it for a nice open air complimentary breakfast.  We've enjoyed the breakfasts there on Escape & Breakaway.  Haven't paid yet for lunch there....and hardly see anyone else trying it.  

It has been reported you can sit at the bar area and order Nachos for a decent price.  If you have the UBP you can get the Margaritas there as I believe they are all under $15.