Allure azipod issues

We sail on the June 30th Western and got the email on Friday, May 3rd.  Our only impact is 1 1/4 hours late into Falmouth, Jamaica and leaving an hour later than original scheduled departure time which only results in a loss of 15 minutes in port.  Seems like those of us on Western itinerary are less affected then the Eastern trips.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:22 AM, cruiser123! said:

Do you think they'll limp along like this for quite some time, or do you think they'll cancel somewhere and do a drydock

It seems like they are shortening the port times again. Pretty soon we'll do a drive-by the islands.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, pmck said:

Just got an email at 8:30 last night that our 05/26/19 cruise on the Allure has some itinerary changes.  We will be staying an extra hour in St. Maarten and losing 2 in San Juan, so they can make it to Labadee on time.  This is due to the "propulsion issues" and the fact that they will have to cruise slower. Not really that big of a deal for us.  Just glad that we are still sailing. Excited because we changed our flight (originally flying from NJ at 6:40 a.m. on the 26th) to Saturday afternoon now. Had to suck up some airport fees, but want the peace of mind instead.  Now looking to book a hotel in FLL for the night before we sail. 20 more days!! So excited now!! :classic_smile:

Patti

I received the same message.  I was disappointed that we have such a short time in San Juan.  They made sure we have plenty of time in Labadee where they make more money than in San Juan.  It’s better than canceling the cruise 

We are on the Allure right now. We went to San Juan today instead of St Thomas. Had to be back on board by 130pm so it was a quick trip off the boat to see the forts and then back. A lot of people on board weren’t happy with the change in itinerary but we have no choice. 

40 minutes ago, rvmaster said:

We are on the Allure right now. We went to San Juan today instead of St Thomas. Had to be back on board by 130pm so it was a quick trip off the boat to see the forts and then back. A lot of people on board weren’t happy with the change in itinerary but we have no choice. 

I think the big problem is we were off ship at 7:30 to 1:30pm and none of the shops were open until 9:30 so you basically walked around with little to do. For us it wasn’t great as the place isn’t really set up for wheelchairs so it was a struggle and we ended up heading back to the ship at 10am.

Edited by Luminated67

On 4/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, tropical83 said:

I wonder how many sailings have received emails about the itinerary changes.

I have not received anything for May 26. I'm worried they will have to cancel some upcoming sailings to fix the issue...

I did on my Sept sailing.

5 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

It's quite unsettling that the issue will not be fixed by the last week in September!👀😳🤔

To fix the problem ahead of its scheduled due date next year would require dry dock and probably a week. Who’s cruise are they going to cancel.........YOURS, maybe someone else’s🤔?

They are doing their best with the situation to accommodate everyone with the least disruption.

Edited by Luminated67

13 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

It's quite unsettling that the issue will not be fixed by the last week in September!👀😳🤔

We can only speculate, but my guess is Allure won't be fixed until scheduled drydock in April and that will be in Spain. RCL has already commented that the scheduled February refurb (forget the exact ship) would be done in Spain so they aren't holding out much hope that Freeport will be fixed anytime soon.

I don't think there is anything unsettling about the current condition. She could go on like this for a very long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

We can only speculate, but my guess is Allure won't be fixed until scheduled drydock in April and that will be in Spain. RCL has already commented that the scheduled February refurb (forget the exact ship) would be done in Spain so they aren't holding out much hope that Freeport will be fixed anytime soon.

I don't think there is anything unsettling about the current condition. She could go on like this for a very long time.

Good to  know, thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doones2 said:

I received the same message.  I was disappointed that we have such a short time in San Juan.  They made sure we have plenty of time in Labadee where they make more money than in San Juan.  It’s better than canceling the cruise 

2 hours ago, doones2 said:

Yes, we are too.. was nervous that we have been waiting for so long, that to cancel or postpone now would be really lousy!!  We were going to do an excursion in San Juan, but now will just do something on our own I guess! Not much time!  10 more days!! 

There was a post in the Oasis incident thread indicating someone found a post by an employee of the shipyard.  That employee indicated the dock involved was beyond repair and they were trying to source a used dock of a similar size while also exploring options to properly dry dock the large ships in Freeport.  Until then, they go to Cadiz for any below-waterline work...

• 6 months later...

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. On Allure now. The captain confirmed that the propellers have been removed from the starboard azipod and are sitting on the dock at Port Everglades until the TA. This was done to prevent further damage. The ship’s cruising speed has been reduced by about two knots to about 18 knots.

A5882D35-A187-41D5-AC8C-074B21E664BE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. On Allure now. The captain confirmed that the propellers have been removed from the starboard azipod and are sitting on the dock at Port Everglades until the TA. This was done to prevent further damage. The ship’s cruising speed has been reduced by about two knots to about 18 knots.

A5882D35-A187-41D5-AC8C-074B21E664BE.jpeg

Picture quoted for effect. 

Didn’t realize Allure has 5 bladed props?

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

I thought they did this a few weeks ago and left T 18 after midnight.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, cruiser123! said:

I saw a couple of posts on FB regarding the Allure adjusting it’s itinerarh because it needs to slow down.  The comments suggest an azipod issue.    How does this get fixed?   We cruise in July so I’m hoping it’s done way before that 

thoughts?

She going into dry dock in April so I’d imagine it will be fixed 

30 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

She going into dry dock in April so I’d imagine it will be fixed 

The Captain also confirmed that the azipod will be repaired in Cadiz after Allure drops off the transatlantic passengers in Barcelona. The cruise will not end in Cadiz because the port isn’t set up for unloading 6,000 passengers and the major airports are too far away.