Elite Benefits in Lounge Happy Hour

geordielass

We just became Elite on the Royal last month and we were wondering what kind of discounts they offer to Platinum and Elites in the lounge during Happy Hour from 5 pm. 

we were told that Elites can buy drinks and bottles of wine at a discount.

There is a Platinum/Elite/Suite "whoop-de-do" every evening with a discounted drink and a bit of nosh but you have been eligible for that ever since becoming Platinum and it's not much of a perk. The drinks went up in price and the selection went to pot. If you are asking about something else I have no idea what it might be. Perhaps someone else will know?

• Like 1

I agree with Thrak. Other than the Plat/Elite cocktail party, I’m not aware of any other drink perks for Elite. You do get a 10% discount in the shops. Perhaps that applies to bottles purchased there?  We haven’t done that ourselves. 

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

There is a Platinum/Elite/Suite "whoop-de-do" every evening with a discounted drink and a bit of nosh but you have been eligible for that ever since becoming Platinum and it's not much of a perk. The drinks went up in price and the selection went to pot. If you are asking about something else I have no idea what it might be. Perhaps someone else will know?

Thanks for your response. I dont really think the perks are what makes me choose a certain cruise line and we dont usually use them especially lining up in a long line for the captains party but someone on the last cruise said there was a discount if you bought wine in the Plat/Elite cocktail party. 

*Limited selection of drinks at a cost of around $7.40 including the gratuity. Other drinks from the regular menu are available at normal price.

*Nice layout of pre-dinner apps. Menu changes each evening. You will receive a card in your cabins with details.

*Really can  only be used if you dine late. It opens during the early dining time.

*Can be crowded.

*We seldom go.

*Try it out. See if you enjoy it or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RRFan said:

I agree with Thrak. Other than the Plat/Elite cocktail party, I’m not aware of any other drink perks for Elite. You do get a 10% discount in the shops. Perhaps that applies to bottles purchased there?  We haven’t done that ourselves. 

I think it was bottles of wine they were telling us about. If you bought 4 you got 50% off. We did have the wine package which saved a bit and also bought a case of the smaller Robert Mondavi Chardonnay for $5 a bottle and kept it in the room fridge . We were on the 49 day South America on the Royal so we used wine package in dining room and took our own bottle to Italian several nights. Thanks for your insight. 

I went to see what EPS "cocktail party" on the Grand last week as it was my first time in a suite.

I thought that I walked into the morgue down on Gala deck. There were less than 20 people in attendance including the 2 bartenders and a waitress. I felt like I was the youngest passenger there and I'm 62.

I had a drink with the staff and left.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Boo Hoo.......not a good perk anymore.  🙁

I agree.  We stopped going to those venues long ago - I think when we turned Platinum we went to one and that was enough.  We weren't impressed.  Too many Platinums and Elites for Princess to keep giving out "perks" because they already have you.  It's the same I'm hearing on other cruiselines as well.  I'm noticing with a couple of the CC I have that some of the perks have stopped, and nothing was given out to replace those perks.  Maybe it's due to so many people being in CC debt that they're losing money.  Princess figures they already have you onboard, so if you allow them, they will reach further into your pockets.  Also, once you've reached Platinum/Elite status with the cruiseline, they know you're already a savvy cruiser with them and you're more than likely not to open up your wallet so freely.  At least we don't.  BTW, the one venue that I thought was worth attending was the Happy Hour.  Well that's gone too. Sigh....

3 hours ago, skynight said:

*Limited selection of drinks at a cost of around $7.40 including the gratuity. Other drinks from the regular menu are available at normal price.

*Nice layout of pre-dinner apps. Menu changes each evening. You will receive a card in your cabins with details.

*Really can  only be used if you dine late. It opens during the early dining time.

*Can be crowded.

*We seldom go.

*Try it out. See if you enjoy it or not.

"skynight" gives a very good summary of what to expect.

13 hours ago, geordielass said:

We just became Elite on the Royal last month and we were wondering what kind of discounts they offer to Platinum and Elites in the lounge during Happy Hour from 5 pm. 

we were told that Elites can buy drinks and bottles of wine at a discount.

I want to add the lounge works the same for Platinum, Elites, and Full Suite passengers. No difference. What you experienced as a Platinum you will see as an Elite. No difference.

The card you receive in your cabin/suite about what is served is deceiving, one night it said nacho chips with homemade guacamole so we assumed it was Only going to be that, we have never gone to one but on the 2nd night of our Emerald cruise 2 weeks ago we went and was Very impressed of the amount of Spread they did! We do the BP so the drinks situation is not an issue! We are on the Golden in May so we will Definitely go to the P/E/S event again!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, voljeep said:

We've never done it ... but will try to squeeze it in, if only for a quick drink ... also will have the PBP ...

I believe Skywalkers

48 minutes ago, voljeep said:

where is it usually held on the CB?

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

We've never done it ... but will try to squeeze it in, if only for a quick drink ... also will have the PBP ...

Normally Skywalker's, but could be Club Fusion. The location will be on the card. With the PBP you can order whatever you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

20 minutes ago, skynight said:

Normally Skywalker's, but could be Club Fusion. The location will be on the card. With the PBP you can order whatever you like.

On some of our CB sailings it was in Club Fusion.  On some other CB sailings it was at Skywalker's.  

8 hours ago, paul929207 said:

There are a few (8 or so) drinks that are "on special" for the E/P/S cocktail party. None of them appeal to me. So, if I don't have the beverage package, I just order what I want.

The Mayan Mule is reasonably good on that menu. It's unfortunate they removed the Chairman of the Board and the 24k Margarita though. Two of my favorite drinks. (Although there is a thread about Princess changing the ingredients of the Chairman of the Board. That is a terrible decision.)

2 hours ago, OCruisers said:

On some of our CB sailings it was in Club Fusion.  On some other CB sailings it was at Skywalker's.  

It is usually dependent upon how many platinums, elites and suites are on board.  The larger the number they have no choice but to hold it Club Fusion.

On the Royal class ships (which don't have a Skywalkers) it is usually held in Club 6, a very poor alternative (smaller, bad layout and crappy views) in comparison to Skywalkers.

• Like 2