Acadia National Park and Lobster Lunch

RonnieCosmic

I wasn't sure whether to put this question in the Ports of Call section or the Royal section, but I was wondering if anyone has taken the ACADIA NATIONAL PARK AND LOBSTER LUNCH excursion with Royal Caribbean and cares to share their experiences.

Thanks!

No reason to book this with the cruiseline. We booked the Acadia National Park tour directly with them on their website...easy to do. They also gave us a discount to then eat at Testa's Restaurant after the tour when booking directly. This tour was just great and would highly recommend booking it yourself. Look at their online website and pricing vs the $$'s the cruiseline wants. You'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 2:29 AM, Ashland said:

No reason to book this with the cruiseline. We booked the Acadia National Park tour directly with them on their website...easy to do. They also gave us a discount to then eat at Testa's Restaurant after the tour when booking directly. This tour was just great and would highly recommend booking it yourself. Look at their online website and pricing vs the $$'s the cruiseline wants. You'll be glad you did.

I am also considering this excursion.  Why would you need a discount to eat at Testa's if lunch is included?  Is the lobster lunch not good?

Edited by Mythbuster
Left out something

2 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

I am also considering this excursion.  Why would you need a discount to eat at Testa's if lunch is included?  Is the lobster lunch not good?

Sorry you're confused.   We're talking about the tour booked directly with Acadia National Park (not the cruiseline) and no, there is no lunch included with this tour booked on Acadia's website (Google this for info on their tour)...hence the nice discount at Testa's....and they do have great food which certainly includes lobster offered many ways on their menu.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sorry you're confused.   We're talking about the tour booked directly with Acadia National Park (not the cruiseline) and no, there is no lunch included with this tour booked on Acadia's website (Google this for info on their tour)...hence the nice discount at Testa's....and they do have great food which certainly includes lobster offered many ways on their menu.

I am not the one who is confused.  The OP specifically asked about the RCCL Acadia and Lobster Lunch tour.  Since you said you could book the same directly through Acadia's site for a lower price, I assumed you meant including the Lobster lunch or it would not be apples to apples.  Is Testa's the same place you go on the RCCL tour, or do they take you to a different restaurant?

• Like 1

I cannot comment on the tour offered by RC.  But Ashland was making the point that Acadia National Park is so easy to do on your own.

We have been to Bar Harbor three times on Celebrity sailings.  We did a wonderful tour of Acadia Park using Ollie's Trolley.  And we have purchased lunch at one of the many Bar Harbor restaurants each time -- virtually all of which have lobster offerings. So just check the prices of booking a tour on your own through either Ollie's Trolley or Acadia National Park Tours.  Also check prices for lobster meals at several  Bar Harbor restaurants.  Our favorite Bar Harbor restaurant is 59 Cottage.  Whether taking the cruise line excursion or no may be clear afte checking prices.

3 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

I am not the one who is confused.  The OP specifically asked about the RCCL Acadia and Lobster Lunch tour.  Since you said you could book the same directly through Acadia's site for a lower price, I assumed you meant including the Lobster lunch or it would not be apples to apples.  Is Testa's the same place you go on the RCCL tour, or do they take you to a different restaurant?

I didn't say you could book the same tour, and am sorry you "assumed" it that way....I was just providing an alternative suggestion to the OP for touring ANP....I guess it was apples to oranges in your opinion.

I have no idea where RCI takes those booked with them for lunch...I tend to avoid those overpriced huge big bus tour's and certainly knew ANP wasn't were one of those would be ideal. But enjoy whatever you and the OP decide will work out best for you....nice to have choices.

22 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

The cruise line tour will be a bus, not many photo ops and lunch used to be at a pavilion. Take Ollies and find a great place in town for  lobster. We like West St Cafe

I agree.  Oli’s Trolley tour of Acadia National Park, followed by lunch at West Street Cafe.  Be sure to have a piece of blueberry pie.  

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, RonnieCosmic said:

I wasn't sure whether to put this question in the Ports of Call section or the Royal section, but I was wondering if anyone has taken the ACADIA NATIONAL PARK AND LOBSTER LUNCH excursion with Royal Caribbean and cares to share their experiences.

Thanks!

Has anyone taken the tour with the ship that can provide commentary as to their experience for OP and myself?  I have excursion credits and am taking this excursion with the ship.  I understand that there are other options but am still wondering how it worked out for anyone who did the ship tour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used a Private Tour company for an Acadia National Park tour that they would be willing to share the name and their experience with the company. I am trying to organize a private small group tour from our cruise ship roll call for a tour when we are in Bar Harbor in early November.  Thanks!

On 4/16/2019 at 7:07 AM, sun_lovin!1 said:

Has anyone taken the tour with the ship that can provide commentary as to their experience for OP and myself?  I have excursion credits and am taking this excursion with the ship.  I understand that there are other options but am still wondering how it worked out for anyone who did the ship tour.

I have just booked this excursion in CDN dollars.   If I change my mine I can cancel.  The seats that look like wooden slats in the trolley didn't appeal to me   and I liked the included lunch.  Go to trip advisor and there are lots of pictures of the food. and good comments.

1 hour ago, squadron said:

I have just booked this excursion in CDN dollars.   If I change my mine I can cancel.  The seats that look like wooden slats in the trolley didn't appeal to me   and I liked the included lunch.  Go to trip advisor and there are lots of pictures of the food. and good comments.

The "trolley" seats didn't appeal to me either and why I booked directly with ANP...comfortable padded seats....and a discount for lunch at Testa's.

Lunch at Bar Harbor has plenty of great options...I wouldn't book just because of an included lunch...but hope you enjoy what you've decided will work for you.

Our next trip there in October (Snowbird RCI cruise) we've booked with some roll call member's with At Your Service...this tour sounds great and we're looking forward to it and another chance to visit this amazing little town.

Bar Harbor, Me. is such a wonderful Port of call.

Animal friendly too. Chocolate/Fudge lovers do delight here.

Take your time to plan well and have Plan A,B,C,D and e ready as Murphy is always about..

FYI: The Isnmad Explorer Bus is Gratis and does have a few Routes . Only about 2 blocks from where the Life Boats let you off.

Thanks for eating Lobsters and Scallops from Maine. As it is a profession in Maine.

Edited by AAAAmerican

On 4/26/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ashland said:

The "trolley" seats didn't appeal to me either and why I booked directly with ANP...comfortable padded seats....and a discount for lunch at Testa's.

Lunch at Bar Harbor has plenty of great options...I wouldn't book just because of an included lunch...but hope you enjoy what you've decided will work for you.

Our next trip there in October (Snowbird RCI cruise) we've booked with some roll call member's with At Your Service...this tour sounds great and we're looking forward to it and another chance to visit this amazing little town.

I know it is early, but when you return in October, can you post how the cruise was?  i am booked for mid October 2020 (yes, forever from now) and was reading how a lot of the stores and such are closed down for the season.  I am wondering if we made a mistake booking so late?  I have been on the same itinerary 10 years ago the first week of October with no issues. TIA.

I certainly will...But I'll just offer that I was on the Canada/New England cruise middle of October 2017 and nothing was closed the season was still in full swing at all our ports...everything was very busy. I think you will find the same.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:48 AM, BPCruiser said:

Has anyone used a Private Tour company for an Acadia National Park tour that they would be willing to share the name and their experience with the company. I am trying to organize a private small group tour from our cruise ship roll call for a tour when we are in Bar Harbor in early November.  Thanks!

The two private tour companies seem to be Olli's Trollies or Acadia National Park Tours.  We have done Ollie's, and while they are a little more expensive (at least at the time) than the other company, the tour was excellent. The other company (ANPT) is also well reviewed.   And I don't remember any issues with the seats on Ollie's, which I remember were very comfortable.

We've been on several NCL cruises that included stops in Bar Harbor.  We take the free bus service to Acadia National Park.  (L L Bean helps pay for it, to help cut down on private car emissions in the park.) It's a short walk from the tender pier.  There is a national park admission charge, but if you already have a national park membership card, then the bus is truly free.  Go online to find their schedule and route maps.  Buses leave frequently, and cover most areas of the park.  You just hop off when you wish, then get another bus when it comes along.  With a little research on the park, you'll know which attractions you'll want to stop for.

Jim and I get off at the entrance to the historic Jordan Pond House, the only restaurant in Acadia.  It's full of tourists (like us!), but we love having lunch there.  (Try the lobster bisque and blueberry popovers.)   Again, just go to their web site to view menus, then call direct to book lunch.  They are popular, and fill up fast!  Before or after lunch, hike along some of the well-marked trails, then grab a national park bus back to Bar Harbor.  You'll still have time to explore the town before your ship leaves. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, PatJim said:

We've been on several NCL cruises that included stops in Bar Harbor.  We take the free bus service to Acadia National Park.  (L L Bean helps pay for it, to help cut down on private car emissions in the park.) It's a short walk from the tender pier.  There is a national park admission charge, but if you already have a national park membership card, then the bus is truly free.  Go online to find their schedule and route maps.  Buses leave frequently, and cover most areas of the park.  You just hop off when you wish, then get another bus when it comes along.  With a little research on the park, you'll know which attractions you'll want to stop for.

Jim and I get off at the entrance to the historic Jordan Pond House, the only restaurant in Acadia.  It's full of tourists (like us!), but we love having lunch there.  (Try the lobster bisque and blueberry popovers.)   Again, just go to their web site to view menus, then call direct to book lunch.  They are popular, and fill up fast!  Before or after lunch, hike along some of the well-marked trails, then grab a national park bus back to Bar Harbor.  You'll still have time to explore the town before your ship leaves. 

Thanks for the information for the free bus to Acadia National Park.  I just looked it up.. Here's the link.......http://exploreacadia.com/

Island Explorer summer schedules are in effect from June 23 through August 26, 2019. Fall service continues through Columbus Day (October 14, 2019). Bus service on Schoodic peninsula begins in late May.

Edited by Parrotheadtoo
Added dates that Island Explorer is in service...
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Parrotheadtoo said:

Does anyone know if there is transportation to LLBEAN from Bar harbor?  

It's 2.5 hours from Bar Harbor to Freeport.  Not sure I'd want to waste that much time each way, when you can buy their stuff online.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, Ashland said:

Do you happen to remember how much the discount at Testa's was at the completion of the tour? 

12 hours ago, doublej said:

Do you happen to remember how much the discount at Testa's was at the completion of the tour? 

I believe it was 10%...but this small amount wasn't the reason we chose the tour.