Observations AT Port Of CIVITAVEVCCHIA, ITALY

Keith1010

Today we are docked at the port.

This is my third visit to the port since the port entrance gate was moved.

On the first visit we were disembarking the ship.  Most recently last September  we were embarking this ship.

Today the port stop is a stop on our voyage.

For those who want to get off the ship and walk to the new port entrance I would recommend against it.  It might be a long walk but it also would involve walking not only on a sidewalk but on the actual road.  

Some have asked about catching the train.  Give yourself a lot of time.  Why?

Because you need to take the in port shuttle and how often it runs varies.  Today it took awhile.

Once you are dropped off the walk to the train station is a greater distance than before.

Your other options are a bus or a taxi.

IMG_8532.thumb.jpg.3c4c22c7a012c892132c4dfecced3ca9.jpg

For those who like to have the option of finding a tour on the fly the one positive with the change of entrance for the port is that you have a bunch of vendors at the in-port shuttle drop off trying to sell you tours.  I didn't take a photo of all the vendors but just took one of a sign.

IMG_3271.thumb.jpg.666abb0eae841d37f9a12a1919ace87d.jpg

Personally I am sorry that the entrance was moved.  I always enjoyed the simplicity of walking from ship to the entrance and walking the town from that area.

I do realized that the benefits to the change is better port security and the ability to handle more ships than ever before.

Keith

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

10 euros for a tour of Rome, or a transfer to various places around Rome? Really? Am I missing something?

Yeah - thought the same thing. Pretty inexpensive, eh? 🤔 Gotta be a "catch".

BTW - thanks for posting the photos Keith. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

I am thinking that it is a shared bus of some sort but who knows.

I do want to note that I spoke with some guests who said their shuttle stopped in two areas and one was closer to where the fort was so maybe there is more than one alternative but clearly we had no options on our shuttle.

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith -- good info.

One of the frustrating things since the entrance was moved is the seeming inconsistency of where the port shuttles can/will/should stop. Some people have said they will stop near the old Fort entrance, and for others (including myself) the experience has been that they do not stop there.  I guess it is Italy, after all!

I would say the best advice is to allow plenty of time. I have done the port shuttle to the entrance and then the bus to the train station and it does take longer than the old option of walking to the train station from the Fort entrance...

Re: tours -- I imagine the 10 euro charge is per person for a full van.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Also, given that the sign mentions transfers with the "tour", I'll bet the transportation is just one way, to Rome, and you've got to find your own way back.

Or is it a tour that you take when your train or transfer gets to Rome? And drops you back at that Rome station an hour later.

JB :classic_wink:

The entrance at the Fortress is still open. But the shuttle busses don´t stop there anymore - only at certain times for the parking lot there.

So when you´re docking at 10 to 13 walking is an option. But be aware that you need at least 30 min from 13 to the train station (walking fast). You can also walk from Largo della Pace to the train station which is 20 min. When you dock at 25 there´s no real option for walking. The shuttle bus to Largo della Pace is the faster option.

steamboats

45 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We have a private car booked to pick us up post-cruise at the port then various stops in Rome before hotel check-in. Where is the car pick-up? 

Probably at the side of your ship, or technically right outside bag claim. Did you ask your provider where they would pick you up?

• Thanks 1

So, having not been to the port in over a year I have a question.  On our last visit, for those who wanted to walk in or out of the port, it was still possible to use the old port entrance by the Fort.  And there were still marked walkways within the port to get to that more convenient entrance.   Has that now been closed?

Hank

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So, having not been to the port in over a year I have a question.  On our last visit, for those who wanted to walk in or out of the port, it was still possible to use the old port entrance by the Fort.  And there were still marked walkways within the port to get to that more convenient entrance.   Has that now been closed?

I am wondering the same thing - can you still exit from the old port entrance by the fort?

On 4/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Probably at the side of your ship, or technically right outside bag claim. Did you ask your provider where they would pick you up?

Correct. The driver will be outside baggage claim. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CruizeVirgin said:

So where exactly do the cruise shuttles drop you off now? I was there last May and it was about a 20 min walk to train station from where the shuttle dropped you off. 

Still the same place - Largo della Pace - a former parking lot. 20 min walking to the train station.

steamboats

On 4/11/2019 at 4:16 AM, Keith1010 said:

Today we are docked at the port.

This is my third visit to the port since the port entrance gate was moved.

On the first visit we were disembarking the ship.  Most recently last September  we were embarking this ship.

Today the port stop is a stop on our voyage.

For those who want to get off the ship and walk to the new port entrance I would recommend against it.  It might be a long walk but it also would involve walking not only on a sidewalk but on the actual road.  

Some have asked about catching the train.  Give yourself a lot of time.  Why?

Because you need to take the in port shuttle and how often it runs varies.  Today it took awhile.

Once you are dropped off the walk to the train station is a greater distance than before.

Your other options are a bus or a taxi.

IMG_8532.thumb.jpg.3c4c22c7a012c892132c4dfecced3ca9.jpg

For those who like to have the option of finding a tour on the fly the one positive with the change of entrance for the port is that you have a bunch of vendors at the in-port shuttle drop off trying to sell you tours.  I didn't take a photo of all the vendors but just took one of a sign.

IMG_3271.thumb.jpg.666abb0eae841d37f9a12a1919ace87d.jpg

Personally I am sorry that the entrance was moved.  I always enjoyed the simplicity of walking from ship to the entrance and walking the town from that area.

I do realized that the benefits to the change is better port security and the ability to handle more ships than ever before.

Keith

So based on this pic, this tour operator will take you to FCO from the cruise port for just 10 euros per person?? 

5 minutes ago, lesley_willis1971 said:

So based on this pic, this tour operator will take you to FCO from the cruise port for just 10 euros per person?? 

It appears that way but I suspect they wait till they fill up the vehicle.

Keith