Cruise Critic Community
Atocha Shipwreck Gal

Federal Judge considers sanctions affecting Carnival that could affect cruises

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/carnival-environmental-incidents-continued-under-probation.html

Per linked story from Seatrade Crusie News, Carnival offered responses in this matter.  If the article is true and accurate, there are some interesting points noted by the court-ordered monitor:

> Carnival did not repeat any of the offenses that led to its original 2016 conviction and probation (involving Princess ships).

> It "substantially implemented the court-ordered ECP".

> The post-probation violations were self-reported to authorities, and/or identified in internal records.  [I assume "internal records" means properly cited in their own logs and communications, although part of the current infractions include falsification of records (it is reported at least in one case that the offending officer was fired)].

Carnival seems to accept and acknowledge their dirty deeds, which we all know is the first step towards recovery.  But, do the recent criminal incidents suggest they are just finding new ways of being environmentally offensive?

Article mentions other cruise lines not under the Carnival Corp & plc umbrella that have been cited and fined for environmental breaches. 

Not a ship operations "insider", but my read is that environmental violations are just common in the shipping business.  Carnival focused on and fixed (loosely) the specific issues that got it on probation, but has yet to resolve the underlying problem that appears to permeate the commercial and cruise industry.

If it is found the actions thus far are just "window dressing", I don't think Carnival is deserving of any mercy.  If, instead, it can be demonstrated that, in spite of the post-probation citations, real and substantial progress is being made, I hope the punishment is tempered accordingly.

29 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/carnival-environmental-incidents-continued-under-probation.html

Per linked story from Seatrade Crusie News, Carnival offered responses in this matter.  If the article is true and accurate, there are some interesting points noted by the court-ordered monitor:

> Carnival did not repeat any of the offenses that led to its original 2016 conviction and probation (involving Princess ships).

> It "substantially implemented the court-ordered ECP".

> The post-probation violations were self-reported to authorities, and/or identified in internal records.  [I assume "internal records" means properly cited in their own logs and communications, although part of the current infractions include falsification of records (it is reported at least in one case that the offending officer was fired)].

Carnival seems to accept and acknowledge their dirty deeds, which we all know is the first step towards recovery.  But, do the recent criminal incidents suggest they are just finding new ways of being environmentally offensive?

Article mentions other cruise lines not under the Carnival Corp & plc umbrella that have been cited and fined for environmental breaches. 

Not a ship operations "insider", but my read is that environmental violations are just common in the shipping business.  Carnival focused on and fixed (loosely) the specific issues that got it on probation, but has yet to resolve the underlying problem that appears to permeate the commercial and cruise industry.

If it is found the actions thus far are just "window dressing", I don't think Carnival is deserving of any mercy.  If, instead, it can be demonstrated that, in spite of the post-probation citations, real and substantial progress is being made, I hope the punishment is tempered accordingly.

While they possibly did not repeat (I haven't read the entire 800 line items) the offenses that triggered the original conviction and probation, the fact that the auditor found 800 separate items in a two year period is very disturbing.

It has taken them two years to "substantially" implement the Environmental Compliance Plan?  The companies I worked for, who didn't have a game plan, came up with a plan, and had it implemented completely within 12 months, including the building of custom monitoring equipment, that has now become standard equipment in a DOJ ECP.  If Carnival could not allocate the assets necessary to fully implement the plan outlined by the court, and agreed to by Carnival, then they should suffer the consequences.

The incidents were "self-reported" or "internally documented", great first step.  What procedures are in place in the ECP to ensure the same things don't happen again (I know I saw repeated discharges of ozone depleting refrigerants in the 800 line items), and were those procedures implemented, and did they work?  What steps beyond reporting an incident did the company make to mitigate an incident when it was reported?  This is the problem I see with Carnival's actions over the last two years, they don't seem to have a process in place to move the company towards better environmental behavior, so they just seem to say "hey, we had an accident, but we didn't mean to" and think that is good enough.

Environmental violations are not common in the maritime world, but they are also unfortunately not unknown.  But, over the last decade or so, some nations like the US are taking tougher stances on the violators and enforcing far stiffer penalties than before.  They are also looking at ways to encourage better behavior by changing corporate thinking, through use of ECP's and mandating this be included in the company's ISM (International Safety Management) document, which puts more onus on the flag state and class society to ensure compliance.

The mere fact that Carnival has had as many violations as they have while under audit, shows that their ECP is not working, and needs a total commitment from the CEO on down.  The fact that Carnival's CEO did not attend the hearing shows how little corporate thinks about this.