Price of Butchers Cut dining - is it a la carte pricing?

claiream3

Hi, read an inaugural cruise review for Bellissima on this site that there was a cost of around 35Euro for a steak in Butchers Cut speciality restaurant - is this really the case? I can see on my cruise account there is the option of booking 3 restaurants in advance and paying I think around £72pp which I think is a good deal, however is it a good deal because once inside is each menu item then individually priced?

I've never known this on all previous cruises.

Thank you in advance

There's a limited menu offered in the dining packages. In Butcher's Cut, it's under the Dining Experience section. You can choose a starter, mains and dessert. Here's a photo of the full menu:

15a3a9686bebf5b190bed0cfee29a00a.jpg

79e9a0266553ba28d3013c5fe947f082.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are the steaks worth that cost?

[Aside: [my hobby horse] the 'NY Cheesecake' is NOT a NY Cheesecake, or even a 'NY-style Cheesecake' – because it includes a Graham Cracker crust.  NY Cheesecake has a pastry crust.  'No substitutions.']

I've said it on the forum before - I'd love to find a restaurant on land that offered a 3 course dinner for €39 pp with that 'Dining Experience' menu AND for it to be as delicious as what we've had in Butcher's Cut.

Thanks Bea for the input.  If I understood correctly by other threads, there should be a Butcher’s Cut on Divina when we sail in November. We will remember your comments and check it out.  I think you are right that the price is acceptable IF the steaks are indeed outstanding.  Yet, would you recommend the expense should one be in YC?

Very good question, Z.  As Black Card members, we've only eaten in BC because of the complimentary meal.  If we were on a 7 night cruise, I don't think I'd pay to go due to what it costs to be in YC in the first place!

However, we're on Meraviglia for 23 nights later this year and we're considering paying for a "night out" in BC other than for our Black Card perk, as a break from dining every evening in the YC restaurant.  We would only order from the 'Dining Experience' menu, though.  At €39, it really is great value.  I don't go for the steak;  I have the rack of lamb, DH has the sirloin steak.  The house chop salad is delicious, too - even DH thinks so ... and he's not one for ordering salads (though I don't think that's included as a starter on US Dining Experience section of the menu - I saw a photo of one on here before and I remember being surprised that the menu differed slightly in that regard from the Med one).   As for the cheesecake ... it's to die for!

Some images from BC:

Cheesecake

716f8cfa77eb41cfc3c4bd58fef7e39e.jpg

Shrimp cocktail

e19dcff460305336ea376262ae5f259e.jpg

House Chop Salad

c1a2d574bdb0e1530780832a4aaadf8a.jpg

Filet Mignon

bbd56e6533db3ebd2aa00d7427b024aa.jpg

Rack of Lamb

bca0bc8c80ab7edcaabdf2aa83f5b0be.jpg

Bread & Water (lol)

0fb0cb1d2712b9817eeba7bee28b7f9d.jpg

The sides we've had were mash, onion rings and fries.

Smoked mashed potato (this was not nice so we never ordered it again on our 2 other BC visits)

d45d6f67d3b6797f54ddf916b48e5a06.jpg

Onion rings

b704633a46a54d43c610b8228ba31ad4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

Thanks Bea for the input.  If I understood correctly by other threads, there should be a Butcher’s Cut on Divina when we sail in November. We will remember your comments and check it out.  I think you are right that the price is acceptable IF the steaks are indeed outstanding.  Yet, would you recommend the expense should one be in YC?

We saw that question too.  At least on Seaside they specialties are open on sea days and we went for lunch.  It was a great meal and leisurely lunch.  We all got different sides and shared.  The chop salad was pretty filling in its own right.

Yup, not a NY Cheesecake.  It may be very enjoyable, but I have to stick up for Truth in Advertising!

THIS is a NY Cheesecake (from S&S in the Bronx, the best!).  Note the real pastry crust.

cheesecake_BIG_NY.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:14 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are the steaks worth that cost?

[Aside: [my hobby horse] the 'NY Cheesecake' is NOT a NY Cheesecake, or even a 'NY-style Cheesecake' – because it includes a Graham Cracker crust.  NY Cheesecake has a pastry crust.  'No substitutions.']

OMG!  Now I have to take on a mod?  I was born in NYC.  DW was born in Brooklyn, spent much of her life in Brooklyn and taught school at a private school near Central Park.  DD lives in lower Manhattan (with my two grandsons) as we speak.  When I was a kid the #1 Cheesecake in NYC (and the world) came from Lindy's.  Carnegie Deli probably had about the best cheesecake until it closed 2 years ago.  And all that cheesecake had something in common.  Graham Cracker Crust.  I read DW your post and her immediate reaction was "that person must be from Nebraska!"

If you want further confirmation just Google NY Cheesecake recipes and you will find nearly all have graham cracker crust (also called cookie crust).  As to the best NY Cheesecake EVER....it was made by my Mother (long gone).  And trust me that it always had Graham Cracker crust.    These days everyone wants to put their own spin on the old recipe.  Juniors (Brooklyn) has fabulous Cheesecake but they put it on a sponge cake base (go figure).   

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

OMG!  Now I have to take on a mod?  I was born in NYC.  DW was born in Brooklyn, spent much of her life in Brooklyn and taught school at a private school near Central Park.  DD lives in lower Manhattan (with my two grandsons) as we speak.  When I was a kid the #1 Cheesecake in NYC (and the world) came from Lindy's.  Carnegie Deli probably had about the best cheesecake until it closed 2 years ago.  And all that cheesecake had something in common.  Graham Cracker Crust.  I read DW your post and her immediate reaction was "that person must be from Nebraska!"

If you want further confirmation just Google NY Cheesecake recipes and you will find nearly all have graham cracker crust (also called cookie crust).  As to the best NY Cheesecake EVER....it was made by my Mother (long gone).  And trust me that it always had Graham Cracker crust.    These days everyone wants to put their own spin on the old recipe.  Juniors (Brooklyn) has fabulous Cheesecake but they put it on a sponge cake base (go figure).   

Hank

Fuhgeddaboudit.  I'm saying S&S in the Bronx is the best.  [I never liked Junior's – the cheesecake or the restaurant.]  And the Bronx is better than Brooklyn, too.  [They certainly have the better 'cheer'!]  But you have the right to be wrong :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smoothcruiser said:

The cheesecake served on msc, although very tasty and presented well, is not the true New York cheesecake.

Here's one person who's soooo glad it's not!  The cheesecake in BC is to die for!  I've also had almost as good in YC on Meraviglia (though it wasn't topped with strawberries - or anything else, for that matter).

5 hours ago, smoothcruiser said:

Another vote here for Host Jazzbeaus original New York Cheesecake, which is the original type recipe.

The cheesecake served on msc, although very tasty and presented well, is not the true New York cheesecake.

My goodness, we are talking about an "Italian" cruise line and the Italians never could figure out how to make  good New York Cheesecake.  Try finding good cheesecake in Italy and you will quickly agree.  But as the self-appointed world's expert on NY Cheesecake, I must say that we have never had anything close to NY Cheesecake on any cruise line (we have been on 15 lines over the past 40+ Years).  Princess  and Celebrity both make a good attempt, but the real thing requires using a high proportion of cream cheese which is an expensive proposition.   I once chatted with an Executive Chef on a large Princess ship and we had a lot of fun with the subject of how much cream cheese should be in a cheesecake.  His comment was along the lines that the ship would sink from the weight of all the cream cheese he would need to make real NY Cheesecake :).   

Hank