Non-Refundable vs Refundable cruise deposit on RCL

I've noticed that RCL generally only shows the NRFD (non-refundable deposit) price on their website these days. I came across this article from another website that explains how we can find the RFD (refundable deposit) price. I'm somewhat intrigue and was wondering why RCL would even bother with two separate prices? Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm booking a cruise way far out like say over a year, wouldn't it be best I simply book using the RFD (refundable pricing)? Pay the extra premium to lock in you cruise pricing assuming you've found a wicked deal and lock in your cruise stateroom. As the days come closer to the cruise date, can't we simply call up RCL and request to have the RFD premium removed and simply pay the NRFD price? I assume that by that time closer to the cruise date, most people would know if they can travel or not. 

I figure using this method will protect me from rare cases where I'm unable to go for whatever reason and still get 100% of my deposit back. Should I confirm and decide I'm proceeding with the cruise then I switch the booking to the NFRD to save some money. ---Unless I'm smoking something here and somehow we are not allowed to do that????

I do know that if I book the NRFD pricing I technically can cancel my sailing but that I'm subject to $100 per guest fee and the remaining deposit amount can be used to book a future cruise within 1yr. 

Can someone please help clarify this?

Edited by EgNyTeR

28 minutes ago, EgNyTeR said:

Pay the extra premium to lock in you cruise pricing assuming you've found a wicked deal and lock in your cruise stateroom. As the days come closer to the cruise date, can't we simply call up RCL and request to have the RFD premium removed and simply pay the NRFD price?

Can someone please help clarify this?

By the time you switch from refundable to NRD, the price could go way up - you don't just get to "remove" the refundable premium, you pay the going rate at that time.

Like Biker said by the time you get closer to the cruise date the prices have gone up.  We book mostly refundable and so far in all cases right now the non refundable rates are MORE than what I have presently booked at refundable.

Edited by molly361

Just as they've said - I book refundable when possible as I prefer the flexibility even at a higher price, and while I will hope for favorable repricing at some point, I don't bank on it.  Just had to cancel a 2020 cruise we booked and was so happy I had sprung for the refundable deposit!