mobility issues - walker - suite options on Allure

Hi, my father in law has a walker and I looked to see what accessible cabins were available in the suite category on the Allure and right now it's the loft which is strange because he'd have to stay downstairs.  Anyhow, anyone with a 1 bedroom have a walker and was there enough space for you?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Hi, my father in law has a walker and I looked to see what accessible cabins were available in the suite category on the Allure and right now it's the loft which is strange because he'd have to stay downstairs.  Anyhow, anyone with a 1 bedroom have a walker and was there enough space for you?  Thanks.

If its the accessible crown loft suite, it has an elevator.  Bucket list cabin for this full time wheelchair user 🙂  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

If your family member only needs a walker and not a wheelchair, then any standard cabin or suite should work just fine, he probably doesn't really need an accessible cabin.  The accessible cabins are very limited and get reserved quickly.  My husband is a full time wheelchair user (quadriplegic) and we could not cruise without an accessible cabin so we need to book at least 18 months ahead to get what we need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Well crap, I just clicked on it and it showed available but now it's showing unavailable.  No other suite accessibles are showing up for my dates.  Thoughts on which cabin to choose?

Keep watching. Might be gone but I've checked on a cabin, few min later was non available. Within hr or next day it was ago. Maybe will be released again. Good luck

10 hours ago, Texasgingerbread said:

It's Thanksgiving 2020 so you'd think there would be more availability than this!  Wow.

Sorry but if you want a specific accessible cabin you have to book that cabin 18 months - 2 years in advance. 

14 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

If he wants a suite, he would need an accessible. It is very difficult for able bodied people to get into the tubs let alone someone who needs a walker. Owners suites have a shower as well as a Tub. 

while I mostly agree with this, I was able to  make do by sitting on the very wide edge of the tub in a GS and swing my legs over.   there is also a quite deep  ledge/seat at the back end as well and  grab bars on mostly reasonably accessible spots.  this was both pre and post Hip replacement surgery( the latter being about 90 days post op so still on   a few fairly restrictive surgery protocols. and using walker in port) 

I dearly want a Crown Loft in my future but stairs are not my friend.   at the same time I cannot justify taking  a HA CLS  from someone who needs that elevator far more than I do.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Will do.  It's Thanksgiving 2020 so you'd think there would be more availability than this!  Wow.

nope.  Holiday  PLUS  HA equals: sold out within days of the schedule being released.  

5 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Sorry but if you want a specific accessible cabin you have to book that cabin 18 months - 2 years in advance. 

Yeah we booked in November 2018 but he was healthy then.  His kidneys have failed and now he needs a walker because he's so weak.  I'm hoping he actually makes it on this cruise next year but in the meantime I'm trying to plan accordingly.  We have 11 rooms booked and currently I have him in a junior suite.  I was going to rebook him into suite level to get priority boarding and be closer to the lounge.  His walker does squeeze in and out so we might be okay in a grand suite.  I worry about the bathroom.

16 hours ago, orkaren1 said:

If your family member only needs a walker and not a wheelchair, then any standard cabin or suite should work just fine, he probably doesn't really need an accessible cabin.  The accessible cabins are very limited and get reserved quickly.  My husband is a full time wheelchair user (quadriplegic) and we could not cruise without an accessible cabin so we need to book at least 18 months ahead to get what we need.

I think he'll be in a wheelchair in a year so I'm trying to plan accordingly.

43 minutes ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Yeah we booked in November 2018 but he was healthy then.  His kidneys have failed and now he needs a walker because he's so weak.  I'm hoping he actually makes it on this cruise next year but in the meantime I'm trying to plan accordingly.  We have 11 rooms booked and currently I have him in a junior suite.  I was going to rebook him into suite level to get priority boarding and be closer to the lounge.  His walker does squeeze in and out so we might be okay in a grand suite.  I worry about the bathroom.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you thought about keeping the Junior Suite and try to persuade your dad he would benefit from wheelchair assistance on boarding day.  If you think your dad will be in a wheelchair in 2020 just book any accessible cabin. You might still be able to get an accessible balcony.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Texasgingerbread said:

I think he'll be in a wheelchair in a year so I'm trying to plan accordingly.

I believe the cruiseline can help with some modifications even to a standard room.  They may be able to provide things like a shower chair, raised toilet seat, transfer bench, etc. Just contact their special needs department to see what is availabe. Before he went into his power chair my husband's standard manual chair would fit through the door of a standard room.  A junior suite will give you the extra room needed to turn the chair, storage, etc.  Also, you can rent a wheelchair or scooter and it will be available in your room on embarkation.  I hope your father in law is able to make the cruise, cruising really is the best way for disabled persons to travel.  We have our next cruise scheduled for October this year and I am hoping my husband makes it.  He has a degenerative neurological condition and is deteriorating pretty quickly but we try to keep things as normal as possible and cruising is something he really enjoys.  Good luck to you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you thought about keeping the Junior Suite and try to persuade your dad he would benefit from wheelchair assistance on boarding day.  If you think your dad will be in a wheelchair in 2020 just book any accessible cabin. You might still be able to get an accessible balcony.    

I agree with getting wheelchair assistance on boarding day. My wife has used this service the last couple cruises. We also get assistance getting off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Just an FYI  

The crown loft suites in general all have a sleeper sofa on the first level.

Also on the first level a bathroom, with walk-in shower, minimal ledge to get in, (not a tub), would have no trouble getting in.

Just saying.

• Like 1