Venice shuttle to St Marks

SSAtlantic

We will be staying in Venice overnight after boarding the Celebrity Infinity.  We are thinking about returning to St Marks Square after an early dinner.  Our ACTV pass will be expired by then, and we were wondering if Celebrity has a shuttle to St Marks and what the cost would be?  We could do this on our own, I know, but thought the shuttle would be closer to the ship.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I like your idea of leaving the ship after an early dinner.....   We found Venice to be very charming in the evening after the crowds have left - I wouldn't miss the chance to walk around in the evening...   There is more to Venice than St. Marks, so don't limit your plans to that.   Are you walkers?    It is walkable to go from P. Roma to St. Marks - a very pleasant walk in the evening.

A few thoughts for the OP.  You do not say what kind of ACTV ticket you are planning to purchase, but assuming you are buying a 1 or 2 day pass....adding an extra day only costs 10 Euros which is less costly then paying for 2 vaporetto trips via regular tickets.  But we also agree with CCJack and that is our own practice.  DW and I have spent quite a few days in Venice (for both cruise trips and when just on driving vacations in Italy) and we love walking through the streets...especially at night.  For folks that like long walks, moving between the P. Roma and St Marks area is not a big deal.  I will also mention that having spent a lot of time in Venice, we no longer feel the lure of St Marks Sq.  Sure, it is a great tourist destination and a do not miss place.  But at night it is not on our own bucket list since  we prefer smaller cute restaurants and cafes that will not be found near St Marks Square.

Hank

No ships have shuttles in Venice - no vehicles are allowed in most of the main island. Cars & buses are allowed in small areas near the cruise terminals and from there to the road leading to the mainland.

You can walk or get a Vaporretto - as suggested above you could extend your pass by a day, or just buy a couple of tickets. However if you are in Venice for a day or 2 before your cruise I’d suggest you see St Marks by night then, and just have a walk around some of the areas of Venice closer to the terminal. All of Venice is beautiful.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

No ships have shuttles in Venice - no vehicles are allowed in most of the main island. Cars & buses are allowed in small areas near the cruise terminals and from there to the road leading to the mainland.

Ships have shuttle boats in Venice !

Cunard run shuttles to St Marks but I can't help with Celebrity, it might be worth asking on the Celebrity board.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Ships have shuttle boats in Venice !

Cunard run shuttles to St Marks but I can't help with Celebrity, it might be worth asking on the Celebrity board.

Sorry, my mistake. I know Azamara definitely don’t, and assumed that others wouldn’t as I’ve never seen any ships shuttle boats anywhere in Venice. I will know in future. Thanks for the information.

I have found the Celebrity shuttles (even on overnight stops) to stop running way too early.   They seems to really want you back onboard spending money there.  

Bottom Line:  Do not miss St. Mark's at night!!  That is its most beautiful time.  Yes,. there is probably a shuttle, but check the running times.  You may have to provide your own transportation, at least back to the ship.  

You could also use the Alilaguna water bus, which has a stop at the cruise port and at San Marco on its blue line: https://www.alilaguna.it/linee/linea-blu/orario

It continues to run into the early hours of the morning, so there's no problem coming back rather late at night.

The Alilaguna is more expensive than the regular vaporettos but there isn't a vaporetto stop at the cruise port.  Overall, Venice is not for the faint of pocketbook, walking is the only inexpensive option.

Edited by euro cruiser

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

….………...  Overall, Venice is not for the faint of pocketbook, walking is the only inexpensive option.

On the other hand, compared to Japan, Venice is a true bargain :).

Hank