Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
frito58

Would you be more apt to buy a drink package if you got a discounted price .

Recommended Posts

So as I approach the Diamond level and read more and more about the over crowding of Diamond lounges and honestly I could care less if I go to a crowded lounge a  set time to just get a few free drinks . I would love to see them offer me a bigger discount on the drink pkg. as a perk rather than free dinks between the hours of whatever and whatever . Not saying do away with lounges as I know they are favorite for a lot of people just saying offer an alternative to people that would rather not go there . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a short time, DIamond level was offered a 20% discount on the drink packages.  For whatever reason, that was discontinued and now only D+ and P get discounts (30% and 40% respectively).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, frito58 said:

So as I approach the Diamond level and read more and more about the over crowding of Diamond lounges and honestly I could care less if I go to a crowded lounge a  set time to just get a few free drinks . I would love to see them offer me a bigger discount on the drink pkg. as a perk rather than free dinks between the hours of whatever and whatever . Not saying do away with lounges as I know they are favorite for a lot of people just saying offer an alternative to people that would rather not go there . 

 

This is just my opinion, others may have a different perspective.  For us, I would have to say no.  We don't drink enough to warrant purchasing the drink package.  Also, we really enjoy the Diamond Lounge.  It's a nice chance to meet up with old friends and to make new ones.  Once you reach Diamond level and have the lounge experience you may change your mind about it.  We've not really had issues with overcrowding in the lounges.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t have to go to the lounge for the drinks. You can go to any bar and use the 3 drink vouchers daily. Since I reached Diamond, I find those drinks are enough for me, so I wouldn’t buy a package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Diamond level drinks are more than adequate for us. It would have to be a very steep discount to get us to bite as we refuse to alter our drinking habits just to get our moneys worth. Money is not an issue, and we find the convenience of not signing for each drink, or trying new drinks, doesn't come into play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.  Don’t drink enough booze to justify it at any cost.  I have 2-3 inthe evenings only..and I get those in either of the Lounges(D or C/S).  Dont drink fancy coffee.  Dislike bottled water.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

You don’t have to go to the lounge for the drinks. You can go to any bar and use the 3 drink vouchers daily. Since I reached Diamond, I find those drinks are enough for me, so I wouldn’t buy a package. 

Huh didn't know that , nice to know. We are so borderline on the Drink Pkg we don't get our moneys worth just more or less like the convenience of it that fact we are pre payed , but if we can get 3 free drinks anywhere , well that makes it nice . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  I won't drink more than one or two per day, so the drink package is not for me.  I'm better off bring my wine on board, and buying one or two cocktails in the casino.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, frito58 said:

Huh didn't know that , nice to know. We are so borderline on the Drink Pkg we don't get our moneys worth just more or less like the convenience of it that fact we are pre payed , but if we can get 3 free drinks anywhere , well that makes it nice . 

 

Yes, you do get three free drinks per Diamond member on your seapass card.  Be advised that the 3 free drinks are during Happy Hour only.  Typically around 5:00 until 8:00.  Times vary a little depending on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

Yes, you do get three free drinks per Diamond member on your seapass card.  Be advised that the 3 free drinks are during Happy Hour only.  Typically around 5:00 until 8:00.  Times vary a little depending on the ship.

 

And supposedly only those drinks that are on the Diamond list.

 

To answer the original question I would love the discount for Diamond.  We find that what we normally drink is not of the Diamond drink list and the timeframe for those drinks does not fit into our schedule well. 

 

On sea days we enjoy drinks by the pool, often frozen along with many bottles of water, on port days we usually get a frozen something to take back to the cabin and relax on the balcony (before lounge hours) as well as waters to take off in port.  We are usually getting ready during the earlier lounge hours, then head to dinner where we will have wine, don't care for the lounge wine get something else.  By the time dinner is over the lounge is winding down so our drinks at the show and on are too late.  Add on oj, coffee, and those bottles of water all day and night and it works for us.

 

Could we make it work to have our drinks during the lounge hours, probably, but it's just not for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My answer to your question is yes.

 

We are not HUGE drinkers, however we do tend to drink more while on a vacation (don't have to drive.....).

 

It is just easier and more convenient to not have to worry about a HUGE bill after the cruise is over. It also makes it easier to

try different drinks that we might not normally try. If we don't like them, oh well, order another. 

 

We always get some type of discount on the overpriced packages. We are Diamond+ so every penny discounted helps out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

 

This is just my opinion, others may have a different perspective.  For us, I would have to say no.  We don't drink enough to warrant purchasing the drink package.  Also, we really enjoy the Diamond Lounge.  It's a nice chance to meet up with old friends and to make new ones.  Once you reach Diamond level and have the lounge experience you may change your mind about it.  We've not really had issues with overcrowding in the lounges.  

 

This would be my opinion as well and in Addition to the above mentioned there´s the three drink Coupons loaded each nicht during happy hour on your seapass Card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on the price. When you're spending more or drinking more than you normally would to justify a package, it can be excessive. Sometimes logic goes out the window when "all inclusive" and "alcohol" are in the same sentence like it is always the deal of a lifetime.

 

Royal has one of the best loyalty programs around. 3 free drinks a day is a good perk. I wouldn't need an unlimited package on top of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a D+ with 30% off on board package prices it does change my perspective on certain cruises.  Short cruises with friends or family and the DX with 30% off is sometimes purchased.  Longer cruises and nothing changes - it's still too much money. 

 

Diamond Happy Hour drinks are okay but the menu is limited with cheap well drinks and poor wine.  I dislike the vodka to the point I switch to gin based drinks.  This year they changed the gin so that strategy is under review.  Even though it's free, the wine can be hard to get past the nose.     

 

On those occasions when I have the DX I enjoy those drinks so much more because they aren't made with swill.  This like food is personal.  Given the volume of bottles the DL goes through each night many people love that swill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy it regardless since im a hopeless alcoholic lol.. 5 drinks a day per person covers it for us.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the discount isnt very impressive since the full price is over $60 pd.  I qualify for 40% and dont see any value over booking on cruise planner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice if they would extend the C & A drink package discount to ALL the drink packages and not just the ultimate (alcoholic package). I think a lot more would consider buying the refreshment and other packages if their C&A discount could be applied to that as well. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 1:31 PM, frito58 said:

Huh didn't know that , nice to know. We are so borderline on the Drink Pkg we don't get our moneys worth just more or less like the convenience of it that fact we are pre payed , but if we can get 3 free drinks anywhere , well that makes it nice . 

 


Just put that much cash aside and put it on your account at the beginning of the cruise.  At the end of the week, anything leftover will be refunded to you.  

You have the convenience of being prepaid, while getting your money's worth b/c you're only paying for what you actually drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, twangster said:

As a D+ with 30% off on board package prices it does change my perspective on certain cruises.  Short cruises with friends or family and the DX with 30% off is sometimes purchased.  Longer cruises and nothing changes - it's still too much money. 

 

Diamond Happy Hour drinks are okay but the menu is limited with cheap well drinks and poor wine.  I dislike the vodka to the point I switch to gin based drinks.  This year they changed the gin so that strategy is under review.  Even though it's free, the wine can be hard to get past the nose.     

 

On those occasions when I have the DX I enjoy those drinks so much more because they aren't made with swill.  This like food is personal.  Given the volume of bottles the DL goes through each night many people love that swill.  

 

Another drink snob. Sounds like my ex brother-in-law, equates quality to price paid. I can't make the comparison as I've never tasted swill. If you are going to demean a person on the type of alcohol they drink, you must have a field day with other things like cabin type, food venues, type of car they drive, money, or anything else that doesn't jive with what you like. The word judgmental pops in my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

 

Another drink snob. Sounds like my ex brother-in-law, equates quality to price paid. I can't make the comparison as I've never tasted swill. If you are going to demean a person on the type of alcohol they drink, you must have a field day with other things like cabin type, food venues, type of car they drive, money, or anything else that doesn't jive with what you like. The word judgmental pops in my head. 

 

Looks who is judging.  

 

I don't like the taste.  Nothing about price.  I've demeaned no one, but you have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the spirit of the original question, yes, I would be more inclined at a discounted price, but most likely will anyway, considering their inflated per drink prices they charge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, twangster said:

 

Looks who is judging.  

 

I don't like the taste.  Nothing about price.  I've demeaned no one, but you have.

 

 

We did a blind taste test at home. Straight up and warm, NA is a little intense. Mixed with sugary cranberry juice cocktail and lime, it's fine. 

@Milwaukee Eight

20190303_132449.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

 

We did a blind taste test at home. Straight up and warm, NA is a little intense. Mixed with sugary cranberry juice cocktail and lime, it's fine. 

 

I struggle with a NA vodka martini.  Shaken or stirred.  I simply do not like the taste.  Guess that makes me a vodka snob.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twangster said:

 

I struggle with a NA vodka martini.  Shaken or stirred.  I simply do not like the taste.  Guess that makes me a vodka snob.  

 

That might be accurate.

The martini,  not your snobbery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price is not the reason we do not purchase a drink package. We purchase soda packages but the price has nothing really to do with his purchase, it is a basic requirement for cruising.  Since we have no interest in alcoholic drinks the price of the packages is not a issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...