Seaside YC room classifications

jcathers1

I see the following terminology used for the bedding arrangements for rooms available in the YC: "sofa bed", "double sofa bed", "3rd bed is a bunk bed", "3rd and 4th beds are bunks", and "bunk beds".

Can someone please explain the distinctions between these room types? We have stayed in the style room with a sofa bed that pulled out into a double sleeper ("double sofa bed", I assume). But as our kids get older, I am wondering if that is the only/best arrangement. Is there a room type here that actually has separate beds for the 3rd and 4th people in the room? And can a party of 4 book the rooms with the double sofa and the drop-down/pullman bed? It doesn't appear so to me. Perhaps these are reserved for parties of 5?

TIA.

46 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

I see the following terminology used for the bedding arrangements for rooms available in the YC: "sofa bed", "double sofa bed", "3rd bed is a bunk bed", "3rd and 4th beds are bunks", and "bunk beds".

Can someone please explain the distinctions between these room types? We have stayed in the style room with a sofa bed that pulled out into a double sleeper ("double sofa bed", I assume). But as our kids get older, I am wondering if that is the only/best arrangement. Is there a room type here that actually has separate beds for the 3rd and 4th people in the room? And can a party of 4 book the rooms with the double sofa and the drop-down/pullman bed? It doesn't appear so to me. Perhaps these are reserved for parties of 5?

TIA.

On Seaside there are indeed YC Deluxe cabins with the master bed (two beds together), the double pullout sofa, then a drop down from the ceiling near the balcony.  There are a limited number of them and I had read here that they won't let less than five book them and that is what our TA said as well.  We booked very early on so early many rooms left.  We have teen DS and 20 YO DD so them sleeping in the sofa bed (including seeing the size of it in person) wasn't going to work.

Interesting enough we booked a RS and Deluxe for our trip in June, also very early, and our party of 2 got a room for 5 so who knows.  I have read of one family of 4 recently like our scenario who got one for four.

The beds pushed together on Divinia had a ridge and not that comfy but on Seaside, at least for us, it was pretty comfy and really didn't notice it.

2 minutes ago, dexddd said:

On Seaside there are indeed YC Deluxe cabins with the master bed (two beds together), the double pullout sofa, then a drop down from the ceiling near the balcony.  There are a limited number of them and I had read here that they won't let less than five book them and that is what our TA said as well.  We booked very early on so early many rooms left.  We have teen DS and 20 YO DD so them sleeping in the sofa bed (including seeing the size of it in person) wasn't going to work.

Interesting enough we booked a RS and Deluxe for our trip in June, also very early, and our party of 2 got a room for 5 so who knows.  I have read of one family of 4 recently like our scenario who got one for four.

The beds pushed together on Divinia had a ridge and not that comfy but on Seaside, at least for us, it was pretty comfy and really didn't notice it.

Yes, we had our daughters in the pull-out sofa, which wasn't terrible. I do think if we had the drop own bed, one of them would use it, though. We also found the main bed very comfortable.

I called MSC specifically for this. This is the answer I got:

~Sofa Bed - fold down sofa sleeps 1, so the room would hold up to 3.

~Double Sofa Bed - pull out sofa sleeps 2, so the room would hold up to 4, with 2 people sharing the sofa bed.

~3rd Bed is a Bunk Bed - no idea on this one, but the agent's guess was that the couch does not convert and the bunk bed folds out of the wall. However, I have read that there are no ceiling/wall bunk beds with MSC as well, so no idea really. Room sleeps up to 3.

~3rd and 4th beds are bunks - the sofa converts into a bunk bed set up (both twin size), so the room sleeps 4. This is the ONLY configuration a party of 4 can book to have separate beds for the kids. Unless parents wanted to sleep on the sofa bed and then you could request the main beds to be separated for 2 twins for the kids. However, there are very few rooms with this configuration.

~The last configuration for YC is a double sofa bed, one bunk, and then the regular beds. You can only book this with a party of 5, even with a medical form. I have heard of some people booking a phantom infant and paying just the "infant's" taxes and fees to get a party of 5 in order to book this type of room.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I just booked that last option as a family of 4. (double sofa + bunk)  My sailing is filling up though so I'm wondering if they have released those rooms to everyone as they reach capacity.   

With that said and hypothetically speaking:  if there were only one suite left and it was the 5 person configuration, it would be a little silly to insist a party of 5 book it.  I think they're just trying to prevent smaller parties using those rooms for no reason.

46 minutes ago, peachycruise said:

I called MSC specifically for this. This is the answer I got:

~Sofa Bed - fold down sofa sleeps 1, so the room would hold up to 3.

~Double Sofa Bed - pull out sofa sleeps 2, so the room would hold up to 4, with 2 people sharing the sofa bed.

~3rd Bed is a Bunk Bed - no idea on this one, but the agent's guess was that the couch does not convert and the bunk bed folds out of the wall. However, I have read that there are no ceiling/wall bunk beds with MSC as well, so no idea really. Room sleeps up to 3.

~3rd and 4th beds are bunks - the sofa converts into a bunk bed set up (both twin size), so the room sleeps 4. This is the ONLY configuration a party of 4 can book to have separate beds for the kids. Unless parents wanted to sleep on the sofa bed and then you could request the main beds to be separated for 2 twins for the kids. However, there are very few rooms with this configuration.

~The last configuration for YC is a double sofa bed, one bunk, and then the regular beds. You can only book this with a party of 5, even with a medical form. I have heard of some people booking a phantom infant and paying just the "infant's" taxes and fees to get a party of 5 in order to book this type of room.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

This was some awesome information. Thanks so much!

On 4/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, dexddd said:

We found the pushed together beds on the Seaside very uncomfortable. No matter how much I tried in the middle of the night I would end up on the ridge, probably because the mattress had little support. It was the only thing we didn’t like in the YC room.