What Good are Suite Perks if you can't use them

Yehootu

We booked an Ocean Suite for our upcoming cruise. There was no dining selections available. My TA emailed me with" Congratulations you have 8;15 dining". I had her call Carnival and to  have us put in Anytime dining. The response was too bad all other dining are full. What good are suite perks if you can't use them. Should I expect on board, Sorry all water has already been handed out, too many laundry bags out today. I'm confused.

• Haha 1

That is the difference between priority and guaranteed dining room times.  Platinum and suite guests have priority but if the list has already been filled, you may be out of luck.  I have not gotten my "priority" time a couple of times due to late booking or a last minute dining change.  I guess we will all have to wait to get Diamond to get our guarantee.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cccer said:

That is the difference between priority and guaranteed dining room times.  Platinum and suite guests have priority but if the list has already been filled, you may be out of luck.  I have not gotten my "priority" time a couple of times due to late booking or a last minute dining change.  I guess we will all have to wait to get Diamond to get our guarantee.

Sorry, you are incorrect.  Diamond and Suite guests have guaranteed, not just priority.  The OP is correct to expect their Suite perk of guaranteed dining time.

From Carnival's website, FTTF FAQ:

Dining Reservations
Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.
Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.
Edited by ShakyBeef
repeat word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

We booked an Ocean Suite for our upcoming cruise. There was no dining selections available. My TA emailed me with" Congratulations you have 8;15 dining". I had her call Carnival and to  have us put in Anytime dining. The response was too bad all other dining are full. What good are suite perks if you can't use them. Should I expect on board, Sorry all water has already been handed out, too many laundry bags out today. I'm confused.

If I were in your situation, I would not let this go.  You are entitled to that Suite perk.  It is in writing on Carnival's site.  If your TA won't fight for your right in this case, I would fire her and get someone who will.

Edited by ShakyBeef
him
  • Like 1

Is there a difference between a deluxe suite and a regular suite? Did you request a specific dining preference at time of booking? Possiby you waited until everything else was filled to state your preference? If I were Carnival, I think what I would do in this circumstance, is take a cue from airlines. Offer OBC to someone to switch with you. If Carnival would offer me $150 onboard credit to switch to anytime dining, I would take it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Is there a difference between a deluxe suite and a regular suite? Did you request a specific dining preference at time of booking? Possiby you waited until everything else was filled to state your preference? If I were Carnival, I think what I would do in this circumstance, is take a cue from airlines. Offer OBC to someone to switch with you. If Carnival would offer me $150 onboard credit to switch to anytime dining, I would take it.

That has never been clearly defined.  But if there actually is a differentiation, an Ocean Suite is most definitely a "deluxe suite accommodation ".  As is a Vista Suite, a Grand Suite, Owner's Suite, etc.  The only "Suite" that I am aware of which might not be a "deluxe suite accommodation" is the Junior Suite.  But I don't know about that one. 

The OP is most definitely in a "deluxe suite accommodation" with their OS.  And they are entitled to that perk, no matter when they booked.  If it is a published perk (which it is), it needs to be honoured, even if it means bumping someone else.  What you suggest with offering the PAX being bumped OBC would be a nice way to go about it.  But no matter how it is done, the OP should get their guaranteed dining time.

• Like 3

We always vacilate between early dining and anytime dining.Our next cruise we have early dining scheduled, but if we were offerred OBC to change I would have no complaints at all. I am sure there are many others, who when they choose their dining preference, were offered some onboard credit to switch, would do it in a heartbeat. I agree that since the OP has guaranteed dining options that he should get them. Carnival still should offer a little something to keep from offending those who are bumped. 

This really shouldn't this big of a discussion.  There are a certain number of seats in each seating time that are held back to be used when clearing waitlists (this is why you often hear someone say that they couldn't get a dining assignment at all, but was only waitlisted).  If OP is to call and get put on the waitlist for the dining time that they prefer, they will be cleared off that waitlist first, as they are guaranteed their dining time preference.  There will not be any "bumping" going on except in extreme circumstances.

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

If I were in your situation, I would not let this go.  You are entitled to that Suite perk.  It is in writing on Carnival's site.  If your TA won't fight for your right in this case, I would fire her and get someone who will.

Excellent advice, as always. Hail to The Beef!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I agree, fire the TA, get another one if you need a TA for some reason. 

I called Carnival after my TA did and was told the same thing. There is NO waitlist for anytime dining and I'll have to see the Matre'D once onboard. I made my booking 2 weeks ago, so about 6 weeks till sail date.

2 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I called Carnival after my TA did and was told the same thing. There is NO waitlist for anytime dining and I'll have to see the Matre'D once onboard. I made my booking 2 weeks ago, so about 6 weeks till sail date.

They have probably already cleared the waitlists, since you are so close to sailing.  Just stop and see the Maitre d' once you board and you will get what you want.  If necessary (although I don't think it will be) be forceful, but polite, with them.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

They have probably already cleared the waitlists, since you are so close to sailing.  Just stop and see the Maitre d' once you board and you will get what you want.  If necessary (although I don't think it will be) be forceful, but polite, with them.

At this point, Yehootu, ^ this ^  is probably what I would do as well - wait to fight your own fight once onboard (but fight politely, of course, as Schoifmom suggests).  If you are not accommodated by the Maitre d', you should get some kind of compensation such as OBC to make up for Carnival not keeping up their end of the deal on this.  A guarantee is a guarantee.  I would not back down until satisfied.  Good luck and have a great cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:
Sorry, you are incorrect.  Diamond and Suite guests have guaranteed, not just priority.  The OP is correct to expect their Suite perk of guaranteed dining time.

From Carnival's website, FTTF FAQ:

Dining Reservations
Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.
Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

Do you think they should bump someone who had already been given a time?

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do you think they should bump someone who had already been given a time?

Yes, if need be.  If that is done, I would hope Carnival would apologize to the bumped party and give them some compensation for the blunder of not reserving enough tables for those that were guaranteed to have their choice.  The compensation could be OBC, a free Steakhouse dinner, etc. 

Hopefully no one should need to be bumped.  Maybe another table could be squeezed in to the OP's desired Seating (ATD, in this case), or maybe there really are still a few unassigned tables in each Seating for just such a situation.  Regardless, a guarantee is a guarantee, so Diamond and Suite guests should not be told that they can not get their dining choice under any circumstances.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, if need be.  If that is done, I would hope Carnival would apologize to the bumped party and give them some compensation for the blunder of not reserving enough tables for those that were guaranteed to have their choice.  The compensation could be OBC, a free Steakhouse dinner, etc. 

Hopefully no one should need to be bumped.  Maybe another table could be squeezed in to the OP's desired Seating (ATD, in this case), or maybe there really are still a few unassigned tables in each Seating for just such a situation.  Regardless, a guarantee is a guarantee, so Diamond and Suite guests should not be told that they can not get their dining choice under any circumstances.

I agree it should not have to be a problem for a single booking, groups not so much. That said, I have never heard of anyone being bumped from a committed dining time at all.  I understand the wording, and we book early so have never had a problem getting what we wanted, but that said, I would never want to bump someone that had been committed a time solely based on status either room or cruise.   

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree it should not have to be a problem for a single booking, groups not so much. That said, I have never heard of anyone being bumped from a committed dining time at all.  I understand the wording, and we book early so have never had a problem getting what we wanted, but that said, I would never want to bump someone that had been committed a time solely based on status either room or cruise.   

I've never heard of it either.  And I also would not want to bump someone.  It is not the other PAX fault that this SNAFU occurred, but Carnival's.  And I would hate to be the reason that someone else's cruise experience is dampened.  But when I book a Suite and am guaranteed my choice in writing, I expect to be given my choice.  Period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I've never heard of it either.  And I also would not want to bump someone.  It is not the other PAX fault that this SNAFU occurred, but Carnival's.  And I would hate to be the reason that someone else's cruise experience is dampened.  But when I book a Suite and am guaranteed my choice in writing, I expect to be given my choice.  Period.

was the use of three periods in a row used to show finality?😉

34 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

In this instance this is not a matter of guest " status " through VIFP, it is a guaranteed perk that comes with the Ocean Suite. Big difference and it wouldn't matter if they had a blue card. 

True but could be, which is why I included itinerary my hypothetical example.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

True but could be, which is why I included itinerary my hypothetical example.

What?  Where did you include itinerary?  And what does an any itinerary have to do with this discussion?  Jimbo, you feeling alright?

• Haha 1

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

What?  Where did you include itinerary?  And what does an any itinerary have to do with this discussion?  Jimbo, you feeling alright?

lol it has been a long day and this laptop decides on its own sometimes....what I meant to say was "which is why I included it in my hypothetical example "