If I'm wild about Oceania will I feel the same about Regent

Petoonya

Looking at a Tahiti sailing on Navigator. Have done the last several cruises on Oceania and always pleased with them. But curiosity and pricing has drawn me to Regent. Just a few questions.

The gym- what's it like? We're work out people. Just got off the Wind Spirit and their gyms are minuscule. Love the space and equipment on the R Oceania ships. Anyone able to compare to Navigator?

Dining- for those of you who've sailed both lines can you tell me how the dining experience compares. Again we've always been thrilled with Oceania.

O is also "country club casual" which we are comfy with- how does that compare to Regent?

And lastly this is Tahiti and we're intense snorkelers, infact our last four cruises have been Tahiti. We always do independent tours and it's a rarity that they are disappointing. How many people can I expect on a Regent snorkeling tour in Tahiti? Are you generally pleased with tour quality?

My wonderful TA has not sailed with Regent before but said her long time TA mom LOVES Regent. Feel we're missing out on something special. Our pocketbook always dictates our cruising choices and it seems like Regent is also the better choice there with excursions and beverages included. Hope I'm not being too much of a pesty bother. Thanks.

We're big fans of Regent, as you will see from my signature below.  I have only one experience on Oceania, and almost bailed from the cruise after a couple of days.  I'm not saying you're wrong for being "pleased" with Oceania, but, as they say, different strokes for different folks.  I"ll elaborate if you wish.

Meanwhile, I'll agree with you that when you calculate the "all in" price Regent is really not that much more expensive than Oceania, sometimes not at all.

Also meanwhile, and despite this being a Regent board, for me the Paul Gauguin is the best way to visit French Polynesia.  This ship used to be a Regent (formerly Radisson) ship but is now independent.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Have done the last several cruises on Oceania and always pleased with them. 

The gym- what's it like? ...Love the space and equipment on the R Oceania ships. 

Dining... Again we've always been thrilled with Oceania.

O is also "country club casual" which we are comfy with- 

And lastly this is Tahiti and we're intense snorkelers...We always do independent tours and it's a rarity that they are disappointing.

My wonderful TA has not sailed with Regent before but said her long time TA mom LOVES Regent. Feel we're missing out on something special. Our pocketbook always dictates our cruising choices and it seems like Regent is also the better choice there with excursions and beverages included. 

In just what we have excerpted (above) from your post, it is pretty clear you are enjoying Oceania.  You are not your TA's mom.  Don't mess with success.  Stick with O. 

We have sailed Oceania twice (Riviera) and Regent thirty three times but would not say that because you love Oceania that you will feel the same about Regent.

To be honest, Navigator is our least favorite ship (but is the favorite of many Regent cruisers). The one thing that I can say that is very positive about Navigator is that the suites are a great size (and not the tiny bathrooms that the Oceania older ships have).  However, the aft vibration on Navigator can be so bothersome to some people that we recommend not booking an aft suite (anything further aft than the laundry room).  

Food is subjective.  We personally like the speciality restaurants on Oceania (especially Jacques which we feel is the best French food at sea) but cannot tolerate the Terrace Cafe.  It looks great but the quality is simply not there.  We also do not care for the MDR on Oceania.  There are still Oceania passengers that prefer Oceania food to Regent.

The fact that Regent is all-inclusive, you find a much more social group of passengers in the lounges than on the Oceania which has far fewer passengers in the lounges except during "Happy Hour" when the drinks are weaker than normal (and they are weak to begin with) and the areas are mobbed.  This isn't to say that people on Regent want strong drinks or that they drink too much.  We simply ask for the cocktails to be made the way we like them and the bartenders are happy to comply.

I like the vibe on Regent much more than on Oceania.  OTOH, my DH loves the Vista suites on the Riviera and I must admit that at the Vista and Owners suites are even better than the equivalent on Regent (the equivalent would be Grand and Master suites)

Speaking of Tahiti - IMO, the only cruise ship to sail on in that part of the world is the Paul Gauguin (formerly managed by Regent). For Tahiti, it is the best as it was built to sail the waters of Tahiti and can get into places that neither Regent or Oceania can get near.

So, if we were going to return to Tahiti, it would be on the PG - not on Oceania or Regent!

First, agree with David and Travelcat about Tahiti--PG is the way to go there.

Now to Regent vs Oceania.   We have over 200 nights on Regent, about 25 on Oceania.  We love Regent.  We sail Oceania when with friends or family who want to cruise on that line.  It is not our first choice, mainly because we dislike having to show a card to get a drink, having to pay extra to use the washing machine, and hate the buffet restaurant on Oceania where it is like pulling teeth to get a salad with more than a couple of leaves of lettuce.  We like the food on Regent better in general, though we have had some great meals on Oceania.  With Oceania, we always go for a higher level suite to get the space we are used to on Regent.  So we end up paying same or more.  That said, we have another Oceania cruise booked for 2020.

I loved Oceania, I've cruised 9 times on "O".  Regents 3 times and booked this April and 3 more booked cruises in 2020 & 2021.

Oceania is good, but I don't think you can compare them to Regent-two different ways of cruising.  To be honest I don't think I'll be cruising Oceania again.  It's just two different ways of cruising, and it's not because alcohol is included on Regent because we don't drink.

I'm afraid I can't help with comparison questions, as I've not sailed on Oceania or the Wind Spirit, but with nearly 200 nights on the Navigator, I can answer some of the non-comparison questions. 

The gym is adequate, but not huge. Since it is the smallest of Regent's ships, it not surprisingly has the smallest gym.  It has 2 areas: one for classes like spin or yoga or for your own open-ended workout, and one with equipment. It has a few treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes, as well as a universal-type strength station and free weights. The photos here will give you a pretty good idea of the facility:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seven-seas-navigator-131/fitness-center-398105/

It's been many years since I've been on an excursion on Navigator that had snorkeling, and not since they started including excursions (I've been doing cooler climate cruises more recently), so I'm not sure what the numbers are for those excursions. For bus-based excursions, they seem to try to keep the numbers under 35 for included excursions, and fewer for "Regent choice" (the ones you pay extra for). They've recently added "small group" excursions where you pay a little extra to get a smaller group of around 15. Again, I'm not sure if these numbers apply to snorkeling. I'll be finding out next year, though (more about that below). The tour quality is generally good to excellent, but as with anything else, there's going to be the occasional dog.

I love the main dining rooms on Regent ships, Navigator included, because of their new menu concept. The left side is the "All Time Favorites" that are available every night. I was on Navigator for three months last summer, and never tired of the selections there. On the right are the Daily Specials, which change every day. A sample menu is here: https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

There is not much by way of specialty restaurants on Navigator, again because of its small size. There's Prime 7, the steak house, Sette Mari, the Italian restaurant, and the pool grill. The latter will be nice in a setting like French Polynesia. I'm not a fan of Sette Mari, but some people love it. I like Prime 7 well enough, but it's, well, a steak house. But Compass Rose, the main dining room, is really the star here.

Are you by any chance looking at the April 7, 2020 Papeete to Lima sailing? My friend and I are on that one, so that's where I'll be finding out how the snorkel excursions are these days.

Done Tahiti WS twice and one PG. But I've also done two Papeete to LA cruises on O. We are Tahiti junkies. It's still hands down WS Tahiti for me.

David enjoyed your post. It is interesting that one man's heaven is another man's hell! As far as pricing though, the almost identical cruise on O is being offered on Regent in 2021. Prices have gone up enough on O that both cruise lines are the same price with just 2 months difference in sailing dates- and my TA having a group on Regent for that date had to have helped a lot. Since Regent includes both excursions and alcoholic beverages, even the fact that we drink little makes it attractive. We watch our savingsand cruise expenditures  judiciously and Regent scores points.

Silver Sweethearts. You may have something there. I might stick with what works!

Travelcat thank you too for your post. I guess our tastes really differ as we like O's MDR and the Terrace! Appreciate your help on the vibrating Navigator. The R ships on O have same problem aft, but we rather like it. Would probably like Navigator for that same reason.

Rachel- thanks to you too. Your sentiments really make me want to try Regent.

Ronrick- you said that it's two different ways of cruising. Can you put into words what makes them so different that you're sticking with Regent now?

Wish I Were Traveling- you really cut to the meat of things and what I need to know. The gym is tantamount to my husband and comparing apples to apples, the gyms in O's R ships are huge compared to Navigator. That might be two strikes right there. But the suites on Navigator are humongous that would help even up the score. But then.... included excursions of 35 people sinks things one more time- we feel crowded with 8 people. We are snorkelers/swimmers and that's all we do in Tahiti. If we take this cruise we'd have to do excursions independently.

I thank each of you greatly. Gives us a lot to think about. Leaning toward that "other line" I guess. Or maybe skip a year so I can afford another 17 days on WS. Thanks once again and happy cruising.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

With the positive comments on this thread regarding Windstar, I had to check it out.  It is a small yacht with tiny (teeny tiny) "staterooms".   The "Owners Suite" is 220 square feet and they do not even lit the size of a stateroom (looks like maybe 165 square feet).   

It is not all-inclusive (alcohol not included, air not included, excursions not included) so I don't think it would be for us.  We've been to Tahiti around 5 times (only one cruise) and find that visiting there on our own works better for us than on a cruise ship (especially if you have to do your own excursions).

Thanks Tripperva! You and others have given me a perfect reason to cruise Regent!

Travelcat, certainly Windstar is not for everyone. My guess is a lot of people who love Regent like you, would not appreciate Windstar.

But in FP, when those sails unfurl, even though the ship is not powered by them, it is truly breathtaking. Like being one with the sea and I don't mean that poetically. Aside from the tight cabins there are no elevators so you have to be able to navigate pretty well. In FP Windstar draws many people who are athletically inclined as the ship empties in port and about 9/10 are in the water doing something or other. And after a day snorkeling there is the sports platform where you can swim, canoe, waterski, tube, sail, and paddle board. Dining is personal but I feel that it is exceptional. With only 148 passengers the experience is very intimate. It either sucks you in or it doesn't but sailing over any ocean or an FP lagoon is perfection to me.

But this is the Regent board and I'm learning a lot here about Regent and not to extol WS or to listen to negatives about other cruise lines. I asked for it about WS and claiming it tops PG and apologize for responding.  I'm very grateful to those who have offered positive comments about Regent. I've learned a lot here and in perusing the board. Thank you one and all. Very grateful.

Edited by Petoonya

We switched from Regent (where we are Gold) to Oceania about 5 years ago.  What we love about Oceania is that excursions are not included (we can do them a lot cheaper on our own and not with a bus load of people) and that we can add the full drinks package so that on board everything we want is included.  We were blown away by the food on Oceania - Jacques, Red Ginger etc.   So great and because we take a "high end" suite - we could eat in any of the restaurants any time we liked.  Personally I love the way the Terrace restaurant works - you do not serve yourself.  It is very hygienic.

So - we will be back on Regent in March 20.  On Splendour.  In a Grand Suite.   And will be VERY interested to compare the food etc with Oceania.  We aren't going to do a lot of cruises in the future because we are getting too old for the long flights.  Perhaps a Mediterranean cruise which is easier for us.  But what we want is: -

1.  A comfortable large suite with 2 bathrooms

2.  A Butler

3.  An Itinerary we like and which either takes us to places we have been before and liked OR to new places we want to see (which are rare...)

4.  Price is not so much an issue though we do not like paying for things we do not use...

Once our Splendour cruise is over I will post a comparison...till then I am eagerly looking forward to the March 14 Spendour cruise.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, ronrick1943 said:

I loved Oceania, I've cruised 9 times on "O".  Regents 3 times and booked this April and 3 more booked cruises in 2020 & 2021.

Oceania is good, but I don't think you can compare them to Regent-two different ways of cruising.  To be honest I don't think I'll be cruising Oceania again.  It's just two different ways of cruising, and it's not because alcohol is included on Regent because we don't drink.

We are looking at similar itineraries on Regent and on Oceania Riviera, trying to decide so if you would give more info, I would appreciate it. For example, why wouldn’t you sail Oceania again if you loved it? Thank you!

14 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We switched from Regent (where we are Gold) to Oceania about 5 years ago.  What we love about Oceania is that excursions are not included (we can do them a lot cheaper on our own and not with a bus load of people) and that we can add the full drinks package so that on board everything we want is included.  We were blown away by the food on Oceania - Jacques, Red Ginger etc.   So great and because we take a "high end" suite - we could eat in any of the restaurants any time we liked.  Personally I love the way the Terrace restaurant works - you do not serve yourself.  It is very hygienic.

So - we will be back on Regent in March 20.  On Splendour.  In a Grand Suite.   And will be VERY interested to compare the food etc with Oceania.  We aren't going to do a lot of cruises in the future because we are getting too old for the long flights.  Perhaps a Mediterranean cruise which is easier for us.  But what we want is: -

1.  A comfortable large suite with 2 bathrooms

2.  A Butler

3.  An Itinerary we like and which either takes us to places we have been before and liked OR to new places we want to see (which are rare...)

4.  Price is not so much an issue though we do not like paying for things we do not use...

Once our Splendour cruise is over I will post a comparison...till then I am eagerly looking forward to the March 14 Spendour cruise.

I’ve read many different reviews on the food on Oceania. You sound like a seasoned cruiser so if could you elaborate, that would be great. Do you prefer Red Ginger to Pacific Rim? How do you like the main dining room and the buffet on Oceania? Thanks so much.

Can't say right now because our Regent cruise is March 2020!!  But from reading the menu I think that Pacific Rim was modeled on Red Ginger and I expect to enjoy it a lot!     Yes - I like the MDR on Oceania but aside from breakfast and that wonder "Around the world" lunch menu we tend not to eat there much.  We did have the very best châteaubriand with béarnaise that we have ever had in our lives there though!   And I love the Terrace buffet especially because you are served.  No one's fingers touch the serving forks and spoons except the server's.  It is very hygienic and I like that.  Also - I do not like to have a plate heaped with food.  All I have to do there is to say to the server - a small amount please.  Et voilà!  I get it.  (On regent of course I serve myself and then put little on my plate...)

I will be "blogging" from the Splendour next March.  Until then I am just "dreaming" ...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Can't say right now because our Regent cruise is March 2020!!  But from reading the menu I think that Pacific Rim was modeled on Red Ginger and I expect to enjoy it a lot!     Yes - I like the MDR on Oceania but aside from breakfast and that wonder "Around the world" lunch menu we tend not to eat there much.  We did have the very best châteaubriand with béarnaise that we have ever had in our lives there though!   And I love the Terrace buffet especially because you are served.  No one's fingers touch the serving forks and spoons except the server's.  It is very hygienic and I like that.  Also - I do not like to have a plate heaped with food.  All I have to do there is to say to the server - a small amount please.  Et voilà!  I get it.  (On regent of course I serve myself and then put little on my plate...)

I will be "blogging" from the Splendour next March.  Until then I am just "dreaming" ...

I’m with you in that I prefer that more sanitary approach in the buffet. I will look forward to your blog!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

I’m with you in that I prefer that more sanitary approach in the buffet. I will look forward to your blog!

Are you on the San Diego to Miami cruise on Splendor next March?  Just curious.

In terms of the "sanitary approach in the buffet" on Oceania, I find it interesting that Oceania has had more cases of norovirus and gastrointestinal illnesses than Regent.  We prefer serving ourselves and sanitizing our hands after using the serving utensils.  On Explorer there are four sanitizing stations plus the sinks in La Veranda.  Two of the stations are in the buffet area so there is really no excuse to not clean your hands.

• Like 1

Problem is Jackie that while you and Dennis clean/sanitize your hands others do not.  And lord knows where those hands have been...  If you couldn't be served with a plate of food until you had been seen to sanitize your hands by a crew member (much like when you board the vessel in the first place or in ports) then it wouldn't bother me so much.  To tell the truth it never bothered me until I sailed on Oceania for the first time when I suddenly realised how great it is to have the server behind the display serving the food...  Now whenever I go to a buffet (which is mostly at our Golf Club because here there are not too many buffets...) I worry about who held the spoon before me!

I don't think kjbacon is on our March 2020 cruise though...

Edited by Hambagahle

34 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Problem is Jackie that while you and Dennis clean/sanitize your hands others do not. 

I don't like the idea either. I see too many people sneeze and cough into heir hand and then touch utensils, doors and playing cards.

Yesterday we watched one of Morr's cruise ship videos. While he was filming the buffet on Mein Schiff, the camera happened to catch a gentleman grab a pancake with his hand without the utensil which was lying right there. This man will now forever be on YouTube. 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Are you on the San Diego to Miami cruise on Splendor next March?  Just curious.

In terms of the "sanitary approach in the buffet" on Oceania, I find it interesting that Oceania has had more cases of norovirus and gastrointestinal illnesses than Regent.  We prefer serving ourselves and sanitizing our hands after using the serving utensils.  On Explorer there are four sanitizing stations plus the sinks in La Veranda.  Two of the stations are in the buffet area so there is really no excuse to not clean your hands.

No, not on that upcoming Splendor cruise. Sanitizing stations work only as well as those that use them and like Hambagahle, have seen lots of less than perfect practices. There is a nasty cold working it’s way around this cruise and i think your recent cruise had a bad cough going around. What do you attribute the more likely chances of a GI problem on Oceania than Regent?