Caribbean Princess dry dock

xyankee

Anyone worried about the Caribbean Princess going into dry dock as scheduled after the accident at the docks. We docked at Ft. Lauderdale on schedule this morning and on the dock are 2 large cranes and hundreds of skids of materials to go on the ship for the work to be preformed. The ship will leave this afternoon as originally scheduled.

73A0BCD2-0AB7-4AD5-8152-FE973F41ABDC.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronulbrich said:

what date is the first after dry dock? We are on Her 5-18-19

5/14 - little 4 day cruise FTL - at sea - Cozumel (8a - 9p) - at sea - FTL

we're on it ... and also concerned , but not under our control ...

I'm not worried about the CB drydock because (1) if the Freeport facility wants to keep its future bookings they will figure out how not to make the same mistake twice; and (2) the main project for CB is to cut a hole in the hull large enough to repair the propulsion issues so an incident with a crane looming over the top of the ship is a whole other animal.

"Rule #23" aside I am seriously considering a last minute booking for the May 14 four night getaway if only to determine whether I could stand a much longer amount of time on CB as she has a few unique itineraries the next couple summers. I sailed CB when brand new, before even the first of the will-now-be-three major refits, and like many found her the least appealing ship in the Princess fleet--a feeling which has not changed even after being on the butchered Island Princess last summer. So lets just see...

Edited by fishywood

9 hours ago, flgojo said:

Yes because I am booked on the first cruise out of dry dock.  :classic_dry:

We are also booked on the 05/14/19 date 1st date out of dry dock and are not worried just tired and need a vacation.

I think it will be nice since rooms should be ready right when we get on the ship and time to hit the pool and bars LOL i need a good drink as i have not had a vacation in 2 and a half years was my last cruise.see you all there 🚢

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, fishywood said:

I'm not worried about the CB drydock because (1) if the Freeport facility wants to keep its future bookings they will figure out how not to make the same mistake twice; and (2) the main project for CB is to cut a hole in the hull large enough to repair the propulsion issues so an incident with a crane looming over the top of the ship is a whole other animal.

"Rule #23" aside I am seriously considering a last minute booking for the May 14 four night getaway if only to determine whether I could stand a much longer amount of time on CB as she has a few unique itineraries the next couple summers. I sailed CB when brand new, before even the first of the will-now-be-three major refits, and like many found her the least appealing ship in the Princess fleet--a feeling which has not changed even after being on the butchered Island Princess last summer. So lets just see...

Fishywood,

From my view, the last refit improved the ship. We sailed her before and after the refit and found that the changes were very beneficial. The propulsion issue was no issue at all for last January's circle Caribbean.  Enjoy the May cruise if you decide to go.

7 hours ago, flgojo said:

Got a terrific deal and we like 4 or 5 days and they are slim pickings out of Fort Lauderdale.  Will live with the slight chance there will be an issue.  :classic_biggrin:

I have to admit, some of the rates are pretty tempting. Now all I have to do is, make up my mind to see if I really want to go. 🤔

Interesting info! I basically watcher her arrive in freeport late saturday night between cruisemapper and the bridge cam. I wasn't surprised on day 1 that she was wet docked but up until now have been expecting her to move onto a dry dock at some point but I guess not.

I'll be on the May 18 sailing.  I'm not worried considering the issues being addressed are propulsion and the new family splash zone area, whatever they're calling it.  As a couple with no kids we'll be at the traditional pools with beverages in hand and not too concerned one way or the other about the splash zone.  The only way either of the improvements would affect us would be if the propulsion system ceases to work, obviously, or if the splash zone doesn't work then I imagine it might make the traditional pools that I intend to use slightly more crowded if people can't go to the splash zone.  Not losing a lot of sleep over the sailing after dry dock element.

Not questioning the above scuttlebutt but I would be surprised if CB goes the entire time out of service not raised out of the water at all. Would be a pretty slapdash repaint job of the affected area of the hull that would have a too-obvious border above the waterline.

18 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Not questioning the above scuttlebutt but I would be surprised if CB goes the entire time out of service not raised out of the water at all. Would be a pretty slapdash repaint job of the affected area of the hull that would have a too-obvious border above the waterline.

exactly - wondering how much of this 'wetdock' is directly related to the crane that fell ...