Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
xyankee

Caribbean Princess dry dock

Recommended Posts

Anyone worried about the Caribbean Princess going into dry dock as scheduled after the accident at the docks. We docked at Ft. Lauderdale on schedule this morning and on the dock are 2 large cranes and hundreds of skids of materials to go on the ship for the work to be preformed. The ship will leave this afternoon as originally scheduled.

73A0BCD2-0AB7-4AD5-8152-FE973F41ABDC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes because I am booked on the first cruise out of dry dock.  :classic_dry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no.... rule #23 of cruising is: Never book within 30 days plus or minus of any drydock or inaugural cruise unless disappointment excites you. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ronulbrich said:

what date is the first after dry dock? We are on Her 5-18-19

5/14 - little 4 day cruise FTL - at sea - Cozumel (8a - 9p) - at sea - FTL

 

we're on it ... and also concerned , but not under our control ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not worried about the CB drydock because (1) if the Freeport facility wants to keep its future bookings they will figure out how not to make the same mistake twice; and (2) the main project for CB is to cut a hole in the hull large enough to repair the propulsion issues so an incident with a crane looming over the top of the ship is a whole other animal.

 

"Rule #23" aside I am seriously considering a last minute booking for the May 14 four night getaway if only to determine whether I could stand a much longer amount of time on CB as she has a few unique itineraries the next couple summers. I sailed CB when brand new, before even the first of the will-now-be-three major refits, and like many found her the least appealing ship in the Princess fleet--a feeling which has not changed even after being on the butchered Island Princess last summer. So lets just see...

Edited by fishywood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flgojo said:

Yes because I am booked on the first cruise out of dry dock.  :classic_dry:

We are also booked on the 05/14/19 date 1st date out of dry dock and are not worried just tired and need a vacation.

I think it will be nice since rooms should be ready right when we get on the ship and time to hit the pool and bars LOL i need a good drink as i have not had a vacation in 2 and a half years was my last cruise.see you all there 🚢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a terrific deal and we like 4 or 5 days and they are slim pickings out of Fort Lauderdale.  Will live with the slight chance there will be an issue.  :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'wet dock'? - just looked at the CB bridge cam .. maybe because just got there overnight?

 

 

cb414.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am guessing that to cut the hole in the side of the ship to get access to the propulsion units, the ship will definitely have to be lifted out of the water (aka dry dock).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fishywood said:

I'm not worried about the CB drydock because (1) if the Freeport facility wants to keep its future bookings they will figure out how not to make the same mistake twice; and (2) the main project for CB is to cut a hole in the hull large enough to repair the propulsion issues so an incident with a crane looming over the top of the ship is a whole other animal.

 

"Rule #23" aside I am seriously considering a last minute booking for the May 14 four night getaway if only to determine whether I could stand a much longer amount of time on CB as she has a few unique itineraries the next couple summers. I sailed CB when brand new, before even the first of the will-now-be-three major refits, and like many found her the least appealing ship in the Princess fleet--a feeling which has not changed even after being on the butchered Island Princess last summer. So lets just see...

Fishywood,

From my view, the last refit improved the ship. We sailed her before and after the refit and found that the changes were very beneficial. The propulsion issue was no issue at all for last January's circle Caribbean.  Enjoy the May cruise if you decide to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flgojo said:

Got a terrific deal and we like 4 or 5 days and they are slim pickings out of Fort Lauderdale.  Will live with the slight chance there will be an issue.  :classic_biggrin:

I have to admit, some of the rates are pretty tempting. Now all I have to do is, make up my mind to see if I really want to go. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that there will be some wet dock and some dry dock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CB is staying on wet dock for the whole month. They found a way to work on the propulsion issue even when on wet dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kate P.C said:

The CB is staying on wet dock for the whole month. They found a way to work on the propulsion issue even when on wet dock.

link ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None so far that I could find, but I got the info from someone who is there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting info! I basically watcher her arrive in freeport late saturday night between cruisemapper and the bridge cam. I wasn't surprised on day 1 that she was wet docked but up until now have been expecting her to move onto a dry dock at some point but I guess not.

 

I'll be on the May 18 sailing.  I'm not worried considering the issues being addressed are propulsion and the new family splash zone area, whatever they're calling it.  As a couple with no kids we'll be at the traditional pools with beverages in hand and not too concerned one way or the other about the splash zone.  The only way either of the improvements would affect us would be if the propulsion system ceases to work, obviously, or if the splash zone doesn't work then I imagine it might make the traditional pools that I intend to use slightly more crowded if people can't go to the splash zone.  Not losing a lot of sleep over the sailing after dry dock element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not questioning the above scuttlebutt but I would be surprised if CB goes the entire time out of service not raised out of the water at all. Would be a pretty slapdash repaint job of the affected area of the hull that would have a too-obvious border above the waterline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Not questioning the above scuttlebutt but I would be surprised if CB goes the entire time out of service not raised out of the water at all. Would be a pretty slapdash repaint job of the affected area of the hull that would have a too-obvious border above the waterline.

exactly - wondering how much of this 'wetdock' is directly related to the crane that fell ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it's reasonable to assume they could cut a hole above the water line and get inside to fix an issue, but that might depend on the location of the issue itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...