Pizza on Equinox?

teacher2cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, teacher2cruiser said:

Is there a pizza menu?  (First time with Celebrity)

If you like the taste of frozen pizza or if you are really hungry, you will like the pizza on board. The sauce is rather bland  and few spices are added.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

If you like the taste of frozen pizza or if you are really hungry, you will like the pizza on board. The sauce is rather bland  and few spices are added.

It is amazing that in Brooklyn or so many other cities or towns there are thousands of pizza places that can serve a simple pizza that makes all on board pizza taste like something ready for the compost heap.  

The ships produce so many excellent breads, rolls and other baked goods it is hard to believe why they can't do what is done all day long in pizza joints with flour, water, salt, and yeast.  Add to this a basic sauce, which is just a decent quality canned tomato product, a few simple spices, olive oil and mozzarella cheese. 

The only problem I see in having a ship that cost over a billion dollars and is equipped with more than enough of the needed kitchen appliances make excellent pizza is that the lines for pizza would be equal to those waiting to clear customs.

After 19 plus years on cruise ships and seeing so many more complex dishes prepared fresh and served at all the dining venues, I have yet to see anything that resembles in the slightest a good pizza???????

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 7:15 AM, boscobeans said:

It is amazing that in Brooklyn or so many other cities or towns there are thousands of pizza places that can serve a simple pizza that makes all on board pizza taste like something ready for the compost heap.  

The ships produce so many excellent breads, rolls and other baked goods it is hard to believe why they can't do what is done all day long in pizza joints with flour, water, salt, and yeast.  Add to this a basic sauce, which is just a decent quality canned tomato product, a few simple spices, olive oil and mozzarella cheese. 

The only problem I see in having a ship that cost over a billion dollars and is equipped with more than enough of the needed kitchen appliances make excellent pizza is that the lines for pizza would be equal to those waiting to clear customs.

After 19 plus years on cruise ships and seeing so many more complex dishes prepared fresh and served at all the dining venues, I have yet to see anything that resembles in the slightest a good pizza???????

I totally agree with you.  Very good breads are made daily but  the pizza?   The tomato sauce is really bland and that is one issue.  Need some added spices to the recipe.  Plus the pepperoni is also bland.  I guess they want to appeal to a wide audience....

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, teacher2cruiser said:

Is there a pizza menu?  (First time with Celebrity)

What ship are you talking about. the Equinox? It is still getting referbed. As I have stated. On the Reflection the sister ship. There were a few different pizzas all the time in the buffet. The pepperoni had zip to it and the sauce had great taste. Not bland tomato at all. You can order any pizza you may want or just if you want a fresh one. Never a problem. the were always ready to do whatever you want. Put anything on it yo may want. We like hand tossed vs thin crust. So we had them take the same amount of dough and make a smaller pizza with the topping we wanted. It was excellent. Took only 15 min. By the way. They had fresh made garlic knots. They were awesome. Now the pizza on the EDGE. Yup, just like a frozen pizza maybe not that good.

Edited by twodaywonder

On 4/25/2019 at 7:15 AM, boscobeans said:

I think it must be the water...like  Bagels !

• Haha 1

Been on so many different ships and so many different pizzas. By far the best was on the Royal Serenade of the Seas, use regular pizza ovens. Carnival below terrible. Doing there always super thin crust with the automatic belt drive pizza oven. Always burnt on every ship.  Sometimes not eatable at all. Black all over. There problem is wanting to make a lot of pizzas in a very short time. They speed up the conveyor and turn up the heat. There is no way they could do a hand tossed regular crust. I had them make me one with the same amount of dough but a much smaller pizza. Came out under cooked. Pepperoni and the cheese were fine. At least it was not burnt. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I think it must be the water...like  Bagels !

The bagels aren't great either. They're just something to hold your schmears.  Don't even get me started on the New York cheesecake that they serve in the MDR. It's good, sure, but it's not New York cheesecake.

Whenever I see anyone post the Celebrity pizza is great, I look at where they're from. We sailed on Princess, who claims to have 'the best pizza at sea.' I tried a slice and just didn't get it. 

On our first cruise, we had assigned dining. There was a lovely woman from Colorado seated at our table. She hadn't had lobster before and couldn't wait to try it. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the cruise ship lobster does not even come close to New England/Canadian lobster. 

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

The bagels aren't great either. They're just something to hold your schmears.  Don't even get me started on the New York cheesecake that they serve in the MDR. It's good, sure, but it's not New York cheesecake.

Whenever I see anyone post the Celebrity pizza is great, I look at where they're from. We sailed on Princess, who claims to have 'the best pizza at sea.' I tried a slice and just didn't get it. 

On our first cruise, we had assigned dining. There was a lovely woman from Colorado seated at our table. She hadn't had lobster before and couldn't wait to try it. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the cruise ship lobster does not even come close to New England/Canadian lobster. 

I see where you are from.  There is great pizza in CT.  The pizza on Celebrity is rather bland.  But I guess they have to appeal to the majority of cruisers.  The toppings are fresh but the sauce is bland and I cannot find the words to describe the dough.  

I can report that our cruise to Alaska  we had lobster from Maine.  I was surprised but could definitely tell the difference.  Then they wanted to put a cream sauce over it.  Just melted butter for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

Still better than Rocky Mountain lobster. 

I find Celebrity pizza's are poor across the board, as noted above they are very bland and lack any type of flavour. I have had pizza's from all over the world and these are on par with a frozen pizza in a UK supermarket if you think they have good pizza's you have never tasted a good one before, there's nothing subjective about it.

• Like 1