Straws on Carnival

jbyrd72

Posting a question for the DW... Does Carnival give you plastic or paper straws for the cocktail drinks?  Also we have the Cheers package and she wants to know what type of straws they use for the milkshakes?  Thanks for the info.   We are sailing in 16 days on the Sunrise!!!

20 minutes ago, jbyrd72 said:

Posting a question for the DW... Does Carnival give you plastic or paper straws for the cocktail drinks?  Also we have the Cheers package and she wants to know what type of straws they use for the milkshakes?  Thanks for the info.   We are sailing in 16 days on the Sunrise!!!

I had plastic straws on my last cruise in March on the Breeze. 

54 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I had plastic straws on my last cruise in March on the Breeze. 

I suspect... while stocks last

and then you'll start to see the bio-degradable alternatives come out.

Geez I hope this straw issue is not a deal-breaker for the OP

It sounds important enough.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I suspect... while stocks last

and then you'll start to see the bio-degradable alternatives come out.

Geez I hope this straw issue is not a deal-breaker for the OP

It sounds important enough.

Hard to drink frozen drinks without one

• Like 1

For the first time I had a paper straw on my most recent cruise. I didn't notice a difference until I put it in my mouth, (not a sentence you say/hear everyday. 😳 ) and the texture was different. I had a Miami Vice, and I was waiting for it to fall apart like everyone says, but it never happened. It was a little softer at the end when I was finished, but not bad at all. It also takes me a while to finish a drink, so it was probably in there 30-40 minutes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

For the first time I had a paper straw on my most recent cruise. I didn't notice a difference until I put it in my mouth, (not a sentence you say/hear everyday. 😳 ) and the texture was different. I had a Miami Vice, and I was waiting for it to fall apart like everyone says, but it never happened. It was a little softer at the end when I was finished, but not bad at all. It also takes me a while to finish a drink, so it was probably in there 30-40 minutes.

This is my concern—that the paper straws will just fall apart in a frozen drink. Most of my drinks on the cruise are either wine or a martini, but out around the pool in the hot sun, I like a frozen cocktail, and do not want a straw falling apart in my drink. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don't understand why they don't use reusable metal straws instead of paper ones. Still better for the environment but not terrible like paper

Really wonder how much cheaper paper is than plastic. Given what has come out find it hard to believe this was done for environmental reasons.

• Like 2

Someone is probably designing a much improved version of the old paper straw.  There simply was no reason to do so before the awareness that plastic straws, and most single use plastic products, are pollutants and terribly wasteful.  Necessity is the mother of invention.

We'll make do with the cardboard paper version until the new improved version is manufactured.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So here is a serious question.  Instead of paper straws that suck (pun intended), does anyone make straws from that compistable, biodegradable corn based, plastic type product?  They make cups and lids from it, so would think that straws would,d be the logical next step.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don't understand why they don't use reusable metal straws instead of paper ones. Still better for the environment but not terrible like paper

There was a woman complaining to John Heald the other day that she brings her own towels because she can't stand the thought of using a towel on her face that someone else has dried their "privates" on.  I can just imagine the backlash caused by using a reusable straw.  

We have insulated cups that have straws in them.  It's not that easy cleaning them let alone sanitizing them.  The cruise line's excuse for not using plastic is that they wind up in the ocean.  If plastic straws wind up there, what's to stop metal ones from doing the same?   Personally, I've never seen a straw fly overboard. 

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

There was a woman complaining to John Heald the other day that she brings her own towels because she can't stand the thought of using a towel on her face that someone else has dried their "privates" on.  I can just imagine the backlash caused by using a reusable straw.  

We have insulated cups that have straws in them.  It's not that easy cleaning them let alone sanitizing them.  The cruise line's excuse for not using plastic is that they wind up in the ocean.  If plastic straws wind up there, what's to stop metal ones from doing the same?   Personally, I've never seen a straw fly overboard. 

I wonder how they feel about using forks in the dining areas 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hotsauce126 said:

I wonder how they feel about using forks in the dining areas 

There were a lot of people that commented on that.  Along with forks was sheets, plates, glasses , backs of chairs, hand rails, etc.  🙄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

There were a lot of people that commented on that. 

Along with forks was sheets, plates, glasses , backs of chairs, hand rails, etc.  🙄

It's quite amazing how TV Advertising, Inc.

has successfully convinced us that an utterly-germ-free existence

is the real deal -and something we should strive for.

I refer to the vast array of Cleaning Products -aimed at housewives

that bombard us hourly, on television!

43 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

It's quite amazing how TV Advertising, Inc.

has successfully convinced us that an utterly-germ-free existence

is the real deal -and something we should strive for.

I refer to the vast array of Cleaning Products -aimed at housewives

that bombard us hourly, on television!

After I retired the first time, I went to work at our schools as a Maintenance/Custodian.  We had a salesman that always came in wanting us to buy his "great" products.  He guaranteed that it would disinfect the toilets with just one wipe.  He packed up his "great" product when I asked "What happens after one person uses that toilet?  Is it still disinfected?"

I had to laugh when they first came out with a battery operated soap dispenser for home use.  It was suppose to eliminate germs because you didn't have to touch it.  OK.  Get soap, wash hands, now you have to turn off the faucet that everybody has left their germs on when they turned it on.

• Thanks 1

I bought my own set of metal straws from Amazon. It comes with a cleaning brush, 6-8 straws (2 sizes, bent and straight, short and tall), and a cloth carrying case with a drawstring. I use them at home or traveling and put a couple in my purse when I go out. I notice they also have bamboo ones now, too. I love them.

• Like 3

A couple of fast food chains up here in Canada have switched to paper straws for their soft drinks. They are thicker and stiffer than the old plastic ones, but they work well.

I'm sure that after one or two frozen cocktails, most cruisers won't be able to discern any difference at all. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ABCGreys said:

I've seen stories about straws made out of pasta https://www.pastastraws.org/ which seem like they'd hold up well and then be quickly biodegradable. 

Well you'd have a problem because they wouldn't be gluten free.....:D

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

The cruise line's excuse for not using plastic is that they wind up in the ocean.  If plastic straws wind up there, what's to stop metal ones from doing the same?   Personally, I've never seen a straw fly overboard. 

Not an excuse at all.  Plastic does end up in the ocean, Carnival isn't incinerating it, they're dumping it outright into the ocean (Monitors also found that the Carnival Elation ship dumped plastic garbage overboard during an audit in December. The plastic wasn’t being separated from food, court filings said. https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/04/11/carnival-cruise-ships-docking-judge-threatens/3433559002/).  Even if you haven't seen a straw fly overboard they do, maybe getting tossed into a scupper and then drained out with the waste/rainwater.  

We had plastic straws on vista six weeks ago. Someone on here said they had paper straws on vista out of Florida. Maybe it depends on the port. Vista out of Galveston had plenty of plastic straws...but I brought my own just in case.