Straws on Carnival

jbyrd72

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

A couple of fast food chains up here in Canada have switched to paper straws for their soft drinks. They are thicker and stiffer than the old plastic ones, but they work well.

I'm sure that after one or two frozen cocktails, most cruisers won't be able to discern any difference at all. 😁

I ate at a shake shack in Texas yesterday. Didn’t seem like they had any straws or lids. It’s a chain from the northeast so not surprising.

I always bring straws on vacation.  We have the ones made from corn that are compostable.   We buy them at the local restaurant supply in Denver area.  Have a great trip and bring you own if you have any doubts.

• Like 1

People need to stop using straws. The paper straws use a ton of water and chemicals to make - not to mention all of the trees used. Obviously plastic straws are bad. Reusable metal might be the best option but seems like that would be energy intensive to make and clean.

It'

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

People need to stop using straws. The paper straws use a ton of water and chemicals to make - not to mention all of the trees used. Obviously plastic straws are bad. Reusable metal might be the best option but seems like that would be energy intensive to make and clean.

It's not likely people will stop using straws.  Drinks like milkshakes, frappes, frozen alcoholic drinks, etc, will always need straws and no, I will not "eat" my milkshake with a spoon. I do agree that straws are over used.  I was raised in the South.  My mother would cringe when someone drank iced tea with a straw.  To this day, I never use one when I drink out of a glass.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

This will never happen too many agoraphobic people. 

11 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

It's usually the people who understand the least about microbiology that are the most concerned

I have a small farm if those people handled what I handle they would die.i just had a goat give birth and I had to assist.kind of messy.😱😱

2 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

You’re going to have to go somewhere to wash that straw between drinks if you’re getting something different. I don’t like drinking out of metal cans so I doubt I’d like a metal straw. Stryofoam cup with a  plastic straw is the way to drink a soda.

• Like 1

I have started taking my own straws.  When I used one of their paper straws, it was ok at first, but then the drink did not taste right.  So I will continue to bring my box of plastic straws.  Seriously thinking of getting one of the metal ones, but would probably forget to take it out of glass when finished.

Now I do remember, decades ago, when in school, we drank milk with paper straws.  We never seemed to have a problem back then. lol 

I don't mind paper straws, but you can't let it sit too long in your drink. It softens.

My last cruise used plastic straws, but you had to ask for it (which makes sense to me).

• Like 1