Best value Labadee cabanas for us :)

vacationlover_mn

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, if it's just the 2 of you maybe consider a beach bed instead?  It would save you quite a bit of money and you would have some of the same amenities (cooler with bottled water, floating mats, shade and sun).  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2500592-labadee-beach-bed-review/?tab=comments#comment-53864849

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:10 AM, brillohead said:

A bungalow is another option that is much cheaper than a cabana.  They are located at the far end of Columbus Cove beach and they run in the $200-$250 ballpark.  

We're thinking about these for next January. Anyone have a detailed map of their location(s) and/or any recommendations on a specific bungalow one might try to request once onboard or upon arrival at Labadee?...

8 hours ago, IndyCapt said:

We're thinking about these for next January. Anyone have a detailed map of their location(s) and/or any recommendations on a specific bungalow one might try to request once onboard or upon arrival at Labadee?...

They are just in a line at the far end of Columbus Cove, right on the beach, and my understanding is that they are first-come, first-served.  

Just depends if you want to be on the near end, the far end, or in the middle.  Personal preference, not anything that one is better/worse than any other. 

You can see some pictures in this thread from a few years ago.

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

They are just in a line at the far end of Columbus Cove, right on the beach, and my understanding is that they are first-come, first-served.  

Just depends if you want to be on the near end, the far end, or in the middle.  Personal preference, not anything that one is better/worse than any other. 

You can see some pictures in this thread from a few years ago.

Thanks! That thread had some very helpful info along with the pictures. We went ahead and booked a bungalow for our January 2020 cruise. They were listed for $210 in the cruise planner. (It's amazing they want $579 now for a Nellies cabana!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyCapt said:

Thanks! That thread had some very helpful info along with the pictures. We went ahead and booked a bungalow for our January 2020 cruise. They were listed for $210 in the cruise planner. (It's amazing they want $579 now for a Nellies cabana!)

You're very welcome!

I agree that the pricing for cabanas is astronomical, but as long as people are willing to pay it (and there's a sucker born every minute!), RCI will continue to charge it.  

• 3 weeks later...

The bungalows have a max of 8 people. I got lucky with my group of 10 arriving in 2 groups, with 2 different people checking us in. The first attendant seemed like he was going to be strict regarding the limit and my husband and I were prepared to sit out. But before I knew what was happening, the rest of the 10 were let in by the other attendant. 

To answer your questions: yes, we all had wristbands, and, you reserve the bungalows on the cruise planner. There are only eight of them and they sold out quickly, but I kept watching and someone must have canceled, because I was eventually able to book one. I think the only way to guarantee 10 people getting in is to book 2 bungalows. 

We only have 2 people, so want to go with a thrifty option 🙂. In the past, there was a place we could walk up to, give the guy $20, and we’d get chairs, shade, floaty mats and booze service.  We’d also tip a lot at the end.  Curious if they still have that somewhere?

Edited by vacationlover_mn

On 4/13/2019 at 2:11 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Any recommendations on the best value Labadee cabanas for DH and I?  I want sun, he wants shade, and we both want a peaceful beautiful view.  Ideally, we’d also have a drink guy coming around...

$5 per person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

We only have 2 people, so want to go with a thrifty option 🙂. In the past, there was a place we could walk up to, give the guy $20, and we’d get chairs, shade, floaty mats and booze service.  We’d also tip a lot at the end.  Curious if they still have that somewhere?

Saw a map of Labadee today, and it looks like the place I went to years ago was Columbus Cove.  Do you guys know if we can a do this there?

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Saw a map of Labadee today, and it looks like the place I went to years ago was Columbus Cove.  Do you guys know if we can a do this there?

The loungers are typically out already -- you might have to drag one under a tree if you want shade.  I usually sleep in and get there around lunchtime, but I've always been able to find some shade to drag a lounger under, even if it was towards the back away from the water.  

Floating mats are available for rental at the shack in the middle of the beach, charged to your Seapass card. 

I don't typically see waiters just walking around the beach taking drink orders, although they may walk by now and then with a tray of Labadoozies or a cooler of beer.  But there is a bar you can walk up to.  (In my defense, I'm usually in the water, so there may be wandering waiters and I've just never seen them.)