Main Dining Room Attire

ScottC4746

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I KNOW.

Not sure you did understand my point. I'm not trying to dictate your views or convince you to pack a tuxedo.  I'm just saying there's no point in trying to justify/explain something that doesn't need to be justified. I've heard all the excuses before in the days when HAL had a dressier code for what they used to call formal nights. Now that dress codes have been relaxed, there's no need to explain why you choose not to dress up. 

As another poster here says, I can explain it to you but I can't make you comprehend it.

Pot, meet kettle.  Apparently, some can't comprehend what others post.  If there's no need to explain why some choose not to dress up. why do so many of the usual suspects continue to harp on the "why can't people make the effort to dress up on Gala Night?"    Hypocrites abound on HAL...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sometimes I think people post just to post.  Example, someone starts a thread with a simple question and then hundreds post a response without checking to see that the question had been answered already.

Scott, there are some usual suspects on the HAL board who love to bemoan and whine that people aren't dressing up to the old standards.  There are some who will respond and defend dressing to the NEW suggestions.  Some will try to say "there were more people in tuxes on OUR cruise" to try to defend their want to go back to the old days.  Some will say "we only saw one couple the whole week in formal wear" to try to defend dressing to the current suggestions.  It's a prominent issue on HAL, just like it was on Celebrity when they changed.  But, Celebrity cruisers seem to have recovered and adapted, while the old guard on HAL keep on whining.

• Like 2

People should wear what they want to dine in the MDR be it a tux or long gown and a tiara  or shorts and a tee shirt or come naked if they want.  I don't care, I don't look at others for how they are dressed nor do I want them to look at me.  I am on a cruise to relax, enjoy good food and drinks and spend time with my loved ones. not to judge others.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, peiguy48 said:

People should wear what they want to dine in the MDR be it a tux or long gown and a tiara  or shorts and a tee shirt or come naked if they want.  I don't care, I don't look at others for how they are dressed nor do I want them to look at me.  I am on a cruise to relax, enjoy good food and drinks and spend time with my loved ones. not to judge others.  

Naked ?  Really ?  I hope your loved ones on the ship with you all agree and are all adults. 🙄

Edited by taxmantoo

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Little known fact:  even on the nudist cruises there is a dress code.  No nudity allowed in the dining areas.  (At least that's what I've been told.)

Almost :classic_cool: The rule in the dining areas is that the male and female external genital organs have to be covered up

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Almost :classic_cool: The rule in the dining areas is that the male and female external genital organs have to be covered up

Just like in our European Spa’s! 😀. Yes, we go naked and mixed. No problemo as NOBODY JUDGES YOU. Everyone wears the same: nothing or a towel.

and if anyone judges your body, that is extremely sad and that person should urgently go see a psychiatrist.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I really don't care what people are wearing, as long as they're clean and presentable. 

I totally agree with  this statement.  As long as you are comfortable it should matter what you wear as long as you have something on LOL.  

16 hours ago, Despegue said:

Just like in our European Spa’s! 😀. Yes, we go naked and mixed. No problemo as NOBODY JUDGES YOU. Everyone wears the same: nothing or a towel.

and if anyone judges your body, that is extremely sad and that person should urgently go see a psychiatrist.

Kinda like the Brazilians...........:classic_cool:

15 hours ago, Mosaic said:

"Presentable" in who's eyes???

The cruise line, of course.  They are responsible for determining what is OK on the ship and what is not.  Everyone else needs to either deal with it or go elsewhere.  Just like any business.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

My DH stored his tuxedo in the back of his closet.

Now he wears suits with tie on gala night.  He still likes to dress up a little.

Ggpood to know.  I am planning to wear coat & tie for Gala nights.  Just because I don’t get to wear one anymore.  ( I’m an RN)

As the wife loves it, I am obliged to dress in dinner suit and tie. 

Having to wear already black tie for work, it is not my idea of relaxation but alas, tradition also has its importance in a cruise experience and thus I more or less happily participate.

Consider it a fancy dress occasion.

I am going out on a limb here.  Dressing "properly" IS important, it is an extension of being polite.  It tells others that you respect them AND yourself.  So many people, especially Americans, think they can just show up dressed however they want.  Call it what you want (lazy comes to mind), but my mama told me two things about this topic, when in Rome, do as the Romans, and it is rude to do otherwise.  Personally, you want to show up in jeans and tennis shoes to a "formal or dressy casual" event, go ahead.  I won't be the one who is embarrassed or feel out of place.  But don't deride those who took the effort, (and yes, even the extra piece of luggage sometimes) in order to dress appropriately.  I can attest, however, that one can travel for weeks on end with nothing more than a 22inch roll-aboard bag and tote, and STILL dress appropriately.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OhioLair said:

I am going out on a limb here.  Dressing "properly" IS important, it is an extension of being polite.  It tells others that you respect them AND yourself.  So many people, especially Americans, think they can just show up dressed however they want.  Call it what you want (lazy comes to mind), but my mama told me two things about this topic, when in Rome, do as the Romans, and it is rude to do otherwise.  Personally, you want to show up in jeans and tennis shoes to a "formal or dressy casual" event, go ahead.  I won't be the one who is embarrassed or feel out of place.  But don't deride those who took the effort, (and yes, even the extra piece of luggage sometimes) in order to dress appropriately.  I can attest, however, that one can travel for weeks on end with nothing more than a 22inch roll-aboard bag and tote, and STILL dress appropriately.  

I'm of the same mindset.  Dressing properly helps set the atmosphere.  I'm not saying it needs to be a tux, but at least some effort should be exhausted.  

• Like 3

All I need to wear for Gala Nights is slacks and a collared shirt and I meet the HAL suggested dress, period, and that is what I will wear. The days of dress to impress are long gone, thankfully. I quit the advertising industry after 20 years of wearing suits every day to work, the last 18 years my current job only requires slacks or Kakis and a collared which are mostly gold shirts.

• Like 1

+1.  We travel for two months at a time with carry on only.  We have no trouble meeting the gala night guidelines. For me, collared shirt, slacks.

I had years of wearing suits for business.  Many years ago, on a Caribbean cruise, when we actually packed formal clothes,  DW suggest that we skip formal night in the MDR and dine elsewhere.  That was about the last time either of us ever packed or attended formal night in the MDR on any cruise line.   It made us realize that for us, the dress up routine and the packing that went with it, actually detracted from our total cruise experience.  We could really care less how people dress for gala evenings.  It has zero impact on our enjoyment of the cruise.  We are happy to let HAL decide who goes into the MDR.  If it is OK with HAL, it is OK with us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

But don't deride those who took the effort, (and yes, even the extra piece of luggage sometimes) in order to dress appropriately. 

Similarly, don't deride those who meet but don't exceed HAL's dress code. They too are dressing appropriately.

• Like 4

So....can we all agree that "covered" and clean are the "requirements"? We don't bring the tux and gown any more but DH brings a tie and dress shirts and if there is room in luggage a jacket, I bring long dresses, not gowns but I really don't care what others wear.  Wait a minute I am really against baseball hats in MDR.

• Like 1