LIVE on Edge Apr 14 Western Caribbean

CC Help Jenn

30 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

76C6DA09-11D6-499E-8834-2DF997F6FF80.jpeg

I swear I’ve never taken so many selfies in my life 🙂.  I should have made my daughter give me selfie lessons.  I do hope it helps though because I was searching and searching through photos on the boards to figure out what to pack and how to dress. 

Thanks for sharing your Edge experience and your outfits.  That black jumpsuit is divine!  Do you remember where you purchased it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cricketgirl said:

Thanks for sharing your Edge experience and your outfits.  That black jumpsuit is divine!  Do you remember where you purchased it?

I love it too.... we will all be wearing it on EDGE! More visits to the gym needed for me!

Don't you love Jen's cruise wardrobe? Looks easily packable, yet  perfect for all the events!

• Like 4

Thanks again for all the info and pictures.

Brunch - looks wonderful especially the crepes; however, I can guarantee I wouldn't pay a $39.00 upcharge, even on an expense, account.  I would just go to the MDR and have a double smoked salmon plate.

By the way, there is a great crepe place on Las Olas in FLL, that you can go pre or post cruise and is more reasonable, by a lot, assuming you are cruising fro southern Florida.

Eden is not doing it for me as well, especially at $65 additional.  The menu does look good though.

I suppose I should have asked if there are discounts available before I commented.  We go to specialties often, but in 32 cruises, never at full price (well, except Johnny Rockets on Royal when the upcharge was $5 😁)

Edited by kenevenpar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

I actually acquired it using Stitch Fix a year or so ago.  I will look at the brand/designer though and maybe it’s in store or online somewhere 🙂.  It was so comfortable

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

Thanks again for all the info and pictures.

Brunch - looks wonderful especially the crepes; however, I can guarantee I wouldn't pay a $39.00 upcharge, even on an expense, account.  I would just go to the MDR and have a double smoked salmon plate.

By the way, there is a great crepe place on Las Olas in FLL, that you can go pre or post cruise and is more reasonable, by a lot, assuming you are cruising fro southern Florida.

Eden is not doing it for me as well, especially at $65 additional.  The menu does look good though.

I suppose I should have asked if there are discounts available before I commented.  We go to specialties often, but in 32 cruises, never at full price (well, except Johnny Rockets on Royal when the upcharge was $5 😁)

See this is why I am trying to eat at as many pay-for restaurants that I can.  You can use my experience to decide if any of the places I’ve eaten are worth your vacation dollars.  Every bite of food I’ve had on this ship has been very good. This includes all of the included restaurants/cafes/lounges and the Oceanview.  The pizza at the back of Oceanview  is A ++++  and I come from an area of the country where we have the best pizza.   I do find myself more persnickety about food quality than some (aka harder to impress, though food is subjective) so for me to have enjoyed every bite and not have one complaint is kind of a big deal 🙂 

i think you can purchase a dining plan but not sure of the specifics

When we travel as a family (or just a couple) we would probably not spend a lot of money on upcharge dining.  Unless we booked a very low price cruise. 

We do generally chose one upcharge dinner as a date night each cruise, just me and the hubs. We try to choose the most “exotic” or different type of restaurant on a ship. I could see my hubs and I using either Le Petit Chef or Eden as our date night. While the kids would have loved the animation, the food would have been lost on them.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jenn...your review and photos are wonderful.  I am learning some new information, while getting closer to my cruise date.  Can't wait for more, along with your video and what you have learned about Edge updates etc.....thanks so much!

Edited by Lastdance

Sorry I was quiet!  As I mentioned at the start I was leaving this cruise early so that I could be home with the kids for Easter 🙂  I was traveling pretty much all of the day yesterday.  Last night my unwelcome Mal de debarquement has started.  Does anyone else suffer from this?  I remember after our very first cruise I came home wondering why I was now "land sick" when I had felt no seasickness during the cruise.  Every single cruise I have ever taken I return with this syndrome. It usually lasts me a good week of just feeling dizzy, swaying, a bit fuzzy in the mind.  It is not fun - but cruising is totally worth it to me!

I will update later today on Grand Cayman, Eden Lunch, Fine Cut dinner - plus some insight on the early debark procedure, cruising solo-ish, and final thoughts!

• Like 2

Grand Cayman. I started the day off waking up at 5:30 am thinking it was 6:30.  My phone didn’t auto-switch with the time zone 😂.  So there’s your reminder to check ship time to make sure your synced up.  Grand Caymen and Cozumel are behind an hour. 

I decided to go for a run!  That incline does take some effort. Add in the humidity and you’re getting quite the workout!

After my run I stopped by the Spa cafe to sample a breakfast energy bar and coffee.

B07D07D3-C265-4769-BD9E-02DCCCA9F389.jpeg

Once I was cooled down enough I stopped into Oceanview for a made to order  omelet (tomato, pepper,jalapeño, onion, cheese,bacon) and some potato   It was delicious   Plenty of options at the made to order stations!   I noticed two of them and while there were lines it wasn’t terrible 

99BD982E-B5E2-46CB-8280-6427F41757CE.jpeg

After some work and a shower I headed down to the Magic Carpet to tender to Grand Cayman.  It was the simplest and most enjoyable tender.  The seats were cushioned, the boat was air conditioned.  Very nice!  I’m sure there may have been a line when they first started rendering. When I went there was no line at all and our tender was mostly empty 

I do believe that not everyone in the morning used the Edge tenders.  I think they were running those as well as the Grand Cayman tenders early when there were larger number of people getting off at once. 

0635A8BB-F843-4224-B464-004FE3646EB5.jpeg

DAF3C22E-1AFC-40E0-93B0-A8934D763E8B.jpeg

I didn’t have a plan for GC.  I thought about getting crepes but I wasn’t hungry.  I settled for a tasty iced chai tea while I shopped for trinkets for the kids.  

E409D223-831E-4728-8AFF-B19AA2AAE970.jpeg

48B6B4D7-6859-414E-955F-6ACC9624C91C.jpeg

Coming back there were cool towels and water waiting for everyone at the tender dock

9354022D-A863-4A8B-B689-C60F7E1E3FF6.jpeg

72AA45F9-751B-4441-A745-35E1677A0096.jpeg

On the way way back I was on a GC tender.  They were running both the Edge tender and the GC tender at that point (around 1:00pm) 

E953FE76-4C2A-4D4C-A81E-4A73CCB728FB.jpeg

When I noticed the time (1:15) I immediately ran up to Eden Cafe to try lunch before they closed.  I asked the server what was the most popular that day and went with that.  A chicken pesto panini.  Eden Cafe lunch is included in your fare but you can purchase coffee drinks.   The regular coffee is complimentary 

9A594FBF-6FC5-4509-83E5-8B9BA866396F.jpeg

0454D162-D414-437B-8702-553C4F4E8710.jpeg

It was really good!!  A huge sandwich though and I had to ditch the bread on the second half.

I spent the rest of the afternoon working and delivering raffle prizes that were won at the Connections Party. 

How great is the door decor?! So much fun. 

22D4382D-31F3-40E6-A709-ABB6C7C61814.jpeg

• Like 3

We had dinner at in Fine Cut steakhouse.  The charge is $55.  I told you I was trying as many venues as I could!  I do wish I had time to sample the MDRs as well to do a comparison 

Note that I did see a guest asked to change into pants when he arrived in shorts.  From talking to others on the sailing the same happened in the MDRs as well. They were requesting adherence to the dress code all around (what little there was which I think is no shorts, swimsuits, and flip flops)

72ED91C6-FDC9-442D-A46A-5C30D9335165.jpeg

A7B80CA2-38EA-455E-8CBE-ECFA9D972C83.jpeg

I started with the tomato salad.  It was really tasty but I swore these words would never leave my mouth.   There was a touch too much cheese.  I love cheese so I wanted to eat it all but there was just a lot of it 😉  It’s not really a complaint — just something to note. 

361ACDC9-E7A6-459B-9315-6BEF48D26F13.jpeg

Our waiter encouraged us to try to try more than one appetizer but I didn’t have it in me.  I’ve had so much food up to this point 😂

There are a handful of entrees you can order or you can choose your cut of steak and pick a sauce if you’d like.  If you want more than one entree the additional charge was $20. 

I ordered the 6oz filet but the waiter suggested to go 9oz because it would be juicer.  🤷🏻‍♀️  Okay if he says so!  I had that with black truffle butter.  Like the other steaks, this was fantastic.  Even better than the steak from Le Petit Chef 

AA0DE445-4C17-4578-AA58-19EC6BD74C9A.jpeg

We also were indecisive on sides so he brought all 7!!

47DCFB05-3775-42F5-AF63-7709EA556096.jpeg

Being honest I was unimpressed by the truffle fries and giant tater tots.  I felt they didn’t have a ton of flavor.  On the other hand, the macaroni and cheese was amazing.  There was no lack of flavor there! 

When it came time for dessert we were all just too full!

32B0C72F-2AFE-4C8C-A42A-72AB8F832F7D.jpeg

01316D80-4D4C-4532-BA63-0E08FD66CE70.jpeg

After dinner I headed back to the room to pack since I was hitting the road in the morning 😢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad that you were able to use one of the tenders. They don't use them on every cruise. They are so comfortable to ride in.

Hope you are feeling better now. I used to have that post cruise vertigo. After my first cruise way back in the 80's (probably pre modern stabilizers), I went to my PCP thinking I had a brain tumor because I was walking into walls for 2 weeks after the cruise. Luckily he had been on a cruise the previous year and had the same issues after his cruise, so knew to prescribe the anti-vertigo medication. Now I have mild symptoms after a rocky cruise, but never again like that first one.

Take care and thanks for all the updates!

I am surprised that they are charging extra for an extra appetizer. None of them are worth an extra $20, IMO. I think our friends tried more than one when we went and didn't get charged (maybe they changed it because of parties like us 😉). At least they are generous with the sides! Too bad you were too full for the Ultimate Chocolate Sundae - one of the few desserts I had onboard that I ate every single bit (we usually shared)! 🙂

Daily Outfits

A breezy tee and skirt for walking around GC.  Tip:  a good pair or running or bike shorts under your skirts and dresses makes for more comfortable walking around and also can alleviate any embarrassment if your skirt catches a swift breeze while walking on deck.  I may have some past personal experience there that led to this revelation 😉 

74FD343D-9E3C-42D9-98D6-0055CD49E436.jpeg

Dinner.  I’ll let you in on a little secret. I scored this sleeveless cocktail dress as I was shopping in target for Easter supplies!  It caught my eye because it had pockets.  It’s also stretchy so I have room to eat more, as I tend to do so on cruises.  It was I think $25 and also doesn’t seem to wrinkle easily.   So there’s my great value dress!  

I ended up wearing these nude heels more often than my higher black heels.  They were lower and more comfortable. They went with most of my dresses too.  Next time I could probably pack less shoes. 

DD24C48F-C485-40CB-9391-537249F86301.jpeg

72137D9F-3BB4-47CA-8722-6BD0B5FAA728.jpeg

Most guests were cruise casual tonight, aside from Mr Shorts who was just casual 🙂

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

I am surprised that they are charging extra for an extra appetizer. None of them are worth an extra $20, IMO. I think our friends tried more than one when we went and didn't get charged (maybe they changed it because of parties like us 😉). At least they are generous with the sides! Too bad you were too full for the Ultimate Chocolate Sundae - one of the few desserts I had onboard that I ate every single bit (we usually shared)! 🙂

Editing that!!  I meant $20 for the extra entree 🙂    I’ll have to cruise Edge again for the sundae 

• Like 1

Just now, CC Help Jenn said:

Editing that!!  I meant $20 for the extra entree 🙂    I’ll have to cruise Edge again for the sundae 

Okay, that makes more sense. Even our friends didn't ask for 2 steaks, though the bone in filet mignon was the best they ever had eaten. I had to agree - we ate there 3 times and it was superb all 3 times.

22 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Wonder when they started doing that? New on Edge? Because on Equinox last year, we were encouraged to get "surf and turf" or order more than 1 entree in multiple situations. Never an additional charge.

8 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Wonder when they started doing that? New on Edge? Because on Equinox last year, we were encouraged to get "surf and turf" or order more than 1 entree in multiple situations. Never an additional charge.

I am guessing that this is specific to either Edge or the specific restaurant.  I would be curious to see if the other ships in the fleet are following suit or have changed over already to an extra charge

14 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Was that in the MDR? There wouldn't be an extra charge on the Edge to have surf and turf in the MDR. The steaks in Prime Cut Steakhouse are advertised as Prime or premium dry-aged, so a cut above. I can see charging extra for those steaks. 🙂

37 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Was that in the MDR? There wouldn't be an extra charge on the Edge to have surf and turf in the MDR. The steaks in Prime Cut Steakhouse are advertised as Prime or premium dry-aged, so a cut above. I can see charging extra for those steaks. 🙂

No, actually in both Tuscan and Murano this happened. My husband and I each had individual entrees in Murano, plus split a lobster tail entree between us. No extra charge at all.

5 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Sorry I was quiet!  As I mentioned at the start I was leaving this cruise early so that I could be home with the kids for Easter 🙂  I was traveling pretty much all of the day yesterday.  Last night my unwelcome Mal de debarquement has started.  Does anyone else suffer from this?  I remember after our very first cruise I came home wondering why I was now "land sick" when I had felt no seasickness during the cruise.  Every single cruise I have ever taken I return with this syndrome. It usually lasts me a good week of just feeling dizzy, swaying, a bit fuzzy in the mind.  It is not fun - but cruising is totally worth it to me!

I’m sorry you had to leave the cruise early, but happy you’ll get to spend Easter with your family🙂 Thanks for continuing your review🌺 I have only once had a moderate case of “land sickness”. Though I’d just returned from a 16 day cruise, the intermittent vertigo disconcerted me enough to see my PCP. He confirmed that my symptoms were due to my inner ears being slow to adapt to my return to land. In my case, returning home to full blown tree allergies didn’t help lol. My doc recommended OTC meclizine (Bonine). My symptoms disappeared after two days on Bonine.  Of course, you’ll want to check with your own PCP. Hope you feel better soon!

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

No, actually in both Tuscan and Murano this happened. My husband and I each had individual entrees in Murano, plus split a lobster tail entree between us. No extra charge at all.

I think it has to do with the prime or premium dry-aged label. In Tuscan the prime steak has an upcharge ($15-18). I too have been with people who had surf and turf in Murano, but they don't advertise prime or dry-aged meat there, so maybe that is the difference?  Let's hope they don't change that option! 🙂

8 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Which venue are you speaking about eating in? 

Bon voyage