Genoa cruise port to Santa Margherita/Portofino

Shellylee

We are looking to get to Portofino on our own from the Genoa port.  How easy is it to get to the train station and which train should we take? Also we were thinking of taking the boat from Santa Margarita to Portofino and maybe up to Camogli  and then get back on the train to Port Genoa.  Does this seem reasonable for a day trip to see the most before the ship leaves at 9 PM? Would appreciate any information anyone could suggest. 

Thanks,

Michelle from California 

8 hours ago, Shellylee said:

We are looking to get to Portofino on our own from the Genoa port.  How easy is it to get to the train station and which train should we take? Also we were thinking of taking the boat from Santa Margarita to Portofino and maybe up to Camogli  and then get back on the train to Port Genoa.  Does this seem reasonable for a day trip to see the most before the ship leaves at 9 PM? Would appreciate any information anyone could suggest. 

Thanks,

Michelle from California 

Hi Michelle

The train station is about a 10 minute walk from the port. I have bought my return train tickets to Santa Margherita and back to Genoa. We are planning to walk from Santa Margherita to Portofino and then return by ferry to get the train back to Genoa. 

www.trainline.com

9 hours ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Hi Michelle

The train station is about a 10 minute walk from the port. I have bought my return train tickets to Santa Margherita and back to Genoa. We are planning to walk from Santa Margherita to Portofino and then return by ferry to get the train back to Genoa. 

www.trainline.com

That is precisely what we did. Wonderful day with nice lunch in Portofino.  My one concern about the method is that part of the walkway from Santa M to Portofino was reportedly closed for repairs.  For the OP who is planning a boat journey all the way there should be no problem.

Hi,

Sorry for jumping on your post OP, I hope you don't mind. If we were to take the train does it go up along the coast? How often does the ferry run?

We are in Genoa from 8am to 6pm, would this be enough time to get to Portofino, have a walk around, eat lunch and get back to the ship? First time cruiser so I haven't a clue how things work with getting off and back on the ship and I would love to see a few places without the need for tour buses. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, wheezedr said:

That is precisely what we did. Wonderful day with nice lunch in Portofino.  My one concern about the method is that part of the walkway from Santa M to Portofino was reportedly closed for repairs.  For the OP who is planning a boat journey all the way there should be no problem.

I read somewhere that the road is now open so I'm sticking with my plan. Glad you had a good day.

Thanks for the info everybody. We are on a Princess ship and are in port until 9:00 pm, so we have the whole day. We will probably walk to the train station and get on the fast train (my husband wants to go fast) to Santa Margherita and then take the ferry to Portofino or walk. I'd like to spent more time on the water doing a coastal thing maybe up to Genoa. I'll have to research some more.

Michelle