Naples, Livorno and Genoa - Things to do/see

eirbear

Hi all,

We are going on a cruise at the end of the month and I am looking at making plans for some of the days. My thoughts so far are;

Livorno - I would like to see Pisa so I was thinking the Florence and Pisa trip through MSC but it is steep at €92pp (esp when I have no interest in being stuck on a bus for too long). Does anyone have any other ideas, is it possible to get a train or bus? So that we could explore Pisa for a few hours on our own. 

Genoa - Train to Santa Margherita and then bus or ferry to Portofino. Have a wander around, have lunch before heading back.

Naples - I have nothing planned for here yet. I don't want to Sorrento or Pompei. Is there anything to see/do in Naples itself? Nice places for lunch? 

Is there something more worth while doing then the above as I am open to suggestion. 

Thanks a million! 

It is very easy to get to Pisa on your own from Livorno by either train or bus.

You could spend a month in Naples and still not see everything within three miles or so of the cruise port.  Some of the most popular sites are the Archaeology Museum, Cappella Sansevero museum, the Certosa di San Martino, the underground tours, the Santa Chiara cloisters, Via San Gregorio Armano, Spaccanapoli, the royal apartments, teatro San Carlo, etc.

2 hours ago, eirbear said:

Livorno - I would like to see Pisa so I was thinking the Florence and Pisa trip through MSC but it is steep at €92pp (esp when I have no interest in being stuck on a bus for too long). Does anyone have any other ideas, is it possible to get a train or bus? So that we could explore Pisa for a few hours on our own. 

Naples - I have nothing planned for here yet. I don't want to Sorrento or Pompei. Is there anything to see/do in Naples itself? Nice places for lunch? 

It is very easy and inexpensive to use the train (I have no experience with the bus) - Pisa is only about 20 minutes via train. You must first get from your dock to the train station - your ship may offer a shuttle or you may get a taxi (note: some drivers don't want the small fare to the train station, they want the fares to Florence, etc.). Some good info on the link below:

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/tuscany/pisa/planning/to-by-ship.html

Our favorite in Naples is the National Archaeology Museum but as mentioned above, there are many other things to do in the city. You could also take the hydrofoil over to Capri.

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-naples-italy/

Edited by dogs4fun