Cruise Critic Community
Bratbrey

Long time since my last cruise and need some refreshing

When getting off the ship in ports, do we need to take our passports/birth certificates/drivers licenses or do we just need our room card and they check our picture when we are reboarding?  Really don't want to carry those items to the beach.

1 minute ago, Bratbrey said:

When getting off the ship in ports, do we need to take our passports/birth certificates/drivers licenses or do we just need our room card and they check our picture when we are reboarding?  Really don't want to carry those items to the beach.

You should take your ship card for all and a government issued photo ID for those 16 and over.

There are ports (like Nassau) that will not let you approach the ship without the photo ID.

The ship will always tell you to take your ship card and government issued photo ID when getting off at a port stop.   We have rarely been asked for photo IDs but the last time we were asked, boy were we glad we had them!   There were passengers standing around all over the place with no photo IDs trying to get back on the ship.    (The photo IDs were being asked for by port security, not ship personnel.)

I always bring a copy of my passport when I leave the ship, along with my ship card and license (photo ID).  Have never needed it, but just in case the worst case scenario happens...…………………………….