Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

I hope this won't be a problem for us.  We never switch to Airplane Mode while cruising in order to keep in contact (phone / text) with our sitter back home via Cellular At Sea.  (Five-cent texts is a good deal for peace of mind.)  We also text among our group on board, which may not be necessary using Medallion.

I don’t know how your plan works but I’ve received texts while in Airplane mode with WiFi on.  My plan hasn’t charged us but there would be a fee to reply which hasn’t been necessary for me to do.

I admit I didn't read this whole thread!  I don't sail until next April.  Do you have to wait until closer to sailing to use Ocean Ready for the medallion?

Thanks!

Edited by Plant

3 minutes ago, Plant said:

I admit I didn't read this whole thread!  I don't sail until next April.  Do you have to wait until closer to sailing to use Ocean Ready for the medallion?

Thanks!

For our late April cruise the OceanReady app didn’t accept information until 6 weeks in advance & after completing the process we could order the Medallion.  The MedallionClass webpage contains useful information & has said OR is available about 6-8 weeks in advance.

No one knows if things will change before your cruise.

15 hours ago, ecs66 said:

After being a slave to technology throughout my career, and now retired, I think your perspective on this is excellent.  I agree with you.  Who needs to deal with wasted time, and the headache(s) of a glitchy system if it isn't mandatory?

I agree.  Whiz bang technology does not appeal to me when it takes more time to make it work and keep it working.  I don't walk around with my nose glued to a device, I leave it in my pocket when dining, and if someone else has their attention on their device when dining out with friends, I go silent until they notice and put it away.

It will be interesting to see how many passengers and crew will now be focused on their devices instead of each other, their surroundings, and the cruise experience in general.

Edited by SargassoPirate

App or online, I can't complete the check in. I entered my passport info and picture. It now wants travel documents (visas?) but it doesn't provide any links to enter the info, and when I click on the travel docs button, I get an error that no travel docs are found. I am a USA resident traveling the Caribbean. I'll be calling Princess.

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

CruiseVA  I agree.  It's been over 18 months since the roll out of ocean medallion;  that it should have most bugs fixed by now

To be fair the Caribbean Princess only went full on Medallion in October last year.

36 minutes ago, jtnokia said:

I will admit that I didn't read all 14 pages of the posts for Medallions. I was wondering do you get a new one for every cruise? Is the Ocean apps the Princess app? 

Yes. 

Yes. Search the app store for you particular device. 

Edited by Ep010835

2 hours ago, jtnokia said:

I will admit that I didn't read all 14 pages of the posts for Medallions. I was wondering do you get a new one for every cruise? Is the Ocean apps the Princess app? 

Yes, a new Medallion for every cruise.  The Ocean apps are Princess.

4 hours ago, Pamster said:

Yes, a new Medallion for every cruise.  The Ocean apps are Princess.

Just to clarify further, if having multiple consecutive cruises with different cruise confirmation numbers those individual cruises use the same Medallion & don’t get a new one for every cruise.

Here’s a link to their MedallionClass webpage which contains useful information including links to available apps.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

Can anyone tell me what hours the help line is staffed? I just called the 1-844-525-0942 number (not expecting it to be open but assuming they would tell me their hours).

The number is answered "Thank you for calling. Our department is currently closed." And it ended the call.  Notice that the recording does not even identify who you have reached.

WOW! If I was underwhelmed by the Get Ocean Ready experience, this just may have topped it.

Good thing this system is not responsible for weapons control or life support. 

Sorry about the attitude. Guess I should have had my cup of tea first. 😒

4 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Can anyone tell me what hours the help line is staffed? I just called the 1-844-525-0942 number (not expecting it to be open but assuming they would tell me their hours).

The number is answered "Thank you for calling. Our department is currently closed." And it ended the call.  Notice that the recording does not even identify who you have reached.

WOW! If I was underwhelmed by the Get Ocean Ready experience, this just may have topped it.

Good thing this system is not responsible for weapons control or life support. 

Sorry about the attitude. Guess I should have had my cup of tea first. 😒

Happily, no weapons control or life support involved!!

The issues you are experiencing, especially their stated inability to deliver to you in a major metropolitan area, are baffling. It could be that you are actually too far out. In a recent conversation with one of the Ocean Navigators at the 844 number you've been calling, I was told that they must have all of the information from each pax 14 days prior to shipping the medallion(s) in order to make sure that the medallions are loaded correctly. 

Every time I've called the 844 number, I've been able to speak with someone. BTW, when I call the number and get the automated answer, I select prompt 1. This gets me into an Ocean Navigator person. So rather than guess on the hours, I just this minute called to ask about their hours. A very polite and knowledgeable person answered after just 4 minutes on hold. He advised me the Ocean Navigator line is staffed between 5AM and 9PM Pacific Time Monday - Friday and between 6AM and 6PM Pacific Time Sat and Sun. 

I hope this helps and please let us know how your issues were resolved. 

My Ocean Ready app has been fluctuating between fully green and wanting travel docs (even though they still show that they are in there). I've quit worrying about it. Earlier today it was saying I needed travel docs, and just now I checked and I'm all green again. 

I did have a bit of trouble ordering the accessories for our medallions though. Trying to get a bracelet for my wife and a sport band for myself, it was very difficult to get the app to offer the choices for both people. It would offer up the choices for one, and when you went to next profile it just showed the water bottle and notebook. Eventually I played with it enough that it worked, and I was able to complete the purchase. That was several days ago, and they haven't charged my credit card yet which seems odd, but maybe it doesn't post until it ships or something.

For what it's worth, I had the same issue when trying to use the online website. After calling the help number (those people are terrific) I was told that the online website would never work, it has issues, and you MUST use the app to order the medallions and order accessories. Also, they are well aware of the flakey app issues, with the travel docs disappearing. I believe they are working on an update to fix it (but it hasn't rolled out as of yet).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, beerxtaco said:

you MUST use the app to order the medallions and order accessories. Also, they are well aware of the flakey app issues, with the travel docs disappearing. I believe they are working on an update to fix it (but it hasn't rolled out as of yet).

Concur. In all of the recent conversations I've had with the folks at  1-844-525-0942 (the most recent about 2 hours ago), they have all been very specific in advising me to make certain that I'm using a "smart device not a computer" for all Ocean Navigator matters. 

Princess.com on a Mac or PC works the way it has always worked. It's just this new stuff that responds only to input from a "smart device". 

5 minutes ago, hookoncruise said:

Hello, 

Anyone know if I can track family members that's not in the same stateroom as me with the Ocean Compass? 

Thanks! 

Absolutely!! Every pax has his/her own unique code. For anyone you want to "track", input their unique code into the OC app and they will appear. They don't even have to be a part of your cruise folio. If you and a total stranger become close and wish to be able to "track" (I sure don't like that word in the present context) one another, just exchange unique codes and your done. 

Now if they have your unique code and you change your mind.......I don't know what the solution to that might be! 

And Welcome to Cruise Critic!! 😀

Edited by Ep010835

11 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Absolutely!! Every pax has his/her own unique code. For anyone you want to "track", input their unique code into the OC app and they will appear. They don't even have to be a part of your cruise folio. If you and a total stranger become close and wish to be able to "track" (I sure don't like that word in the present context) one another, just exchange unique codes and your done. 

Now if they have your unique code and you change your mind.......I don't know what the solution to that might be! 

Awesome! Thanks!! :D:D:D

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Are you referring to the PIN we had to put in as the unique code? They gave you the option of using the same pin for your whole group and if you need that PIN to find someone, I, for one, will need to go back in and change that.

7 minutes ago, cruiserdru said:

Are you referring to the PIN we had to put in as the unique code? They gave you the option of using the same pin for your whole group and if you need that PIN to find someone, I, for one, will need to go back in and change that.

Pin is different. Think of your unique code is like your cruise reservation number, plus a digit to identify which passenger in the cabin you are.

1 hour ago, cruiserdru said:

Different than PIN. 

Each pax gets his/her own unique code to be used in OC after boarding when you login.