Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Anyone have any idea when the Journey View app gets populated?  I am 90 days out and I have excursions booked and Journey View is empty except the image of the ship sailing to the different ports of call.

The information for our Nov.10 boarding is mostly there, with the exception of MUTS movies. The information for our Nov.17 leg is just getting filled in. I would guess that with entertainers coming and going, venues being changed for certain events and private use of venues based on individual cruise needs, the information tends to get solidified no closer than a week or two out.

Jim😎

19 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

We leave in two days to get on the Sky Princess next Sunday. This wonky app has allowed us to get our medallions, enter our security photo, enter our avitar to show up on screens on the ship. Roughly same amount of time that it would take when we arrive at the port. we actually entered  most of our information when we sailed on the CB last January. So the biggest benefit is it is a lasting editable information package that only needs to be entered once. Our medallions are on order for our cruise in January as well.

We now have a listing and timing of the entertainment in most of the venues on the Journey View part of wonky, almost like having the Patters mailed to us pre-cruise, and can begin to plan our days. I have not been able to order a drink yet, but if I could, the ice would probably be melted by the time we boarded.

Jim😎

Jim...I couldn’t agree with you more.   Ok, the app is wonky and is a work in progress (aren’t all phone apps?).  But, I had no issue getting my family’s info in for our Christmas sailing on Sky Princess, ordering wrist bands for all of us, and otherwise preparing for the cruise.  Looking forward to trying out some of the “convenience” features onboard.   

Enjoy your time on Sky Princess...make sure you leave some fun onboard for us.  We look forward to boarding her in about 6.5 weeks!

38 minutes ago, WNY Cruiser said:

Jim...I couldn’t agree with you more.   Ok, the app is wonky and is a work in progress (aren’t all phone apps?).  But, I had no issue getting my family’s info in for our Christmas sailing on Sky Princess, ordering wrist bands for all of us, and otherwise preparing for the cruise.  Looking forward to trying out some of the “convenience” features onboard.   

Enjoy your time on Sky Princess...make sure you leave some fun onboard for us.  We look forward to boarding her in about 6.5 weeks!

Welcome to CC   :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, seagunthera said:

I've downloaded the correct app and input all information (passports, etc.) but when it gets to the final screen to order the medallions, the app crashes and sends me back to my iPhone home screen.  I've deleted and reinstalled the app as well.  I guess I may just have to make a phone call.  I want to order different accessories(bracelet, etc.) as well.  Is that possible to do on any other site other than through this app?

I appreciate your help with this.

Hello @seagunthera. We apologize for the challenge you're experiencing.  Please email us at AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com with your first and last name and booking number so we can research and quickly resolve for you. Thank you.

5 hours ago, AskOceanMedallion said:

Hello @seagunthera. We apologize for the challenge you're experiencing.  Please email us at AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com with your first and last name and booking number so we can research and quickly resolve for you. Thank you.

So how is all of this wonky app better than just showing up at the pier with your boarding documents in hand?

SargassoPirate;  I would guess it is duplication of effort.  If you fill out the medallion class app and you end up at the pier with the medallion you are good to go.  If you show up at the port with paperwork boarding pass; you will then exchange that for a medallion; which is what Princess is using or trying to use on all their ships. So I guess having your medallion in hand cuts out one extra step in the boarding process

Okay, need a little insight!  I loaded the Medallion App on my I-phone...no issue there.  I then connected to our upcoming cruise in December on the Sky...no problem there.  I then filled in all our information for myself and my wife and uploaded photos of our passports...no problem there.  Where the issue comes in is when she downloaded the Medallion App on her phone and tried to enter the App.  It wouldn't work for her.  Does it have to do with me loading both her and my information on my phone?  Should I take her off my App and let her try and re-load everything for herself?  Or could it be a different issue all together?  Thanks for any words you can provide.

14 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

So how is all of this wonky app better than just showing up at the pier with your boarding documents in hand?

To the experts and/or past Medallion Apps users:  Are there disadvantages to not using the app?

Edited by Vibe
typo error

31 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Does it have to do with me loading both her and my information on my phone?  Should I take her off my App and let her try and re-load everything for herself? 

Cannot say for sure...however, my wife and I did everything separately on separate iphones/apps...everything went seamlessly....and we are impatiently waiting for our medallions which Princess promised no later that Dec 23.  Our cruise is in early January.

Edited by thinfool
  • Like 1

Thanks thinfool...I think I will delete her from mine and have her re-load the App on her phone.  It can't hurt giving it a try and we still have plenty of time.  We sail 7 Dec.  It did allow us to order the medallions already...delivery expected in a few weeks.

15 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

55 minutes ago, Vibe said:

To the experts and/or past Medallion Apps users:  Are there disadvantages to not using the app?

I haven't found any yet.

Maybe ordering a drink at the pool or lounge by phone & having it delivered toy  you. (which we don't do).

11 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Okay, need a little insight!  I loaded the Medallion App on my I-phone...no issue there.  I then connected to our upcoming cruise in December on the Sky...no problem there.  I then filled in all our information for myself and my wife and uploaded photos of our passports...no problem there.  Where the issue comes in is when she downloaded the Medallion App on her phone and tried to enter the App.  It wouldn't work for her.  Does it have to do with me loading both her and my information on my phone?  Should I take her off my App and let her try and re-load everything for herself?  Or could it be a different issue all together?  Thanks for any words you can provide.

Hello @USCcruisecrazy.  Please have your wife create her own OceanProfile using the MedallionClass app.

This can be done from any device ... just make sure if its from your device that you've logged out of your OceanProfile - touch the image in the upper left of the screen. Touch OceanProfile, then select the "Logout" button all the way at the bottom of the screen.

From the Welcome Page, your wife can either select "sign up" or use your booking number to use the "quick access" option.

From there, just follow the prompts.

Should you need any additional assistance, pls don't hesitate to email us at AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com.

8 hours ago, HRHPrinceJim said:

This question may have been asked somewhere on the 60 previous pages, but does having the medallion mean I won’t get a cruise card? I collect them and have them from every cruise I’ve taken.

From what I have learned reading through this thread is that you can indeed request a cruise card from guest relations and that's what I plan to do.  I'm not wasting my time with a wonky app.  I plan to show up at the pier with my folding camping chair (no barrel chairs in the standard balconies anymore), collect the medallion, and once on board head for guest services and get a cruise card.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

From what I have learned reading through this thread is that you can indeed request a cruise card from guest relations and that's what I plan to do.  I'm not wasting my time with a wonky app.  I plan to show up at the pier with my folding camping chair (no barrel chairs in the standard balconies anymore), collect the medallion, and once on board head for guest services and get a cruise card.

I'm beginning to think that the problems are surfacing faster than their IT department can solve them. I use the OcenReady app in Feb but that's been replaced my the MedallionClass app. which I can't load on either of my android phones. :classic_angry:

Unless there a quick answer from the support team I'll just get the Medallions at the pier in January.

Maybe someday in the future they'll have the bugs worked out of the system. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm beginning to think that the problems are surfacing faster than their IT department can solve them. I use the OcenReady app in Feb but that's been replaced my the MedallionClass app. which I can't load on either of my android phones. :classic_angry:

Unless there a quick answer from the support team I'll just get the Medallions at the pier in January.

Maybe someday in the future they'll have the bugs worked out of the system. 

We have done the same thing with are Android phone and have the same results. I have printed out all the info and will use it when we get to the port.

No more messing with the phone or are tablet. We leave in Jan 2020 on Royal from Calif. on 7 day Mex. cruise.

bob and carol.  no worries;  just pick up medallions at the port.  I know most people want them in hand to carry to the port; it really is no different than when you picked up your seacard at the port.  So don't stress;  I get your frustration.  

2 minutes ago, Notonboard said:

Got my bracelets today and HATE them.  They have that push down lock closure that is hard to close and open.  I wish they had made this in a cuff style for unisex. The mens is cheap looking foam!

Oh no!  I was fearful of that.  I chose not to order any accessories and figured, if I felt I needed one, I'd buy it on the ship for this very reason.  I think they want them to stay on and that's why they make it difficult to remove.  I would want to take it off in the cabin for sure.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry to hear you hated it. 😞

1 hour ago, Tempo said:

We have done the same thing with are Android phone and have the same results. I have printed out all the info and will use it when we get to the port.

No more messing with the phone or are tablet. We leave in Jan 2020 on Royal from Calif. on 7 day Mex. cruise.

What get me is that I used the OcenReady app this Oct & it worked for boarding & now they discontinued it in favor of the MedallionClass app and I can't even load it. 

This whole Medallion thing has had numerous problems since it inception so this is nothing new I guess. 

Finding people of the ship is another hit or miss item. It sometimes provides a location that isn't correct. It might be a deck or 2 off while other times it's right on. 

I wonder how long before the whiz kids who designed and rolled out this thing are looking for other jobs?  Right now it's a case of The Emperor's New Clothes for the Princess Cheerleaders.

Good thing these same  IT folks are not programming self driving cars - or are they?

If, when I was working, I had rolled out a project that worked this well, I would've been a mail room sorter so fast my head would've been spinning.

Just saying.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Haha 2