Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

My apologies if this has been discussed already. We'll cruise as elite for the 1st time next year. I plan to exchange the mini bar set up for the 2 coffee pkgs. My husband is not a coffee drinker. I will want to use his pkg when mine is used up. Will there be a problem since his photo not mine will appear on the screen? Thanks.

19 minutes ago, 1965 said:

My apologies if this has been discussed already. We'll cruise as elite for the 1st time next year. I plan to exchange the mini bar set up for the 2 coffee pkgs. My husband is not a coffee drinker. I will want to use his pkg when mine is used up. Will there be a problem since his photo not mine will appear on the screen? Thanks.

Probably not but this depends on the barista at the IC. If you get to know them before your coffee's expire they'll most likely let you use his Medallion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

According to Princess, the 15 premium coffees may be shared.  Why not use up hubby's premium coffees first, then there are no problems for you after they are used up?  The regular brewed coffee is unlimited but non transferable, so you they can't be used up while you are on that cruise.

• Like 1

Sailing Nov 27 - received Medallians by FedEx today Nov 8.

Unfortunately the Medallian Class app on my Android phone, which had worked originally, had gotten an update which causes the main screen to crash.  Tried downloading again but it just says that the latest app is present.  Has anyone tried just nuking the existing app and downloading a fresh version? What I am concerned about is having to re-enter all our personal information.

Thanks, Bob

1 hour ago, Times Prince said:

Sailing Nov 27 - received Medallians by FedEx today Nov 8.

Unfortunately the Medallian Class app on my Android phone, which had worked originally, had gotten an update which causes the main screen to crash.  Tried downloading again but it just says that the latest app is present.  Has anyone tried just nuking the existing app and downloading a fresh version? What I am concerned about is having to re-enter all our personal information.

Thanks, Bob

I had the Ocean Ready app on my android Samsung S6 phone & it sort of partially worked in Oct for our cruise. I went to reload it for our next trip in Jan & couldn't get it to respond so I deleted it & tried to load the Medallion class app and it's not comparable with my phone.

There are just to many problems with their apps. and just not worth the time.

I give up. 

Just got off the Crown Princess.  The Medallion itself works remarkably well.  Use it just like the old Sea Pass Cards.  It connects to the ship wifi.  When the wifi is working, it is great to keep track of your stateroom account (Ocean Concierge) and helps you to maneuver around the ship (Ocean Compass).  It also lets you chat with your significant other or anyone else you have listed as your shipmates (also Ocean Compass); which is great if all of them carry their phones with them and check into the chat feature.  It does not give you a notification of a new "text."  You have to check it frequently.  My frustration was that the wifi crashed about 15 times a day and did not automatically reconnect, although my phone was set to auto connect.  After about two days I told myself that it actually was not worth the worry to insure it worked properly.  I was on vacation and anything short of an emergency was not a real concern anyway.  Even with the presentation they do on the ship and the information you receive via mail, it is very hard to comprehend how it all works until you are on the ship and use it for a couple of days.  The Internet Cafe was one of the busiest places on the ship for the first day or so, with folks having connectivity issues.  It's a great idea, but it definitely needs some work.

We just received our medallions (yay!), but mine only has my first initial, instead of my full first name.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I don't know if it's because I have a long first and last name?  My name is only 2 letters longer than my dad's and his had his whole first name.  It's not really a big deal, but more of a curiosity.

Thanks...

On 11/7/2019 at 8:52 AM, MissP22 said:

I'm beginning to think that the problems are surfacing faster than their IT department can solve them. I use the OcenReady app in Feb but that's been replaced my the MedallionClass app. which I can't load on either of my android phones. :classic_angry:

Unless there a quick answer from the support team I'll just get the Medallions at the pier in January.

Maybe someday in the future they'll have the bugs worked out of the system. 

FWIW, I loaded the app on both of our Android phones and was to add all of the required info into both with no problems at all.

32 minutes ago, AZJerry said:

FWIW, I loaded the app on both of our Android phones and was to add all of the required info into both with no problems at all.

Interesting. What model phone do you have?

I've had problems loading their apps since the beginning of the Medallion system.

3 hours ago, AZJerry said:

Me too.  No issues.  We board in January so medallions yet.  But all else seems ready to go.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, vampiress said:

in cabo when i was in my room with cellular turned on, the wifi took precedent because it was a stronger signal, but when i moved to a place where wifi was less strong it would switch to cellular.  basically if you are on ship, the wifi is stronger so it will win unless you explicitly turn it off.  i had cellular coverage in mexico so i left both on and let which ever was stronger take precedence and it was seamless to me except when i was expressly watching to see which was being used.

I think I read that if you're connecting to internet for wi-fi-calling, you need to turn on airplane mode.  Airplane Mode shuts off cellular for talk/text.  I'm wondering how seamless automatic switching between wi-fi and cellular can happen in that case.

Maybe turn on Airplane Mode, turning off cellular, and then go back and turn on cellular...?  That way, both would run concurrently.  Is that how you had access to both?

6 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

I think I read that if you're connecting to internet for wi-fi-calling, you need to turn on airplane mode.  Airplane Mode shuts off cellular for talk/text.  I'm wondering how seamless automatic switching between wi-fi and cellular can happen in that case.

Maybe turn on Airplane Mode, turning off cellular, and then go back and turn on cellular...?  That way, both would run concurrently.  Is that how you had access to both?

i'm utterly confused by your question.

ship anchored near cabo, close enough to get cellular.  i just turned off airplane mode.  the phone would choose which signal was stronger, ship wifi or cellular.  if i wanted to force cellular i turned off wifi.

On all Android phones I've had, turning on airplane mode turns off all radios (cellular, wifi, bluetooth). You can then selectively turn on wifi and/or bluetooth. You would need to turn on wifi to make full use of the Medallion Class app on the ship. Using wifi by itself is free. If you need the actual internet, you require some sort of extra cost internet plan. I'm not sure about bluetooth but I don't think it's needed for the Medallion Class. 

As I understand it, ship cell systems are turned off while in port. That's what allows your phone to connect to the local port cellular. While underway, the ship's cell system is turned on. Since it's super expensive, it's best to keep cellular on your phone turned off while underway to avoid large shipboard cell system charges.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

For those with prior OM experience:  Do you still get the wallet sized accordion map of the ship that you used to get at check in along with the cruise card?

We did not on our cruise 2 weeks ago on the Caribbean Princess.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 5:43 AM, MissP22 said:

I'm beginning to think my phones are just to old to load there apps.

We have 2 Samsung's, S6 and S5. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, AZJerry said:

This is certainly a possibility. 

I called Princess yesterday & as it turns out my models are to old to set up for the Medallion app used to order them. The only option I have is to pick them up at the terminal. 

What had me going is that only a few weeks ago the app worked fine. (at least for 1 phone) :classic_unsure:

Not that it's a big thing since it didn't save much time except the stop at the counter to get them. 

We're certainly not going to update our phones just for that reason alone. :classic_laugh:

Edited by MissP22

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We're certainly not going to update our phones just for that reason alone. 

Ditto here.  Hubby's phone is a flip phone.  New, with international calling, but not very smart.  We won't change for a week-long cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Ditto here.  Hubby's phone is a flip phone.  New, with international calling, but not very smart.  We won't change for a week-long cruise.

I'm really surprised that they won't allow people to use the Princess web site to order the Medallions.

Not everyone has the latest model of smartphones.

On 11/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, SargassoPirate said:

If, when I was working, I had rolled out a project that worked this well, I would've been a mail room sorter so fast my head would've been spinning.

Truly.  I've done a few system conversions and managed new system projects.  Going live with even one of these issues would have threatened my career.  (This is way beyond, "It's not a bug; it's a feature", status.)

As time comes for us to sail on Feb. 1, I'll continue to check this thread.  I figure it'll be much calmer as time passes.  All the angst people are feeling has me convinced to go the old-fashioned way, i.e., print documents and show up.  It'll be fine in a while, I believe.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:43 AM, MissP22 said:

I'm beginning to think my phones are just to old to load there apps.

With so many cruisers unsure about device compatibility, I envision a new shop on board -- one that sells smart phones - LOL!  Maybe it would be something like Walmart's cellular area, carrying a few different providers' phones and plans.

• Haha 1