Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

2 minutes ago, cruiserdru said:

Thanks for the info, discouraging as it is. I don't sail until 9 August. Guess I have a lot more time to wait and need to adjust my expectations.

You are boarding as we are getting off. Give it a few weeks. It's not worth getting disappointed over.

I hope they use the tracking info wisely, such as to knowing which public bathrooms are seeing heavy traffic, or why a line is long. Hopefully they'll spot opportunities to throw more man-power where and when it's needed.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, CruiseVA said:

The App is a POS - buggy as all hell. Whatever team wrote it should be ashamed of themselves & Carnival/Princess should do a redo.

I can't agree more. Couldn't get my wife and my order on the same shipment and paid twice for shipping. Now I know accessories can be purchased on board, won't do that again. I'm a sail and sign in the wallet type, no lanyard wanted the clip thing and surprise birthday card for wife. 

UGH!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

You are boarding as we are getting off. Give it a few weeks. It's not worth getting disappointed over.

I hope they use the tracking info wisely, such as to knowing which public bathrooms are seeing heavy traffic, or why a line is long. Hopefully they'll spot opportunities to throw more man-power where and when it's needed.

Not gonna manage a few weeks. I fly out 3 weeks from now and so want to do (for those of us who remember this) the document/medallion dance to make it seem more real. I know we can pick up the medallions at the terminal but after all the pain and frustration I have gone through with this software...…….

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

I got all the stuff entered on the Ocean Ready app with no problem. Perhaps your trouble is an EBKAC (Error Between Keyboard and Chair) problem

LOL! The App is/was buggy. Seems to work now. All data is in it now. Having worked in IT for 40+ years I'm pretty familiar with that (I'm not ruling it  out though) 🙂

On 7/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, CruiseVA said:

The App is a POS - buggy as all hell. Whatever team wrote it should be ashamed of themselves & Carnival/Princess should do a redo. However, the tech behind the Medallion is solid, we use it at the College I work at . This isn't reflective of the apps, just that they run on solid tech.

Whaat aspects of the Medallion are used at your college? I'm guessing the door un-locking aspect for a start??

17 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I got all the stuff entered on the Ocean Ready app with no problem. Perhaps your trouble is an EBKAC (Error Between Keyboard and Chair) problem

Working in IT we had PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair ) and PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer), and, of course Eye Dee Ten Tee (IDIOT). Of course one couldn't enter those errors into the system. When I described an problem as a Layer 8 Network Issue only one person in the IT department (and none in my peer user group) even got what I meant. It was sad. Working with people who have never used any system other than point and click made it hard sometimes.

Edited by Thrak
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, OzPilot said:

Whaat aspects of the Medallion are used at your college? I'm guessing the door un-locking aspect for a start??

We use the tech that provides the basic infrastructure, not the Medallion. This is a not too technical mention of the tech and Carnival (and other companies). We run web servers, and the business software for registration, payroll, leave records, etc on it. It's fairly recent tech (maybe 6-7 years old), but, my team saw the value and bought in early. It has taken the Tech industry by storm!  Sometimes we "bet" on  something & lose, but, mostly we win 🙂 I'm at the end of my career, in the 40 years in IT, I've never seen a single thing take off so fast in my industry. I'm proud to have been part of implementing it here at the College, and, somewhat sad that I'll be leaving IT. Perhaps consulting will be happening in my next stage.

• Thanks 1

HAHAHA! Our Medallions were just delivered, I checked the Ocean Ready (POS) App and it says

"Your OceanMedallions and accessories will be available at your port of embarkation.
We are about 9 days out from our embarkation.  Worry not.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

HAHAHA! Our Medallions were just delivered, I checked the Ocean Ready (POS) App and it says

"Your OceanMedallions and accessories will be available at your port of embarkation.
We are about 9 days out from our embarkation.  Worry not.

We had the same experience 3 months ago & was hoping they’ve made some progress since then...not! 🙄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

One thing is clear from all of this. CCL still doesn't not have their $&#! together yet in regards to the OM.

Sign up has to be cleaned up, shipping terms need to be spelled out, and the apps need to reduced down to one.

At least they aren't sitting in an envelope outside your cabin in the mail holder for anyone to take like they do on all Carnival ships. You use the paper boarding pass to get on board and if your picture isn't on file they take it at document check before security. Then retake it since my wife failed to upload when they scan your boarding pass at the gangway and she wasn't the only one.

We are back from our Alaska trip (Royal Princess)...….the OCEAN MEDALLION  sucked!!!!!!!!!!!     Basically the only good thing it did was access to the cabin.   ALL the other apps were glitchy most of the time.  The "chat" between ship mates DID work, except there is no way to tell you even have a message unless you are holding your phone in your hand and looking at the screen.   It doesn't vibrate, or make a sound, or even tell you that you have a new message (yes we tried EVERY setting....sound on, sound off etc).

This is something Princess definitely needs to address.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KG2019 said:

We are back from our Alaska trip (Royal Princess)...….the OCEAN MEDALLION  sucked!!!!!!!!!!!     Basically the only good thing it did was access to the cabin.   ALL the other apps were glitchy most of the time.  The "chat" between ship mates DID work, except there is no way to tell you even have a message unless you are holding your phone in your hand and looking at the screen.   It doesn't vibrate, or make a sound, or even tell you that you have a new message (yes we tried EVERY setting....sound on, sound off etc).

This is something Princess definitely needs to address.

1 hour ago, paul929207 said:

The problem with chat has existed for a number of years. It is not a Medillion  problem.

I would rather put up with having to check for messages than have to hear a bazillion stupid phones going off to let folks know they have a message.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I would rather put up with having to check for messages than have to hear a bazillion stupid phones going off to let folks know they have a message.

Amen!

Is there a way to decline the lanyard? Edited to add: other than buying another accessory (buying 1st one with OBC on CB .... won't need 2 clips)

Edited by Ombud

On 7/13/2019 at 9:16 PM, tonit964 said:

My brother, dad and I are sailing on the Royal in October 2019. It is a medallion cruise, which is new to all three of us. 

My dad (88) does not have a smart phone nor does he want one. How will this work for him?

Can we use one of our smart phones to get his medallion ready or will he just have to use the cruise card as always?

I appreciate any help on this.

Toni

I was on Ruby Princess with Medallion net.  No need for a SmartPhone though it's a great convenience.  Your Dad would be wise to give it a try.  I'm sure he can learn to benefit from a SmartPhone.  At age 82 I'm not much younger than he is and continuing to learn keeps my brain elastic and resists the temptation to just drift into a hazy and comfortable dementia.  Tell him I suggest... recommend... and urge that he give a SmartPhone a chance for the simplest of purposes.  Keep it to one function at a time, starting with taking phone calls, and in no time at all, he'll wonder how he ever got along without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PacificJack said:

I was on Ruby Princess with Medallion net.  No need for a SmartPhone though it's a great convenience.  Your Dad would be wise to give it a try.  I'm sure he can learn to benefit from a SmartPhone.  At age 82 I'm not much younger than he is and continuing to learn keeps my brain elastic and resists the temptation to just drift into a hazy and comfortable dementia.  Tell him I suggest... recommend... and urge that he give a SmartPhone a chance for the simplest of purposes.  Keep it to one function at a time, starting with taking phone calls, and in no time at all, he'll wonder how he ever got along without it.

Thank you for your wise and thoughtful post. 😊

He keeps his mind sharp by doing crosswords and other thinking games on the computer. I will show him your post and see if that changes his mind to at least give it a try.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you for your wise and thoughtful post. 😊

He keeps his mind sharp by doing crosswords and other thinking games on the computer. I will show him your post and see if that changes his mind to at least give it a try.

I really don't see the need...….you can use the large tv like screens located throughout the ship, there is always one near the elevators, where you can use your medallion to do the same functions.