Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

Your welcome, I hope you like the Medallion it makes it really easy and fast getting on the ship. 
Enjoy your cruise. It’s not sir only, [emoji16]
Tony 

Hey tony

Since you used the app anything else you could recommend any pointers. How was ordering drinks from the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

This (above quote)! 

Some people aren't familiar with 'intranet'. It's the ship's wifi network that only allows passengers to access ship apps and information.  The third rep described in #992 was correct.

@DCcruiser @Adventures ahead There are two ways to enjoy MedallionNet during your voyage.

The first is using the ship's FREE internal WiFi network which you can use to download the MedallionClass app and access all the MedallionClass digital experiences ... no purchase required.

The second way is the MedallionNet internet package, which let's guests streams movies, sports, news, post to social media, check and send email, make WiFi phone call, and keep in touch with friends and family using video conferencing like FaceTime, What's App video and Viber. The MedallionNet internet package is available for purchase through Cruise Personalizer before you sail, as well as once you board the ship. 

On 8/31/2019 at 9:06 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I'm very leery of loading information into an app on any smartphone, and here's why.

""Using the implant, hackers could access Apple customers' data, including their passwords and personal contacts, as well as messages sent through iMessage, WhatsApp, Gmail and Google Hangouts, according to Project Zero researchers.

Almost every version of Apple's iPhone operating system — from iOS 10 through to the latest version of iOS 12 — was vulnerable, he said......"All that users can do is be conscious of the fact that mass exploitation still exists and behave accordingly; treating their mobile devices as both integral to their modern lives, yet also as devices which when compromised, can upload their every action into a database to potentially be used against them.""

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-iphone-hack-discovered-mass-ios-hacking-attack-sustained-over-at-least-two-years-2019-08-30/

Perhaps AskOceanMedallion can address the security of their apps and why it is OK to load your passport photo and other information into a smart phone - especially an iPhone.

@SargassoPirate Data security is of the utmost importance. The MedallionClass ecosystem meets or exceeds all Carnival Corporation security standards and uses a range methods of tokenization, abstraction and encryption to help ensure security. As for the passport scan, we use the same MRZ technology that all of the airlines use.  

Comfort levels vary across a wide spectrum, and that is why we continue to expand the ways guests can access the MedallionClass experiences to include more "closed devices" such as portals and stateroom TVs, so that each guest can choose the method they're most comfortable with.

1 hour ago, AskOceanMedallion said:

@SargassoPirate Data security is of the utmost importance. The MedallionClass ecosystem meets or exceeds all Carnival Corporation security standards and uses a range methods of tokenization, abstraction and encryption to help ensure security. As for the passport scan, we use the same MRZ technology that all of the airlines use.  

Comfort levels vary across a wide spectrum, and that is why we continue to expand the ways guests can access the MedallionClass experiences to include more "closed devices" such as portals and stateroom TVs, so that each guest can choose the method they're most comfortable with.

Thank you. It would be wise for be anyone taking a photo of their passport photo page to upload to the Medallion app to turn off their location settings, as well as for their avatar photos - unless the Medallion app automatically strips that data from the photos.

While it is true that Princess has a lot of your personal information in their "system" how much of that information is now  available to onboard crew via their tablets?  While we show our passports to board the old school way, the fact that a photo of my passport ID page is now in an app gives me pause.

Can you elaborate on what information is readily available to the crew via the Ocean Medallion app?

Sorry to be such a bother, but I have a lot of experience in the criminal justice system working with computer crimes.

4 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

Hey tony

Since you used the app anything else you could recommend any pointers. How was ordering drinks from the app.

Hi BCCRUSINGCOUPLE,

I never ordered a drink but my cousin did. I can’t stop laughing he ordered a drink for the Princess theater. It was waiting for him somewhere else. It happened at lest twice. So he stop and  waited until he got there.😁 to order a drink 🥃.

For the most part it works pretty good. I wish I could be of more help. Sorry 

8700B127-88AE-4687-B8A3-51812512F009.jpeg

Regarding the app and Princesses Intranet ......do you load the app at home prior to getting to the port?  Or do you have to be on the ship to use their intranet?

also, when you order the Medallion to be delivered to your home do you also order the necklace, bracelet etc at the same time.

I know I’m probably over thinking all this - but with adding all the security concerns- I think I’ll miss my sea pass card!!!

1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

Hello, I just booked my second Medallion Class cruise. It sounds like the medallion might have changed as some people say theirs is square and fits on a lanyard clip. Will the jewelry I bought to hold my (round) medallion still work?

The medallion is still round and the same size. It comes with a plastic holder that is rectangular with a round bubble to hold the medallion. The lanyard clips to the edge of the holder. Your jewelry will still work 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi BCCRUSINGCOUPLE,

I never ordered a drink but my cousin did. I can’t stop laughing he ordered a drink for the Princess theater. It was waiting for him somewhere else. It happened at lest twice. So he stop and  waited until he got there.😁 to order a drink 🥃.

For the most part it works pretty good. I wish I could be of more help. Sorry 

8700B127-88AE-4687-B8A3-51812512F009.jpeg

No worries all good my friend 

2 hours ago, Jules59 said:

How do I fit Jewelry to fit my Medallion? This will be my first one

You can buy it on board. I got a lovely bracelet and necklace and I also retrofitted a locket I bought at Micheal's to wear on formal night. One of the women at our table kept it in her bra by using a fit bit zip clip. I am buying one of those for my next cruise. They aren't very big and you don't need to see them to use them. My partner just kept it in a pocket the whole time. It was easier for me to have a bracelet because alas, I don't always have pockets. Here is an image someone took of what is available.CaribbeanPrincess_April2019_MedallionAcc

9 hours ago, dcruisers said:

Regarding the app and Princesses Intranet ......do you load the app at home prior to getting to the port?  Or do you have to be on the ship to use their intranet?

also, when you order the Medallion to be delivered to your home do you also order the necklace, bracelet etc at the same time.

I know I’m probably over thinking all this - but with adding all the security concerns- I think I’ll miss my sea pass card!!!

You can load the app before you are on board, but you do not have to. Our cruise is in 2 weeks (our first medallion cruise) so I loaded it and added all our info. I like being able to familiarize myself with it before I get on the ship. I don't want to "waste" a minute of cruising. 

You get a lanyard with your medallion, but the other accessories, if you want them, are  only available on the ship. 

Hope this helps!  Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

Hey tony

I can speak to ordering drinks.  As tony pointed out it would not work so well in a crowded space like the theater.  I used it for my free beverage in the pool area and it worked perfectly.  Saw the waitress load up the drink on a tray at the bar, followed her tablet to my general vicinity where she started looking around for my face.  Her tablet seemed to get her within 20 feet or so before she resorted to looking for me.  Definitely fine for the pool decks with people on loungers but would become a game of where's waldo in a crowded theater for sure.

9 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

You can buy it on board. I got a lovely bracelet and necklace and I also retrofitted a locket I bought at Micheal's to wear on formal night. One of the women at our table kept it in her bra by using a fit bit zip clip. I am buying one of those for my next cruise. They aren't very big and you don't need to see them to use them. My partner just kept it in a pocket the whole time. It was easier for me to have a bracelet because alas, I don't always have pockets. Here is an image someone took of what is available.CaribbeanPrincess_April2019_MedallionAcc

1 hour ago, PMGS247 said:

I can speak to ordering drinks.  As tony pointed out it would not work so well in a crowded space like the theater.  I used it for my free beverage in the pool area and it worked perfectly.  Saw the waitress load up the drink on a tray at the bar, followed her tablet to my general vicinity where she started looking around for my face.  Her tablet seemed to get her within 20 feet or so before she resorted to looking for me.  Definitely fine for the pool decks with people on loungers but would become a game of where's waldo in a crowded theater for sure.

Thank you! I was also wondering if they sold something  you could buy before you got on the ship.

I was wondering the same thing like a needle in the haystack to find someone in a theatre.

I too used my medallion for drinks at the pool.  It worked fine; and also worked well in club fusion and explorers lounge.  Used it in gift shop with no issues

So this is our first cruise with medallion you just go on the app and order the drink I take it you can see a list.

4 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

Jules59, I just called to verify. You can only purchase the official ones on board. I did buy a little locket bit at micheals that fit it. I think the Fitbit zip holder is magnificent. We are all getting one. 

That’s sounds like something I would prefer as well.

where would we purchase it?

4 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

Jules59, I just called to verify. You can only purchase the official ones on board. I did buy a little locket bit at micheals that fit it. I think the Fitbit zip holder is magnificent. We are all getting one. 

Is this what you are talking about? The medallion fits into it?

https://www.amazon.com/EverAct-Compatible-Holder-Replacement-Fitbit/dp/B01N1INYGG

On 9/4/2019 at 6:54 AM, Debbdo said:

You can load the app before you are on board, but you do not have to. Our cruise is in 2 weeks (our first medallion cruise) so I loaded it and added all our info. I like being able to familiarize myself with it before I get on the ship. I don't want to "waste" a minute of cruising. 

You get a lanyard with your medallion, but the other accessories, if you want them, are  only available on the ship. 

Hope this helps!  Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks again!