Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host CJSKIDS

Ocean Medallion Question Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, royalcruz said:

I just spent time setting up my app and ordered the medallions. However, I am not "OCEAN READY" because there is an exclamation point on the PIN code circle. I've set up the PIN code 20 times and it is always "completed" but then this happens. I give up. 

I had the same glitch an hour or so ago.   I had been fine, but it had that error and no matter what I did it had the exclamation point.  It's gone now.  Not sure what happened.  This is a glitchy app.  I'm hoping once on board it will be fine :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder that your security photo must be a pic w/o a hat. 🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Just a reminder that your security photo must be a pic w/o a hat. 🙂🙂

and it takes ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pamwigs said:

Just a reminder that your security photo must be a pic w/o a hat. 🙂🙂

Oh oh, my photo has a hat. I nearly always wear a hat outside as a sun block. I hate having to go back and TRY to replace it with something else since I have had so much difficulty finally getting everything done in the OR app. I've already printed every document I can think of that might be needed by Princess at check in. I am thinking about just sticking with my current photo....if they don't like it, they are welcome to take another. I went through a similar process with RCI last March; got our photos uploaded, but by the time we checked in about 2 month later they somehow lost most of the photos, and we had to had them there at check in. So I am reluctant to spend any more time on this.......

 

Remember in the old days when all we worried about was what to pack?🙄

 

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug, don't worry if you can't change your photo.   If you can and it works then good; however, when you arrive at the port; the ships security officers will let you know if the hat security photo will be ok.  They have ipads when you arrive; and will retake a security photo for you.  On my Feb cruise; quite a few people were having this done by the ships security team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, IrishLassie said:

Do they automatically send the Madallions out or do you have to request them?  I'm still so confused!  LOL

You do have to "request them".  Through the Medallion class app you can get "Ocean Ready" and fill out your info.  You do have to enter your passport information in both the cruise personalizer and on the app where you order your ocean medallion and accessories.  Some people get them at the pier.  Not sure if you still need to order them  if you pick up at the pier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jennybenny said:

Some people get them at the pier.  Not sure if you still need to order them  if you pick up at the pier.

 

No ordering necessary if you want to pick them up at the pier. You just check in as usual and they will hand you a Medallion instead of a cruise card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off the Royal and thought I would share my thoughts...

  • check your medallion.... I picked up mine at the port.  The staff gave me SOMEONE else's.  Security turned me back and get the right one.  Your name is printed in small print on the medallion rim.  Kinda hard to read for a senior.  The printed paper instructions were even smaller
  • why is my room unlocked when I get near the cabin?  I want to unlock the door when I get closer!  Some cruisers tell me they had a terrible time trying to figure how to lock the door when they left the cabin.
  • tried to order a drink.... does not work in Club 6.  Does not work in the theatre.  Bummer.
  • tracking a cabin mate?  The wifi is so overwhelmed.... the Compass feature only works half the time.  When it did work... it showed my buddy was in a neighbor's cabin.... huh?
  • yes it did speed up boarding and debarking
  • every time the elevator door closed, I kept seeing this propaganda about the medallion.  It felt like they were marketing the concept to millennials so they could do more texting and walking.  Please instead spend the money on better wifi so we can use the Medallion service better.
  • I wish the sport clip was free.  Why should I need to pay extra to not have something around my neck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, idahospud said:

 

No ordering necessary if you want to pick them up at the pier. You just check in as usual and they will hand you a Medallion instead of a cruise card.

They tell me a package is one it way for our next trip but my app only shows one of us. It doesn't appear that they'll be two medallions in the shipment.

Who knows? Maybe only one of us will get it via mail & the other will have to pick it up at the terminal.

Very confusing. :classic_wacko: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Oh oh, my photo has a hat. I nearly always wear a hat outside as a sun block. I hate having to go back and TRY to replace it with something else since I have had so much difficulty finally getting everything done in the OR app. I've already printed every document I can think of that might be needed by Princess at check in. I am thinking about just sticking with my current photo....if they don't like it, they are welcome to take another. I went through a similar process with RCI last March; got our photos uploaded, but by the time we checked in about 2 month later they somehow lost most of the photos, and we had to had them there at check in. So I am reluctant to spend any more time on this.......

 

Remember in the old days when all we worried about was what to pack?🙄

 

Doug

 

There are two different photos associated with the medallion.  Ship security takes an image on embarkation for their security database and uses it to face match you on leaving and returning to the ship.  That is different from the photo you upload, and can change, to self ID around the ship and which shows up on your name plate near the cabin door, your “avatar.”  My avatar is an image of my 4-month old English Springer Spaniel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

 

There are two different photos associated with the medallion.  Ship security takes an image on embarkation for their security database and uses it to face match you on leaving and returning to the ship.  That is different from the photo you upload, and can change, to self ID around the ship and which shows up on your name plate near the cabin door, your “avatar.”  My avatar is an image of my 4-month old English Springer Spaniel.

 

I'm certain they didn't take a photo of us on our recent Medallion cruise. Every time I saw an image on their screens and when I mucked around with the onboard screens near the stairwells, the photo that I took was shown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, leck57 said:

 

I'm certain they didn't take a photo of us on our recent Medallion cruise. Every time I saw an image on their screens and when I mucked around with the onboard screens near the stairwells, the photo that I took was shown.

it can work both ways ... on our OM cruise, with medallions in hand pre-cruise ... my pre-cruise security photo was accepted as submitted, while my wife had to have hers taken over on the ship ... twice, as I remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, but I think we're just going to request the good old cards! LOL  This would be to confusing for my DH! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify the security photo for the medallion and to get on and off ship.  The security photo must be a full frontal without hats or sunglasses.  If you arrive at the port and ship security determine your current security photo does meet their requirement; they will take a new photo with their ipads.  It is quick; but on my cruise numerous people had to have their photos taken by ship security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

To clarify the security photo for the medallion and to get on and off ship.  The security photo must be a full frontal without hats or sunglasses.  If you arrive at the port and ship security determine your current security photo does meet their requirement; they will take a new photo with their ipads.  It is quick; but on my cruise numerous people had to have their photos taken by ship security. 

They'll also use a previous photo at their discretion. They haven re-taken my picture on the last two boarding's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xlxo said:

 

  • why is my room unlocked when I get near the cabin?  I want to unlock the door when I get closer!  Some cruisers tell me they had a terrible time trying to figure how to lock the door when they left the cabin.

I got off the Royal last week.  I discovered that my medallion unlocked the room long before I got there.  My husband's unlocked right as we walked to the door (his was in a pocket and mine was around my neck in a lanyard).  If I held the medallion in my hand, it didn't read it as readily as if it was just hanging around my neck.  I've also read that as the batteries drain, the doors don't open as quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy if the door unlocked as I approached the area & not have to wave the medallion in front of the sensor for 5 or 6 seconds as it did on our last cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I have two 10 day cruises booked back to back, will I receive two Medallions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dutrie said:

If I have two 10 day cruises booked back to back, will I receive two Medallions?

Just one Medallion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'd be happy if the door unlocked as I approached the area & not have to wave the medallion in front of the sensor for 5 or 6 seconds as it did on our last cruise.

Did you ask a Navigator down at OceanFront about getting it to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, idahospud said:

Did you ask a Navigator down at OceanFront about getting it to work?

Oh it worked, just not a well a my husbands did. His would unlock the door from 2 cabins away & be opened when he reached the door knob. 

Mine wouldn't work until I was standing there for 5 seconds or so. Sometimes I would have to actually touch the medallion to the sensor to trigger it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, idahospud said:

Just one Medallion.

With the original embarkation date only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Oh it worked, just not a well a my husbands did. His would unlock the door from 2 cabins away & be opened when he reached the door knob. ..

 

When you said "be opened" did you mean the cabin door was actually wide open? I thought the medallions only unlocked the doors and we still had to turn the knob to open the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

 

When you said "be opened" did you mean the cabin door was actually wide open? I thought the medallions only unlocked the doors and we still had to turn the knob to open the door.

Sorry about that terminology. I meant to say unlocked so the handle could be turned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...