Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

Okay...I'm booked, paid in full, downloaded OceanReady, filled in info on website in Cruise Personalizer, went through all steps in OceanReady, ordered my medallions--which it says should be sent out around December 21...For my January 4 cruise on Royal Princess...

BUT, this will be my first Medallion cruise...so, I'm still not sure I've gotten everything straight...

I started reading this thread and have gotten through the first 20+ pages...But it seems like a lot of that might be antiquated stuff...people complaining about bugs on the roll-out, etc.

So, I skipped to the last 4 or 5 pages...but it's hard to follow...And I just don't have the patience to read through another 30 or so pages of this...

SO...Can anyone summarize the up-to-date status?

AS OF NOW...What other apps do I need to download to do things like order drinks and find my wife?

I am assuming I still get lanyards with the medallions and, if I really want to buy a clip or wristband, best to just wait until while I'm on the ship?

If I'm sitting at a bar on the Royal Princess and order a drink with an app is the first one still free?  And will they be able to actually find me to deliver it?

Where will I look to find a daily schedule?  Will there still be a printed "Patter"?

What will I need to present at check-in?

My Medallion will key them in that I'm Platinum Captain's Circle, but the surrounding background on the lanyard will still be blue...unless I buy one that says "Platinum" so I can look like a snob...or can we all just buy the ones that say "Elite"?

Will my cabin door lock itself when I leave...or will my Medallion passing through just unlock it?

When I get on and off the ship in port, do I have to hold my Medallion up to a sensor?  Is that really better than holding my cruise card up to a sensor?

When you go through the metal detectors, do you have to remove your Medallion each time lest it makes the sensor go off?

Anything else I really need to know before I go on this cruise?

Thanks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...I'm booked, paid in full, downloaded OceanReady, filled in info on website in Cruise Personalizer, went through all steps in OceanReady, ordered my medallions--which it says should be sent out around December 21...For my January 4 cruise on Royal Princess...

BUT, this will be my first Medallion cruise...so, I'm still not sure I've gotten everything straight...

I started reading this thread and have gotten through the first 20+ pages...But it seems like a lot of that might be antiquated stuff...people complaining about bugs on the roll-out, etc.

So, I skipped to the last 4 or 5 pages...but it's hard to follow...And I just don't have the patience to read through another 30 or so pages of this...

SO...Can anyone summarize the up-to-date status?

AS OF NOW...What other apps do I need to download to do things like order drinks and find my wife?

I am assuming I still get lanyards with the medallions and, if I really want to buy a clip or wristband, best to just wait until while I'm on the ship?

If I'm sitting at a bar on the Royal Princess and order a drink with an app is the first one still free?  And will they be able to actually find me to deliver it?

Where will I look to find a daily schedule?  Will there still be a printed "Patter"?

What will I need to present at check-in?

My Medallion will key them in that I'm Platinum Captain's Circle, but the surrounding background on the lanyard will still be blue...unless I buy one that says "Platinum" so I can look like a snob...or can we all just buy the ones that say "Elite"?

Will my cabin door lock itself when I leave...or will my Medallion passing through just unlock it?

When I get on and off the ship in port, do I have to hold my Medallion up to a sensor?  Is that really better than holding my cruise card up to a sensor?

When you go through the metal detectors, do you have to remove your Medallion each time lest it makes the sensor go off?

Anything else I really need to know before I go on this cruise?

Thanks...

If you downloaded the medallionclass act; this app has access to all the other apps.  Ocean now allows you to order food and drink.  Ocean Compass allows you to track your shipmates and explore whats happening around the ship. When you order a drink using the ocean now app; the bartender or waitstaff has their ipad;  your pictures pops up and they find you from your picture.  Yes you will still have printed patter in your cabin. The ships digital boards which are located by all the elevators will also let you know what's happening around the ship. You will hold your medallion on a sensor;; much the same as with cruise card.  

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The app has glitches.  You can get ocean ready with two green checkmarks and a barcode.  Next day you open app and it says incomplete without green checkmarks.  Suggest that if you do get ocean ready with green checkmarks; you take a screen shot of the barcode and checkmarks;  that is what I did and used the screen shot at the port

Me too. Finally got the blinkin' thing to work correctly, took screen shots of everything that looked important, printed off all my boarding documents, etc. So I THINK I am ready for just about anything.......I know one thing; I have not tried the OR app since then, and I do not intend to open it unless someone forces me to at the ship check in!:classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

If you downloaded the medallionclass act; this app has access to all the other apps.  Ocean now allows you to order food and drink.  Ocean Compass allows you to track your shipmates and explore whats happening around the ship. When you order a drink using the ocean now app; the bartender or waitstaff has their ipad;  your pictures pops up and they find you from your picture.  Yes you will still have printed patter in your cabin. The ships digital boards which are located by all the elevators will also let you know what's happening around the ship. You will hold your medallion on a sensor;; much the same as with cruise card.  

Only shortcoming is shipboard account is not available.  While onboard, must go to shipname.princess.com   (where ship name is the ship you are on) to see daily itemized bill.  Also, same site has a better Princess Patter then the medallion app.  Hopefully intime, improvements will come.  Overall, a big improvement.

32 minutes ago, mrsihopes said:

One quick question can we just bring out boarding passes to the terminal and check in the old fashioned way and not fill out all of the medallion information just the cruise personalizer?

You don't have to do any of the online Medallion stuff if you don't want to mess with it. Bring your regular boarding pass and they will take care of things at the terminal. You can even opt out of the Medallion completely if you so desire. Passenger Services can issue you a Cruise Card instead. (You will probably have to get a Medallion when boarding but you can get a card once you have boarded.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

When I got my lanyard and received the blue insert with my correct color medallion, I used the blue insert as a template and created my own insert.  You could even not use an insert in the plastic holder.  I did buy the clip and used it almost all the time. I like the clip the best.

5 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

When I got my lanyard and received the blue insert with my correct color medallion, I used the blue insert as a template and created my own insert.  You could even not use an insert in the plastic holder.  I did buy the clip and used it almost all the time. I like the clip the best.

I bought some replacement inserts. They were only $2 or $3 each.

1041755431_2019-10-0902_14_01.thumb.jpg.7d83f06e2d888e0d999d682c1b54258e.jpg

46112439_2019-10-0902_14_49.thumb.jpg.b01e17b721a6820ff02a800cc9bcbeb4.jpg

Edited by drpack

15 hours ago, drpack said:

After this cruise in Nov, I will have an even dozen Medallions...

You obviously cruise more often than we do and started before we did. Our first cruise wasn't until 2011. After our upcoming  cruises in October and November we will only have a total of 14 cruises - none of them Medallion class. We will finally have a black card in the collection though as number 14 in November will be as Elite. Our last cruise as Platinum ends on Halloween. Trick or Treat!

Edited by Thrak

44 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You obviously cruise more often than we do and started before we did. Our first cruise wasn't until 2011. After our upcoming  cruises in October and November we will only have a total of 14 cruises - none of them Medallion class. We will finally have a black card in the collection though as number 14 in November will be as Elite. Our last cruise as Platinum ends on Halloween. Trick or Treat!

You have more cruises on Princess than I do. It just happened that we were on cruises that were Medallion. We were on one of the 1st Medallion test cruises on the Regal. We just happen to be in a cabin that they had already installed it in. My cruise card had Test Pilot printed on it. It was great because they gave us free WiFi and some OBC as well.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

We fly up to Vancouver on the 31st and embark on the Star on the 1st of November. That will be our last cruise as Platinum and we’ll be Elite when we disembark on the 4th. There is just enough time to drive home, call Princess to change our status for the MedallionClass™ sailing on the Royal and then pop online and order the medallions for that cruise and hopefully still have them show up in time for that cruise.

10 hours ago, polmcs said:

We fly up to Vancouver on the 31st and embark on the Star on the 1st of November. That will be our last cruise as Platinum and we’ll be Elite when we disembark on the 4th. There is just enough time to drive home, call Princess to change our status for the MedallionClass™ sailing on the Royal and then pop online and order the medallions for that cruise and hopefully still have them show up in time for that cruise.

Since you surely know, what's the point at which we go from Platinum to Elite, and what are the major perks we can expect? I know that's listed at Princess.com, but I figure you probably have that info on your finger tips.

Congrats on the upgrade; we are are 85 Princess cruise days now but we have another 30 cruise days scheduled. We've been cruising since 1989, but have always "played" the field and not stuck with Princess. I have not looked at the Loyalty benefits for some time.

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Since you surely know, what's the point at which we go from Platinum to Elite, and what are the major perks we can expect? I know that's listed at Princess.com, but I figure you probably have that info on your finger tips.

Congrats on the upgrade; we are are 85 Princess cruise days now but we have another 30 cruise days scheduled. We've been cruising since 1989, but have always "played" the field and not stuck with Princess. I have not looked at the Loyalty benefits for some time.

mini-bar

free laundry

1 day earlier booking when new ships come out ?

I have read all 52 pages of this thread and didn't see this question posed.   I am blessed to be on 3 cruises next year.

A.  Hawaii on the Grand in April - won't go Medallion until 1 MONTH before sailing

B.  Alaska on Emerald in August - won't go Medallion until 1 WEEK before sailing

C. New England/Canada on Caribbean in October - already Medallion

I have downloaded Medallion app.   Only cruise C is listed (and it is a year away) and it won't let me add A or B -  I assume because they aren't Medallion yet?    

Especially for B, if it only goes Medallion 1 WEEK before sailing and thus I am inferring it won't show up on the Medallion app until then:

- How do I order my cruise Medallion if the ship isn't listed on the app until 1 week before cruising?  

- Or does everyone on the ship just have to get one when they get to embarkation because there wasn't enough time to order it?    Thanks for any insight.

I've been following this thread since pretty close to the beginning.  I haven't seen the answer to my question although I could have missed it.  There's a lot of information here!  

Early on, I downloaded to my phone the original five apps for Medallion class.  They bogged my phone down so badly and my cruise was still so far away on the calendar that I uninstalled them.  When the single Medallion Class app became available, I downloaded that instead.  Seems like it's complete but I've seen some references in this thread about the Medallion Class app accessing the other five apps.  Do I need those other apps?  Or is everything I need in the Medallion Class app?  I've completed my info and have my medallions on order for our January cruise.  Just wondering if I'll be missing some functions by not having the other apps installed as well.  

13 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

In addition to the perks already mentioned, Elite also gives priority when tendering, or water taxiing! 😉

14 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

image.png.37f05523d3013412a1b4c956c24bfaec.png

Your 17th cruise is Elite or your first cruise after the cruise where you pass 151 days. You can't change status during a cruise.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

image.png.37f05523d3013412a1b4c956c24bfaec.png

Your 17th cruise is Elite or your first cruise after the cruise where you pass 151 days. You can't change status during a cruise.

17th ? ... pretty sure you are at the highest level beginning with your 16th

Hello.  We board the Sky Princess on Dec 14th.  I am on the App trying to order our Medallions.  I have put in my email address and my booking number.  It is telling me that they have no record of me.  The Princess website is currently down.  Should I contact my Princess travel agent?  Could the fact that the website is down be the reason why the Medallion App can't find me?

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, Denali2003 said:

Hello.  We board the Sky Princess on Dec 14th.  I am on the App trying to order our Medallions.  I have put in my email address and my booking number.  It is telling me that they have no record of me.  The Princess website is currently down.  Should I contact my Princess travel agent?  Could the fact that the website is down be the reason why the Medallion App can't find me?

Thank you for your help.

You will not be able to access your SKY cruise until the ship goes live.  The ship is not officially in Princess inventory as far as the app is concerned.  Yes you can access things for your cruise on their website; but the ocean ready or medallion class app won't have access to Sky until 20 Oct.  This info was told to me by Princess medallion IT dept.  If for some reason you open the medallion class app tomorrow and your cruise shows up; then all the better.  I sail Oct 2020 on Sky and my medallion class app just showed my cruise countdown today 11 Oct 2019

Edited by AF-1