Major Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

dkjretired

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

From what I have read they removed the artifacts and all have been saved.

Stained glass rose windows were still in, wooden carvings in, plaster work, medieval tiled flooring....So many artefacts are fixtures and fittings. 

Anything that has been saved is a bonus but so much will be gone....

There has been a spate of attacks on Catholic churches in France since the start of the year. On Sunday last L’église Saint-Sulpice in the centre of Paris was badly damaged in an arson attack. Last Friday Ines Madani, 22, was sentenced following a three-day trial during which she was accused of encouraging would-be jihadists to go to Syria and participate in attacks against France and jailed for 8 years. She is also due to be tried later this year for her part in a failed car bomb attack on Notre Dame three years ago. The fire has happened in Holy Week and with the total destruction of the roof one wonders if the true cause will ever be established. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but not a huge believer in coincidence either.

As I understand it, the Cathedral has been under renovation for some time.  Authorities will, of course, be investigating, but I haven't seen any reputable sources indicating they suspect more than an accident due to the renovation work.  

Accusing without proof isn't very nice in my book.

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

As I understand it, the Cathedral has been under renovation for some time.  Authorities will, of course, be investigating, but I haven't seen any reputable sources indicating they suspect more than an accident due to the renovation work.  

Accusing without proof isn't very nice in my book.

French authorities were describing it as an accident while it was still burning.  

Ridiculous.  

Even a simple house fire with no injuries would result in days or weeks of investigation from the Fire Dept, insurance adjusters etc.  In fact, something that looks like an accident is frequently even more suspicious.  If French officials were trying to ‘get out in front’ of it to quell conspiracy theories, they accomplished the exact opposite.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, medtech71 said:

Based on what, exactly?  The fire isn’t even out, but you’ve determined the cause?  

The have been numerous attacks on churches in France this year - including arson.

Exactly what "mom says" is what I based my comment.  None of us really know for sure, but you do not need to be so critical about what was said by their fire marshal who thought that might be the cause.  Yes, I am well aware of those arsen attacks, but did not just assume that was the cause, even though it is possible. This is a terrible tragedy no matter how it happened; I am happy that so much money is pouing in for the restoration, and I feel sadness for the people of Paris, the country of France and the world...the real cause will be determined and the rebuilding begun, IMHO.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, medtech71 said:

French authorities were describing it as an accident while it was still burning.  

Ridiculous.  

Even a simple house fire with no injuries would result in days or weeks of investigation from the Fire Dept, insurance adjusters etc.  In fact, something that looks like an accident is frequently even more suspicious.  If French officials were trying to ‘get out in front’ of it to quell conspiracy theories, they accomplished the exact opposite.

True!    We were in the process of moving out of a rental house when the house caught on fire while we were away at our new house.  Turned out it was arson.  I can't go into detail, but it took the investigators weeks to interview many people, including us, the movers, a carpet cleaner, neighbors, the owner of the house, another guy that had a lease on the house and was renting to us...and even our children (one who had arrived home from summer camp a few hours AFTER the fire!)   

So unless there were witnesses to an accident that started the ND fire it could/should take weeks to investigate!    Could already have been reported on the news.  I have not read any news about the fire today.

DH and I feel fortunate to have seen Notre Dame Cathedral twice within a few recent years.  I cried when hearing on the fire. 😯 

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

It's devastating, but I admire the fact that they are already talking of rebuilding.  A few photos from back in Christmas 2013.DSCN2170.thumb.jpeg.06bb13a1b004cf9862bc71703f2aaad8.jpegDSCN2162.thumb.jpeg.b348e037f37a94646424a15375ecf68a.jpeg

DSCN2149.jpeg

DSCN2166.jpeg

DSCN2137.jpg

Beautiful photos and memories! Hopefully you will get to see it in all it’s glory when it is rebuild as President Marcon promises in 5 years.

20 hours ago, chemmo said:

Stained glass rose windows were still in, wooden carvings in, plaster work, medieval tiled flooring....So many artefacts are fixtures and fittings. 

Anything that has been saved is a bonus but so much will be gone....

The rose windows were saved as well which is fantastic news.

• Thanks 1

For those of you who will be celebrating Easter with us this weekend this is a picture that has been all over the news in the UK. It is the inside of the cathedral after the fire.

I find it very touching

Arch2O-photos-from-inside-Notre-Dame-After-Fire-01.jpg

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, dkjretired said:

Here's an FYI that's a bit weird, yesterday April 15 of course is tax day in the US and Notre Dame burned down.  Also, the Titanic sank on April 15 and Abraham Lincoln died on April 15.  Not a lucky day in history. 

Add this https://www.archdaily.com/915316/jerusalems-al-aqsa-mosque-catches-fire-during-notre-dame-blaze