Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
brookeq

Our Carnival Magic Spring Break Review

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

Hey homies, tea time around here in the Burgh is a cold iron and a Primanti's haha! Thanks for the review, I hail from Beaver County, but am a Yinzer through and through. We got an upcoming in August on the Sunshine. Our last was the Pride out of Dirty Bird town, Baltimore. There were still a lot of Steeler jerseys, mine included. Everyone was good natured about it and some of my best acquaintances were Raven fans. Great cruise, that one. Talk atcha later n'at.

 

We usually travel in the winter and always wear our Steeler jerseys in the airport.   I am not sure why we didn't wear our Pens gear this time.  Oops.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, brookeq said:

It was.  I never had any interest in Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman.   I would hate that.   This was perfect.  They were friendly and would swim up to you  But if you were noisy or panicky they swam away.  So you didn't have to be near them if you didn't want to be.   

I found a private excursion in Grand Caymen that takes you to Sting Ray City.  We only have 4 of us and it is $500 for the boat but I am hoping to have an awesome experience like you did in Cozumel.  I also have had not desire to see the sting ray's but others do so I am going.  My sister experienced a sting ray barb in the Keys.  It was very rough that day and she was wading out into the water.  She stepped on it and the barb got her in the ankle.  It was very bad because it got infected and she spend 10 days in hospital on antibiotics.  They say you should shuffle your feet when walking out into the water because they like to lay on bottom and cover themselves with sand.  The Australian Steve was swimming and the barb got him in the chest.  I chose the small excursion because I don't want to be with 50 of my closest friends in the water with them. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JaniceB said:

I found a private excursion in Grand Caymen that takes you to Sting Ray City.  We only have 4 of us and it is $500 for the boat but I am hoping to have an awesome experience like you did in Cozumel.  I also have had not desire to see the sting ray's but others do so I am going.  My sister experienced a sting ray barb in the Keys.  It was very rough that day and she was wading out into the water.  She stepped on it and the barb got her in the ankle.  It was very bad because it got infected and she spend 10 days in hospital on antibiotics.  They say you should shuffle your feet when walking out into the water because they like to lay on bottom and cover themselves with sand.  The Australian Steve was swimming and the barb got him in the chest.  I chose the small excursion because I don't want to be with 50 of my closest friends in the water with them. 🙂

I  agree.  All those people and all of those sting rays freak me out!   I like that there were only a couple of them..   If they came nearby I swam.  No standing.  i didn't like them at my feet.   🙂


I hope you have a great time on your trip.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brookeq said:

We usually travel in the winter and always wear our Steeler jerseys in the airport.   

 

Is this done to garner sympathy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, brookeq said:

Hi Everyone.  We are finally settled back into our normal routine after our week cruise on the Carnival Magic...

 

 

Thank you for the great review.  we are on Magic January of 2020.  Different itinerary but loved learning more about the ship.

 

 

 

Edited by CruiseJB
spellinh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVED your review! And can relate with so much with having two kids as well. Thank you for taking the time to post it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shamrock73 said:

 

Is this done to garner sympathy?

Ha  nope.  But it isn't as fun to wear them now when we aren't doing as good.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting off the ship:

 

Getting of the ship wasn't the greatest.   We got our luggage tags the night before on deck 5.   We were zone 3 or 4 I can't remember.   

 

We went to the dining room for breakfast.   We were not in a rush since we had a late flight home.   I know I had the avocado toast.   It was good.  Mike and Amelia had the pancakes.  

 

After dinner we met up with my MIL and her friend. and one SIL  Our other SIL was doing self assist.  They had to get to Orlando for their flight.

 

They kept announcing that the line was cut off and no one should come down.  I don't know what was going on but they kept announcing this.   We sat for a long time.  Hayden and the cousins played some cards and shuffleboard in the pub.  The area was pretty full.

 

2019-04-07_09-59-23_156.jpg

 

Finally they called down are zone and we headed down.   It didn't take very long once we got our luggage.  But overall this was the longest it took to get off the ship.  And that includes being in the last groups called.  

 

We rented a car from the enterprise at the miami airport.  I will never rent from the cruise rental car companies.  They run out of cars constantly and the line can take hours.   So we had to get an Uber.   That was quick.   

 

While waiting for our car at the airport we talked to my SIL who was on the way to Orlando.   She was in line to get off the ship with self assist as early as possible.  She said it was ridiculous there were only 2 customs agents to let people off the ship so it was taking forever.   

 

We got our rental car.  So did MIL and SIL.  We decided to meet up at Hollywood Beach and just walk around and have lunch. 

 

We ate at pizza place.  The pizza was huge.   

 

2019-04-07_13-13-37_135.jpg

 

We walked around and got ice cream.  None of the shops were that interesting and they were spread out   My mother in law got bored and just left when we were in a store.  Didn't even say goodbye to us.  Took her car went to the airport (different from us) and was gone.  I do not have the best relationship with her.  She doesn't make any effort with my kids.  But I never say anything.  But to not say goodbye to my kids or her own son when you wont see them for a year was just rude.     

 

My SIL had an earlier flight that us so we DID say goodbye to them.

 

We stayed a bit longer.  FLL airport is not my favorite.  We rented bikes for an hour. 

My son wanted one of these. 

 

2019-04-07_15-36-54_969.jpg

 

The rest of us rode around on this.

 

2019-04-07_15-26-29_872.jpg

 

We checked out the beach.  After the beaches in the Caribbean this one seemed blah.  We are so spoiled. 

 

2019-04-07_16-01-59_118.jpg

 

Finally we headed to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.  I hate the southwest wing.  There is nothing to eat there for our family.  JUst an expensive hamburger place and a mexican restaraunt with terrible service.   But we made do.  

 

The flight home was not fun.  My son didn't do any of his homework and now was mad he had to do it on the flight. 

 

2019-04-07_23-03-12_013.jpg

 

He cried and was miserable.   

 

2019-04-07_20-03-42_783.jpg

 

Amelia thankfully slept  

 

WE didn't get home until after midnight.  The kids had to go to school the next day because they have already been written up for too many days missed. (we had an out of town funeral and the flu this year.. bad year).  And we both had to go to work so we couldn't even take them in late.   

 

So it was a rough way to get back to reality.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, brookeq said:

Ha  nope.  But it isn't as fun to wear them now when we aren't doing as good.   

 

I am always wearing my Patriot's gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, brookeq said:

WE didn't get home until after midnight.  The kids had to go to school the next day because they have already been written up for too many days missed. (we had an out of town funeral and the flu this year.. bad year).  And we both had to go to work so we couldn't even take them in late.   

 

So it was a rough way to get back to reality.   

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I hope everything improves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the fun times and kids clubs schedule I will try to get them on here soon.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your review was very good.  Thanks for posting it and all of the pictures.  I am sorry the trip home wasn't pleasant.  It looks like your family really enjoyed the  cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it together.  We are cruising Fathers Day on the Magic and it can't come soon enough.  Hope you decide to book another cruise so I can follow along again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amyjoy202697 said:

This was a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it together.  We are cruising Fathers Day on the Magic and it can't come soon enough.  Hope you decide to book another cruise so I can follow along again!

Thanks. I  keep trying to plan a girls only cruise with my sisters and mom.  But so far only my mom has committed.  Have fun on your cruise!

Edited by brookeq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved this review. I especially liked that you included pictures. Refreshing to read that other families have the same struggles.

Thank you for taking time to record the events you participated in. I know it takes time to do that and it's tempting to just have fun not take time to write stuff down.

We're sailing on the Magic in January 2020 in a cove balcony. I'm stoked already lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1lizette1 said:

I loved this review. I especially liked that you included pictures. Refreshing to read that other families have the same struggles.

Thank you for taking time to record the events you participated in. I know it takes time to do that and it's tempting to just have fun not take time to write stuff down.

We're sailing on the Magic in January 2020 in a cove balcony. I'm stoked already lol

Thanks.  I actually really enjoyed writing this review.  It helped take away the post cruise blues. 

 

I have never done a cove balcony.  They look nice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great review!!

 

how much was the fishing with Pedro?  I don't do facebook..what is the best way for me to reach him?

 

also, how big was the boat? how many people can board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed your review and the pictures.  177 days until I am on the Magic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, Shamrock73 said:

 

Is this done to garner sympathy?

😆

 

As a Jag fan I do it. 🙂

 

To the OP, thanks for the review, less than a month out for us. Do you happen to know who the waiters were @ Alchemy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

great review!!

 

how much was the fishing with Pedro?  I don't do facebook..what is the best way for me to reach him?

 

also, how big was the boat? how many people can board?

The boat we were on could probably hold one more  person comfortably.  So maybe like 5 people.    He has a bigger boat also for money but not sure how many that can hold.  Our cost was $375 for the whole day.   I am not sure how else to contact them.   He has a phone number but no email.   

Edited by brookeq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

😆

 

As a Jag fan I do it. 🙂

 

To the OP, thanks for the review, less than a month out for us. Do you happen to know who the waiters were @ Alchemy?

There was a guy and a girl but I don't remember.  sorry.  I didn't get down there as much as I would have liked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...