Transportation questions

Giantfan13

We are flying into Anchorage, last week in August. We are booked on an NCL cruise Sept 2 southbound Seward to Vancouver.

We plan on renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Denali.

My questions

Is it best to rent a car right at the airport, or might it be cheaper in town. 

Is there a preferred rental place that some would use and does anyone have any codes for discounts on a rental?

We plan on getting to Seward a day early. From Anchorage, what are our options to get to Seward?. Private car or taxi are just a bit too expensive. Is there a train or bus we can sue and if so, where can we find a timetable?

Appreciate any help with these questions. 

Cheers

Len

Prices fluctuate greatly, so you'll need to do your homework and find the best rate.  

You're a little late to catch a great deal.   I always rent in July/Aug of the previous yr and have gotten super rates at the Enterprise office on Intl Airport Rd, but on some dates it's cheaper to rent at the airport.  Depends on the company's inventory, so you have to check all the options.

Most companies don't have a cancellation fee, so rent at the best rate you can find NOW, then check FREQUENTLY for a better deal (up until the day you leave).   Good luck.

If you happen to work for a company that has a contract rate with one of the rental car companies you may be able to take advantage of it.  My company has a contract rate that I've used on trips to Alaska where I have rented in Anchorage and Fairbanks.  Even during peak tourist season it's about HALF the normal rack rate plus I get the optional/extra insurances and additional drivers at no charge.  It's a substantial savings.  During your actual road trip don't underestimate travel times - I generally allow about twice the time that would seem reasonable.  The highways once outside of the more populated areas are two lane and a small snafu (wreck, road construction, etc.) could delay you.  There is also plenty to see so you may want to stop to investigate or take pictures.  You're going to have a great time!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

I found the best reviews for Enterprise and also the best prices. We rented from Enterprise in January and just cancelled and rented again a few weeks ago - went from $415 to $248. The rental price for the 8 days just dropped another $20 a couple of days ago. When we take the rent car back to Anchorage airport, we're taking Alaska Cruise Transportation - A.C.T. Big Bus to Seward cruise terminal - $124.12 for the two of us - narrated direct transfer. Picking us up at the luggage claim at 11am to Seward cruise terminal at 1:30pm. We are also renting from Enterprise at the Vancouver airport offsite location to drive to Seattle. RCI is providing a transfer from the pier to the airport and then Enterprise is doing the shuttle to the offsite location a few miles away. Rental to Seattle was 127CAD (~$100US). Digging all this info out is a study in terror because there are so many options.

Giantfan:  There is no commercial air service from Anchorage to Seward.  Your options are one way car rental (Hertz is the only Seward vendor) with a hefty one-way drop off fee, the Alaska Railroad or one of the various motor coach transfer companies.  The drive from Anchorage to Seward, assuming no delays for road construction, takes about 2.5 hours.  The Alaska Railroad takes about 4 hours.

Thanks for all the great advice. I know it's a bit late, but you've got to do what you got to do, when you can.

Can some one recommend a bus company that goes from Anchorage to Seward. I googled it and only one came up, which leaves Anchorage late afternoon and arrives after our ship has sailed. Are there other options by bus/shuttle?

Cheers

Len

I mentioned in post #4  we're taking Alaska Cruise Transportation - A.C.T. Big Bus. 11am pickup at the airport to Seward cruise terminal by 1:30pm. On their web page, I do not see the 11am pick up anymore. But a schedule is at https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/

They may already have a filled bus. You might give them a call. 907-350-6010

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/

Edited by masterdrago

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, Giantfan13 said:

We are flying into Anchorage, last week in August. We are booked on an NCL cruise Sept 2 southbound Seward to Vancouver.

We plan on renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Denali.

My questions

Is it best to rent a car right at the airport, or might it be cheaper in town. 

Is there a preferred rental place that some would use and does anyone have any codes for discounts on a rental?

We plan on getting to Seward a day early. From Anchorage, what are our options to get to Seward?. Private car or taxi are just a bit too expensive. Is there a train or bus we can sue and if so, where can we find a timetable?

Appreciate any help with these questions. 

Cheers

Len

Join the Roll Call for this cruise LINK: