Suitability Aft Cabin New England Canada Cruise

Sailnsurf

I am thinking of booking an aft cabin for a New York to Quebec  cruise on the Zuiderdam in late September 2020 and would welcome guidance about the suitability of an aft cabin particularly having regard to sea conditions. We had a marvelous Mediterranean cruise in an aft cabin on the Noordam  but never experienced much of a swell. On the other hand we did a North Pacific crossing on the Vollendam from Japan to Alaska when walking the promenade deck alternated from up to down hill as we cut through the swell. Fortunately we were in a mid ship cabin. I don't think an aft cabin would have been comfortable in those conditions. I would love to hear views of those who have done a New England Canada cruise.

The seas are going to be what they are. They might be calm, they might be rough. Most likely that they will be somewhere in between. If you have issues with sea sickness, you need to be prepared for it every day you are on a cruise. 

What is the point of going on a cruise only for calm seas? Might as well stay in a hotel. 

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The seas are going to be what they are. They might be calm, they might be rough. Most likely that they will be somewhere in between. If you have issues with sea sickness, you need to be prepared for it every day you are on a cruise. 

What is the point of going on a cruise only for calm seas? Might as well stay in a hotel. 

Well thanks for your help!!

Different sea conditions can be expected in different locations. I was happy to have an aft cabin in the Med but thought it better to select a midship cabin for a North Pacific crossing. That proved a wise decision.

Incidentally, I have never been sea sick but my wife is sensitive to motion so I would not choose an aft cabin if  significant swells are likely to be experienced. Short rough seas are not likely to be a problem thanks to modern stabilisers.

I do not know what conditions are likely on the US East coast North of New York in the Fall ( I am from Australia) . I would assume that the St Lawrence would be perfect for an aft cabin but would appreciate any guidance which others can give based on their experience.  

I understand what you are asking, OP, and for what’s it’s worth, we did that itinerary last September.  (Link to Thread)

The East Coast is prone to Fall storms.  Both my parents and I have each experienced a hurricane as part of the journey.  Their sailing was delayed (Cunard TA) and we kept just in front of one but the remnants did catch up to us in Saguenay, QC.  We also hit a rough patch  coming out of Sydney, NS.  Probably the worst conditions I have ever seen were crossing the Bay of Biscay in December so it was not as bad as that.

I know you understand that we can’t foretell the future but I think an aft cabin would be fine.  If you are doing Saguenay then I think an aft cabin would be amazing.  Have a wonderful trip!  We enjoyed it so much we are doing it again.

• Like 1

I've done this itinerary several times, at least once in an aft cabin and not had problems with motion. The only bad weather I can remember was when we were on Maasdam, heading south. The wind was so strong against our side of the ship one day that I couldn't open the balcony door! But even with that, the ride wasn't bad, and we were pretty far forward. 

And remember, you'll be in the St Lawrence for part of the cruise and that will definitely be smooth. 

Since 1995, there have been 10 hurricanes in the month of September that have made landfall in the Maritimes or have remained just offshore. We were still living in Halifax in September 2003 when Hurricane Juan devastated much of Nova Scotia. There can also be significant swells off the shores of Nova Scotia in the absence of such extreme weather. On the other hand, we took the Boston to Montreal cruise on the Maasdam a few years ago in mid-September and the seas were dead calm.

We love aft cabins, and would normally recommend them for any cruise, but in your case I'd recommend keeping mid ship.

We've done the Quebec to FLL and Montreal to FLL once.

We had an aft corner room on the Serenade of the Seas.  In the Saint Lawrence River area the water was smooth both times, but in the ocean the swells picked up.

In our corner aft room, we cruised during the time they had the storm Patricia that went from Acapulco and we went through the remnants after it went through the US.  That was the first time we saw them put out the sea sick pills at Guest Relations, and of course the sea sick bags were in the elevator stairwells.  Once we returned from breakfast, we pretty much stuck to our room, ordered room service for lunch (something unusual for us).  It was one of those days where you wanted to keep a hand out to grab something in case the ship lurched.  Don't know what the Beaufort was, that day.

The second repositioning wasn't too bad.  Some rocking, we had a room that time just outside the forward elevators on the Veendam.

On the other side, w/ the aft wrap, we got some nice views in ports.

Thanks to all who have provided details of their own experiences and informed views designed to give guidance. This is an example of Cruise Critic working as it should. I have found it very useful. Balancing all information, I have been tipped by Fouremco's post, highlighting the risk of significant swells, in favour of a decision to go midship and midlevel on this cruise. My wife will feel more comfortable knowing we have done what we can to minimise the effect of any instability and with that knowledge will make the best of whatever comes.