Azura - what IS that smell, and why hasn't it been dealt with?

Harry Peterson

They are asking the same thing re the new Celebrity Edge ------- looks like a common issue ..

Seriously, having read your posts you do seem to have an axe to grind. Will go in search if the smell next week and if it is there will CC know

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

They are asking the same thing re the new Celebrity Edge ------- looks like a common issue ..

Seriously, having read your posts you do seem to have an axe to grind. Will go in search if the smell next week and if it is there will CC know

The issues with P&O are fairly recent. And they have more to do with their failure to resolve issues than the underlying issues themselves.

The last time we were on Azura we had no problems with the ship, as I recall, and certainly no smell of sewage.

This time, though, a few years on, and it’s an entirely different story. The sewage smell is very well documented online, and I suspect it’s like all the other problems - they don’t want to spend any money on it before next April’s refit.

11 minutes ago, docco said:

The issues with P&O are fairly recent. And they have more to do with their failure to resolve issues than the underlying issues themselves.

The last time we were on Azura we had no problems with the ship, as I recall, and certainly no smell of sewage.

This time, though, a few years on, and it’s an entirely different story. The sewage smell is very well documented online, and I suspect it’s like all the other problems - they don’t want to spend any money on it before next April’s refit.

We can now go armed and ready with this info when we sail. Just praying that the aft of the ship is calm, full of sun and no strange smells !!!!! (And that is for the EDGE too !!!!)

Edited by Presto2

43 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We can now go armed and ready with this info when we sail. Just praying that the aft of the ship is calm, full of sun and no strange smells !!!!! (And that is for the EDGE too !!!!)

Just to reassure you on that, it wasn't at all noticeable aft.  Just on the Promenade Deck, somewhere around midships.

7 minutes ago, docco said:

Just to reassure you on that, it wasn't at all noticeable aft.  Just on the Promenade Deck, somewhere around midships.

Many, many  thanks for that one docco

We booked this cruise in December 2017 and are a little worried as we didn't like Ventura.

We are desperate for a holiday and can't wait to be onboard. The recent threads re the condition of Azura are a little worrying.

Will keep you all updated re the ship, the décor and that smell when we get back

All I need to know now is … who is the Captain?????

;-)

25 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Many, many  thanks for that one docco

We booked this cruise in December 2017 and are a little worried as we didn't like Ventura.

We are desperate for a holiday and can't wait to be onboard. The recent threads re the condition of Azura are a little worrying.

Will keep you all updated re the ship, the décor and that smell when we get back

All I need to know now is … who is the Captain?????

😉

Stephen Howarth - or at least it was a couple of weeks ago.

14 minutes ago, docco said:

Stephen Howarth - or at least it was a couple of weeks ago.

Oh well, we were hoping for Captain Andy Willard but I suppose we will have to live with Captain Howarth, hope for a good Easter Sunday Service and no strange smell

;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. On azura now. Yay! 

Stinks. It’s disgusting. Currently sat in coral bar and breakers bar. 

It seems to be everywhere midship. 

Had a notice in the horizon that it was because “scheduled maintenance”

prober ready to complain. I know they probably can’t do anything about it but they could have warned people before booking. 

Its not nice sitting drinking cocktail with smell of sewage. 

This is definitely not just docco axe to grind 

🤢 definitely worse when the wind blows my direction 

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hi guys. On azura now. Yay! 

Stinks. It’s disgusting. Currently sat in coral bar and breakers bar. 

It seems to be everywhere midship. 

Had a notice in the horizon that it was because “scheduled maintenance”

prober ready to complain. I know they probably can’t do anything about it but they could have warned people before booking. 

Its not nice sitting drinking cocktail with smell of sewage. 

This is definitely not just docco axe to grind 

🤢 definitely worse when the wind blows my direction 

Scheduled maintenance?  That's a good one! 

This has been going on for months, and all they do whenever anything else goes wrong with this ship is wheel out another excuse.  I hesitate to say 'lies' but when all the TV channels packed up the information (despite being told) was absolutely untrue, and just designed to deceive.

Just got of Azura 4th May and noticed a strong smell of sewerage during the lifebelt drill in the Blue bar, if we could have disappeared we would have..horrible.

While waiting for a tender to St. Peter Port, watching the lucky few (excursions) getting off the ship early we had the same smell over deck 16 Breakers bar wafting around us so we moved down the ship which solved the problem.

Having worked in the building industry all sewage systems have to vent to air to stop build up of gases, with the two occasions mentioned the ship was static maybe the fumes linger. We were in the Blue bar on a sea day 1.00pm and smelt nothing..A problem that definitely needs solving.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Kittyonions said:

Have to confirm that the “smell” was definitely on promenade deck just 10 days ago! And as already stated, approx midships, and worse on one side than the other (sorry, can’t remember which)

Seems like you were on our cruise. Think it was starboard side, midship. Couldn't smell it anywhere else.

If the problem is due to having to vent the system, what can they do about it? If its also been mentioned about on the edge (must admit i picked up more complaints about the dumbing down of things, huge increase in prices and dislike of the infinity balconies than anything else) then that would tie in more with venting than anything else surely. 

48 minutes ago, the english lady said:

If the problem is due to having to vent the system, what can they do about it?  

It's not something that existed a few years back when we last sailed on Azura - I don't know exactly when the problem started, but I guess it's something they'd rather not spend money on, and wait for next April's refit to sort it out.

Not exactly something you'd relish - a stench of raw sewage on the promenade deck.  Doesn't quite fit the cruising image!

14 hours ago, Kittyonions said:

Sadly not, Presto2. We returned from Canary Islands early in April, so obviously the smell is still around. Hope you enjoyed the Fiords, where have you put your review? Kittyonions 

Have put it on the review site but as yet it hasn't gone up. Will post it on here when it does.

Loved the Fjords :-)

Just checked the latest reviews for the ship, as expected they haven't changed - it's still dire. Why do people waste their money with P&O when there is so much better available to cruisers today.

1 hour ago, jody75 said:

Just checked the latest reviews for the ship, as expected they haven't changed - it's still dire. Why do people waste their money with P&O when there is so much better available to cruisers today.

Has mine gone up yet? If it has then you haven't read it.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, Presto2 said:

Has mine gone up yet? If it has then you haven't read it.

I've been looking for your review but it still does not appear to be available yet. Hopefully it will be soon as I'm sure you will give a balanced view of the good and bad.

11 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I've been looking for your review but it still does not appear to be available yet. Hopefully it will be soon as I'm sure you will give a balanced view of the good and bad.

No, not yet. Having said that it is very long so they are probably taking a long time checking it - ha ha