TripAdvisor to post Cruise Reviews

SeaCBear

I did a global search of CruiseCritic and could not find any other reference to this story, but if I missed it, my apologies. This news applies to all cruise lines of course, so please move this post if there's a more appropriate place.

"Currently only available in the United States and United Kingdom, TripAdvisor Cruises will give travellers the TripAdvisor treatment: the ability to review and post photographs of cruise trips, by expanding maritime getaways to an audience of up to half a billion monthly users."

Full story.

An article a week ago in USA Today said that "Cruise Critic will continue to operate independently of TripAdvisor.  " but I wonder for how long.   (TripAdvisor owns CC)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/04/09/tripadvisor-cruises-portal-cruise-reviews-cruise-deals/3405570002/

Edited by catl331

Given the similarity in their target audiences, I don't know why Trip Advisor has made this available on the US but not the Canadian site. As it's very easy to switch to the US site anyway, I fail to understand the logic.

Fouremco, TripAdvisor regularly rolls out new products slowly. TripAdvisor is probably looking for advertisers and cruise line partners in Germany, Canada, and the rest of the world.

I am surprised to find TripAdvisor competing against its own Cruise Critic, but Cruise Critic seems geared to English speaking North Americans with few Aussies and Brits thrown in and there is a whole world out there that TripAdvisor reaches.

3 hours ago, whogo said:

Fouremco, TripAdvisor regularly rolls out new products slowly. TripAdvisor is probably looking for advertisers and cruise line partners in Germany, Canada, and the rest of the world.

I am surprised to find TripAdvisor competing against its own Cruise Critic, but Cruise Critic seems geared to English speaking North Americans with few Aussies and Brits thrown in and there is a whole world out there that TripAdvisor reaches.

They’ll be merging the TA forums and CC forums. Part of the recent upgrade. IMO of course, but I’ve been involved in similar things and it makes all the sense to me.