What to expect on 1st evening.

Ali-W

We’ve just booked our 1st cruise to see the Norwegian Fjords on the Britannia leaving on the 27th April. So would appreciate any tips for a first time cruiser 

Just wondering what to expect on the 1st night / evening.  I think our broading slot is 3pm.  

We’re Freedom Dining,, so wondering which restaurant would be the best bet for the 1st evening.

Also any guidance about special diets.  I’m completely Lacto/Diary Free and additional have a Salmon allergy.  

You will be allocated a dining room, you say you are freedom dining you can go any time between 6 - 9.30 ( i think that’s the times) or you can go to the buffet it is very informal the 1st night. You should let them know about your diets, I have been told they are good at accommodating any special requirements.

i am sure others will be able to tell you a bit more.

lyn

There’s the boring, but essential, muster drill just before Sailaway.  Don’t let that put you off, as dawdlers hold back everyone and then there is a crush in the stair wells and lift lobbies as all passengers attempt to get back to their cabins - some forgetting their manners and pushing ahead of less able guests.

Once you’ve dropped your life jacket back in your cabin you can grab a jacket and go on deck.  There will be music for Sailaway and you can treat yourself to a drinkie from a deck bar as you head off down the Solent.  

Enjoy your cruise.  I’m sure you will love Norway.

Regarding special diets.

Make sure you tell them about your dietary requirements before you go.

On the first night, mention to your waiter your dietary requirements, and they'll help you make a choice from the menu for that night.  Then, the head waiter will come along with the next nights menu and you'll make your choice for the next evening (and lunch if you decide to eat in the main dining room for lunch) - this will happen for the rest of your cruise.  

It works very well, and they are geared up for Diary free, so you shouldn't have any problems.  

If you eat in the buffet, have a word with one of the servers, if you aren't sure about the content of any dishes, and these days they do tend to have a 'free from' area for desserts.

Have a good time 

1 hour ago, Ali-W said:

We’ve just booked our 1st cruise to see the Norwegian Fjords on the Britannia leaving on the 27th April. So would appreciate any tips for a first time cruiser 

Just wondering what to expect on the 1st night / evening.  I think our broading slot is 3pm.  

We’re Freedom Dining,, so wondering which restaurant would be the best bet for the 1st evening.

Also any guidance about special diets.  I’m completely Lacto/Diary Free and additional have a Salmon allergy.  

Hi, we tend to avoid the main dining room freedom dining on the first night as it is usually chaos as everyone tries to find their feet. We have booked Sindhu for our cruise and in the past used the buffet. As you have a special diet to cater for it may be best to book one of the speciality restaurants or the MDR and let them know of your needs. The Glass House and Beach House are all excellent if they are open. Epicurean is great too but more for a special occasion.

Re dietary issues. Though neither of us has a dietary requirement but we sailed with my sister in law last year who is diabetic. Could not believe how good they were. Each evening the Restaurant Manager came to her at the end of the meal with the following evening's menu. She made her choices and they often prepared special desserts for her. The service was excellent and we could not fault it. I hope that this helps to put your mind at rest :-)

She is a lovely ship, have a great time

5 hours ago, Ali-W said:

P&O do handle allergies well if you've notified them in advance - if not, best let them know.  A quite word with the people on the desk as you enter, or with your server, will resolve any issues.

I'd avoid the buffet at all costs - it's a scrum at the best of times.  The food's good, the staff are excellent - it's the passengers that are the problem.

The main dining rooms available to you will be notified - you've chosen well to go for Freedom Dining.  Very little waiting unless you want your own table, and you can even specify your chosen table size as you enter.

The Epicurean often has a discounted rate for the first night.  Exceptional dining by any standard.

17 hours ago, docco said:

I'd avoid the buffet at all costs - it's a scrum at the best of times.  The food's good, the staff are excellent - it's the passengers that are the problem.

I second that. The food is generally good at the buffet but there's too much pushing and shoving at the queues to make it a pleasant dining experience. And then trying to find a seat is a real pain. It's great for a late night snack but avoid at other times.

I wouldn't say to avoid the buffet at all costs, but do agree it's best avoided at peak times. Last cruise we had 3 late-ish breakfasts and 4 late-ish evening meals in the buffet with no problems, as well as a few lunches and afternoon teas. Breakfast at 8:15 on the final morning after all cabins had to be vacated by 8am however was a very different story - absolute chaos! When we walked past at other peak meal times it was somewhere in between the two. The buffet is a very different experience from the main dining room, but depending on your plans and preferences it can be very convenient and we found the food to be very good overall.

Re: the allergies, there's a little bit of info in the FAQs page here: https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/diets_cater

The contact details for P&O customer centre are here: https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/flights_open

They'll pass the info on to the restaurant manager in advance of your cruise.

Hi. You will use the same Freedom Dining room every evening if eating in the Main Dining Room and as previously mentioned the head waiter will find you every evening, irrespective of where you are seated, and bring you the menus for the next day. You can then look at these and perhaps decide if there is anything suitable and when the waiter returns to take your order he will offer advice and  if there is something that you fancy that can be "tweaked" to suit your diet then he will advise. He will soon get to know your preferences. The wait staff the following evening already know your menu choice so can lay the appropriate cutlery when they come to you. It works brilliantly and on Britannia last year the head waiter was my new best friend by the end of the cruise. In the buffet there is a section for dietary requirements but is somewhat limited. Please let P/O know asap and then it is logged against your cabin number which you give to the staff allocating tables on the  entrance desk .

1 hour ago, Ali-W said:

Thanks

We've booked a table at the Sindhu for the first night.  Also called P&O Customer Services to notify them that I’m Lacto Intolerant.  Very helpful.   

Have a great time :-)

We've always found first night food to be the worst of the week, and that's on all cruise lines. Last week on the Ventura for example, I had steak and Guinness pie, mixed veg and mashed potato. The pie was low on meat, the vegetables were clearly of the diced frozen variety and the spud was a lump served via an ice cream scoop. It was hot and edible but more akin to what I'd expect to be served in prison than on a cruise ship. Fortunately the food was a lot better thereafter.