Does anyone use a Canon G3X?

Dani24

I'm looking to get a new camera ahead of our cruise to Alaska this summer, in addition to a non-cruise trip to Hawaii. I want something that can handle a range of things from landscape, wildlife, macro, sunsets, street photography, as well as capturing photo/video of my family (which includes a 6-year-old child). This will be my primary camera outside of the one on my Pixel phone. 

I've been looking at the Canon G3X because of its 24-600mm zoom range. I also like that it features weather sealing, and that's it's relatively compact compared to many of its competitors. I know there are several limitations, including no EVF (but can buy one), aperture suffers some as you zoom out, no 4k video (although I don't think I need it), and not as high speed as some of its competitors.

Speaking of its competitors, I have been looking closely as well at the FZ1000 II, FZ2500, and RX10 IV. I'm struggling to get past how much larger they are than the G3X -- especially the two Panasonics. I don't mind some bulk, but I worry that I may find them more frustrating to carry around. With the G3X I think I may be able to more easily conceal it in my tote bag or backpack. I would be interested in hearing how people find carrying around cameras sized like the FZ1000, FZ2500 or RX10. 

The RX10 IV is very compelling as well, outside of its size and the price. Even after adding the EVF to the G3X the RX10 will set me back another $400. 

I'm not a particularly skilled photographer, but I am eager to stretch and learn. Previously I've only had point and shoots (they were somewhat higher end ones at the time I bought them, but this would be the nicest and most richly featured camera I've ever owned). I don't want to get overwhelmed with a camera loaded with features I'd likely never use either.  

I'm really interested to hear if others have used the Canon G3X on a cruise or other vacations, and what they thought of its performance. If you have a gallery of shots from the G3X, even better! I'd love to see what the camera is capable of.

I carry a Sony A7III with a 24-105 zoom on it most of the time. That makes it about the size of an RX10. I carry it on a cross-body BlackRapid strap which makes it very convenient to access and it doesn't really get in the way. It also makes it easy to wear it under an outer jacket and swing it out when needed.

I've never worried about concealing the camera while walking around since pictures of the inside of a backpack are seldom very exciting... 🙂

On another note, the RX10IV is a fantastic camera. IMHO, of course.

Dave

The cameras on your list are all "point and shoots".. just pricey and more advanced "point and shoots."

Without getting too much into those specific cameras, these are the questions you really need to ask yourself. Most people ask the wrong questions, and camera marketing doesn't help you get to the right questions.

1 -- What type of zoom range do you ACTUALLY need? For a long time, camera makers tried to convince everyone that more zoom was better. 10x! 30X! now 50x!!! The reality is, there are a lot of photographers who rarely shoot over 100mm. Most top photographers may rarely or never go beyond 200mm. And going beyond 300mm, is really just high level wildlife and bird photography. 

On the other hand, especially as people learn photography, some really love to go wide -- wider than 24mm...  Personally, I love shooting at 12mm.

Example of 12mm:

40359043283_c6403ced1e_h.jpguniversal (435 of 1172)-Edit.jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

2-- What level of image quality are you looking for? In terms of pure IQ, all of the cameras you listed are really about the same as a good phone. If you're looking for a phone quality with the addition of extended zoom range, that's a great list. If you're looking for better image quality than you get with an iPhone X or Google Pixel, then that's not a great list. Image quality includes resolution, potential print size, low light capability, level of detail, and the contrast and dynamic range a camera (and lens) will produce.

3 --  Do you want to grow your skills and capabilities within the camera in the future? Or do you plan to mostly use it as an auto/out of the box camera. Even if not immediately, would you want to eventually shoot raw? Or would you want to eventually shoot portraits with lovely background blur? Would you want to someday experiment with off camera lighting or you can't even imagine using anything other than a pop-up flash? 

After the first 3 questions, you start to get a general idea of the type of camera you need. Whether a point and shoot, or whether you need to move on to something higher level. We continue...

4--- Size range. What's the maximum size and minimum size you're comfortable with. If you end up with a camera that's too big for your personal taste, then you don't end up carrying it and it's useless. On the flip side, some people don't like cameras that are very tiny, with small buttons, that are more awkward to get a grip on.

5-- Budget.  Yes, that's almost last. Because ideally... we would all want the absolute best camera and it should cost $100. But if you answer the first 4 questions, then that will lead you to the range of budget options for your camera needs. Lead us to used or new, lead us to what trade offs to make to stick within your budget.... leading us to..

6-- Features, trade offs, etc. Cameras within a given class will mostly have the same core features. But now we get into fine tuning. So say, after answering the first 3 questions... we know that you want, for example, an aps-c mirrorless camera... we can say that the price range for aps-c mirrorless is $400-$1500, for example. Then you can make an informed decision about your budget... and can look at and compare the feature sets of different aps-c mirrorless cameras. Or if we know you want a super zoom bridge camera, etc, etc.

The problem is for most consumers... the camera makers always push all their cameras as being great. So they don't ever really explain why one camera is better than another. So consumers look at the $200 point and shoot and the $5000 professional camera, and have no understanding of the difference. For both of them, you click and take the picture! Then some consumers just assume, "well, it must be extra expensive because it probably has features that I don't need." 

To some degree, that's probably true. But if there was a true understanding, the consumer would learn the differences aren't useless extra features but often core functionalities. 

I teach photography classes.... I routinely have a student walk in with a basic point and shoot and can't understand, "why can't I get the same background blur that you're able to get?" "Why are my pictures so terrible in low light?"

Anyway, sorry I ranted so much. And for all I know, you already went through all these steps.

I have to agree with Havoc315's comments about the need for long-range zoom lenses.  I have three cameras -- Sony Alpha 65, Sony a6300, and Sony DSC RX10ii, and my lenses range from 18-250 mm.  I've never had a need for a lens in excess of 250mm, but if you think you need a longer range lens for Alaska, I suggest you rent a long-range zoom lens.  Outside of very unique situations, I doubt you'll ever need a lens longer than 200-250mm.

Don't have a G3X, but have used older G-series cameras and was very happy with them. With respect to 600mm, I agree that you will most likely rarely use that level of zoom. The most I use is a 70-200 with a 2x extender. Very rarely found a need for anything longer.

Reviewing spec are great, but I really prefer going and actually handling the cameras and picking the one that works best in my hands and has the most intuitive menu system.

Comments so far are all valid and worth considering.  Personally, I am one of the few who use big telephoto reach all the time - not only because I happen to primarily shoot wildlife and birds, but even outside of that, I was always into distant subjects, from astro and sunset, compressed landscape through heavy zoom, closeup details on architecture, street candid or distant people shooting, and so on.  I will walk around on islands, at Disney, while traveling, and find myself regularly wanting to zoom to 300-400mm or more to shoot some detail out of reach by foot.  I've always enjoyed the freedom to shoot almost anything I can see, including something distant that I can only make out with a lot of magnification.  My travel kit lens on my DSLR was always an 18-250mm lens, and my shots were widely distributed throughout the zoom range, with big spikes at the 18mm and 250mm ends - I was almost equally pushing that lens to the two extremes of its range - wide and full tele.

My first digital camera way back in 1997 had a 518mm optical zoom, and since then, I've had cameras with 432mm equivalent, 600mm equivalent, 750mm equivalent, 900mm equivalent, and my current 840mm equivalent zooms or lenses.  Havoc is right - very few people really need the reach, nor use it regularly.  But if for some reason you are someone who will, then the superzoom cameras with larger sensors like the ones you mention are pretty good tools.  Larger-sensor interchangeable lens cameras will generally be better, but also generally cost a lot more, weigh a lot more, and require a little more skill and experience to get the most out of.  If the goal is a general purpose camera capable of normal everyday shooting, but also with a big telephoto reach for those shots that need it, a 1" sensor camera with a big flexible zoom can probably cover most of your needs.

• Like 1

Everyone has made good points and have really demonstrated that different photographers have different needs. You've gotten a lot of good advice. Sometimes I see questions like this asked on a lot of forums and you see answers like, "I shoot with the X4345XX and really love it! Great camera!"

Once you figure out your exact needs, you can fine tune your camera selection.

Since you asked about the G3x, I'll just say a few things about the model as it relates to the discussion:

-- It's a slightly older camera, over 3 years old. This isn't ancient for cameras, but would leave it slightly behind some features such as no 4k video, which is starting to become more standard

- The lens is slightly slower than the more expensive options, which will limit your ability to shoot in low light and limits the ability to shoot action compared to the more expensive models

- The lack of an EVF is a kinda a big deal. Especially when shooting long telephoto, you want the camera balanced against your eye, not held out with arms extended. Also without EVF, it can be hard to see the LCD in difficult lighting.

- The "speed" of the camera.. autofocus, burst shooting, is slow.

Here is what imaging-resource concluded in their review:

"All in all, the Canon G3X is an interesting entry into the now-hotly contested large-sensor, long-zoom camera category. The G3X offers great image quality, decent video specs and, most of all, a class-leading amount of optical zoom power. Unfortunately, it drops the ball in performance in a number of key ways. With disappointing AF speed, sluggish cycle times and burst rates with RAW and RAW+JPEG modes, as well as below average battery life and lack of an EVF to name a few, the Canon G3X leaves a lot to be desired."

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g3x/canon-g3x-conclusion.htm

All cameras are trade-offs but you do get what you pay for. If you feel you need that 24-600mm focal range, and that's your priority, the G3x is probably the most affordable way to get there. But you are making trade offs. 

Other options include the other cameras you mentioned... You can also look at cameras with more limited ranged that might be even smaller, or you can look at mirrorless aps-c cameras, like the Sony A6000, A6400, Canon M50. (those cameras will be quite compact with regular kit lenses... and then you can add a telephoto lens only as needed).  

No matter what you choose, there will be trade offs. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input! As an update, I have made a decision and opted to purchase the RX10 IV. 🙂

After a lot of research, I ended up boiling it down to the G3X or the RX10 IV. I know I may not use the 600mm range a ton, but I do expect that I will use it quite a bit. I've always enjoyed getting into the small details of things, and love the ability to zoom in when I cannot physically get closer. I also really, really want to get more into wildlife photography -- including smaller animals/birds -- and I think the longer range will be helpful. We have some other trips we expect to take in the next few years that I think this will come in handy for as well. I may get by fine with 400 or 480, but I didn't want to regret that I could have focused *just a little closer in* (and knowing myself, that would have happened). I ultimately decided that the range was more important to me than the fully articulating screen, so I was able to rule out the two Panasonics (plus they were both bigger than the Sony or Canon).

The deciding factor was getting hands-on with the G3X and RX10 IV though. I found a local camera shop that had both in stock and spent an hour in the store playing with both. I was surprised to find that I greatly preferred the RX10's ergonomics over the G3X's. And there was a very significant difference in performance (e.g. focusing, speed, etc.) between the two. The price difference, after adding the EVF for the G3X, was only $400. And I got a deal on the RX10 that included the camera, plus a bundle of accessories (many of which were things I would have needed to buy anyway) for about $1600, so it seemed worth it.

I didn't mention it in my post, but we do have a DSLR at home (it's my husband's). I strongly want an all-in-one though for my personal device. Going the mirrorless or DSLR route was an option I had ruled out for several reasons. I realize the 1" sensor won't give me as strong IQ as a bigger sensor, but I absolutely believe it will give better IQ than any cell phone. My Pixel takes some awesome photos, but I spent a lot of time looking at examples of photos/videos out of the cameras I was considering, and there was a marked difference. And the RX10's photos in particular really captured my eye. I know I may not produce the same in the beginning, but I'm very motivated to learn and get there with this camera (and having spent $1600, I feel financially motivated to not waste my money by leaving it in Auto mode!) I've always felt a small level of disappointment that my prior cameras have not been able to achieve some of the styles that I have seen come out of the RX10 IV (even without post-processing). Knowing the capability is there, I intend to learn how to achieve it (and have already started educating myself on how to do so).

Edited by Dani24
  • Like 1

Good choice.  I have the RX10ii and love it.  You might want to consider purchasing Alexander White's "Guide to the Sony RX10iv."  His series of guidebooks are very thorough and helpful.  Good luck with your new camera . . .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billandsue said:

Good choice.  I have the RX10ii and love it.  You might want to consider purchasing Alexander White's "Guide to the Sony RX10iv."  His series of guidebooks are very thorough and helpful.  Good luck with your new camera . . .

Thank you! I ordered a copy! :)