Cell phone use

Bratbrey

Probably a stupid question....

I have purchased the wifi for my cruise this weekend on the Mariner of the Seas.  I just spoke with my cell carrier (AT&T) and they want to charge me a $50.00 for a cruise package with unlimited texting and 50 minutes of phone time with $2.00 per minute overages charges and no data. 

Do I need to do that if I only will text from the boat while on wifi?  Don't plan to make any phone calls and would probably go on facebook, check email while on wifi too.

Do I need to have certain settings on or off?

Edited by Bratbrey
add one more question

Turn on airplane mode and leave it on for the entire cruise. When you turn Airplane mode ON, your wi-fi will go off. Just turn wi-fi back on and you're good for the cruise using ship's wifi.

What many carriers claim as their "cruise package" is actually only an international roaming plan for when you are in port. Virtually none eliminate the very hefty roaming charges inflicted by cellular-at-sea.

So if you don't plan to make any calls while on board just put the phone in airplane mode if you will be using the ship's wireless internet. Or inquire with ATT how much texting will cost without the "cruise package" and you can simply turn off data roaming and choose whether or not to respond to any incoming texts (or calls). 

1 hour ago, Bratbrey said:

Probably a stupid question....

I have purchased the wifi for my cruise this weekend on the Mariner of the Seas.  I just spoke with my cell carrier (AT&T) and they want to charge me a $50.00 for a cruise package with unlimited texting and 50 minutes of phone time with $2.00 per minute overages charges and no data. 

Do I need to do that if I only will text from the boat while on wifi?  Don't plan to make any phone calls and would probably go on facebook, check email while on wifi too.

Do I need to have certain settings on or off?

Another useful thing to do is to make sure you enable your phone for WiFi calling.  That way the phone is fully functional while on WiFi, without incurring any charges from your cell carrier.

If you have never enabled WiFi calling, the initial configuration must be done while you are on cellular, so do it at home before you leave for the cruise.

55 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Another useful thing to do is to make sure you enable your phone for WiFi calling.  That way the phone is fully functional while on WiFi, without incurring any charges from your cell carrier.

If you have never enabled WiFi calling, the initial configuration must be done while you are on cellular, so do it at home before you leave for the cruise.

Unfortunately, not all carriers support wi-fi calling- mine doesn't. For more information on wi-fi calling just Google it with your carrier and type of phone to get more information. You can make calls via Facebook Messenger, What's App, Skype if on an Android and of course Face Time on an iPhone.

6 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Unfortunately, not all carriers support wi-fi calling- mine doesn't. For more information on wi-fi calling just Google it with your carrier and type of phone to get more information. You can make calls via Facebook Messenger, What's App, Skype if on an Android and of course Face Time on an iPhone.

Good point, but the OP has AT&T which does support WiFi calling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks! I didn't know AT&T was one who would support it, and others (like me) often get good information just by following a thread. This day and age you would think something like wifi calling would be standard.

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

With a caveat - only on phones purchased from AT&T.  If you buy an unlocked device they do not support WiFi calling/texting.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, WisconsinFan said:

Thanks! I didn't know AT&T was one who would support it, and others (like me) often get good information just by following a thread. This day and age you would think something like wifi calling would be standard.

ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile all support wifi calling.

I use T-Mobile, as I travel a lot internationally, so free unlimited data (not super fast, but works) and texting, 25 cent per minute calling, in over 210 countries.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, fishywood said:

What many carriers claim as their "cruise package" is actually only an international roaming plan for when you are in port. Virtually none eliminate the very hefty roaming charges inflicted by cellular-at-sea.

So if you don't plan to make any calls while on board just put the phone in airplane mode if you will be using the ship's wireless internet. Or inquire with ATT how much texting will cost without the "cruise package" and you can simply turn off data roaming and choose whether or not to respond to any incoming texts (or calls). 

ATT does have a package that works on the ship’s cellular network (cellular at sea). It isn’t designed for port use, its for use on the ship....