Can we just walk on with our luggage?

lupaglupa

16 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

On our last cruise we could leave carry ons in the Bliss Lounge while we had lunch in the MDR.  That was a great convenience.

Yes I do recall there being a luggage check area in Bliss.  OP won't have to drag bags around.

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer", but I don't get the idea of carrying luggage onto the ship..Awhile back on an Epic cruise out of Miami the waiting area was packed. Walking around was like going through a minefield.

I am sure there are cases of misplaced luggage, but it is not the norm.

I like the freedom of walking on the ship. eating an MDR lunch, and exploring the ship without having to deal with my luggage.

Don't typically take priceless artifacts in my luggage. We usually carry bathing suits in a small bag so we can change and head to the thermal spa or pool as soon as possible. Don't ever remember not having luggage in room by around three or four.

It seems to me that "parking" bags somewhere on the ship is a bigger peril than checking at the pier.

Just my humble opinion

24 minutes ago, josephmz said:

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer", but I don't get the idea of carrying luggage onto the ship..Awhile back on an Epic cruise out of Miami the waiting area was packed. Walking around was like going through a minefield.

I am sure there are cases of misplaced luggage, but it is not the norm.

I like the freedom of walking on the ship. eating an MDR lunch, and exploring the ship without having to deal with my luggage.

Don't typically take priceless artifacts in my luggage. We usually carry bathing suits in a small bag so we can change and head to the thermal spa or pool as soon as possible. Don't ever remember not having luggage in room by around three or four.

It seems to me that "parking" bags somewhere on the ship is a bigger peril than checking at the pier.

Just my humble opinion

Well there is a solution to having to deal with the luggage.  There is a  place to check your luggage on most ships.

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have never intended to lug our bags around. On every prior cruise where we have walked on with bags we have gone straight to our cabins and left them. Since that is not possible on NCL we will likely check them. Happy sailing to you all!

1 minute ago, lupaglupa said:

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have never intended to lug our bags around. On every prior cruise where we have walked on with bags we have gone straight to our cabins and left them. Since that is not possible on NCL we will likely check them. Happy sailing to you all!

If you check in about an hour before check in closes most likely your rooms will be ready.  Please reconsider, I just hate seeing people check their bags, every cruise there is an announcement about some lost bags, "please check your room for a bag that does not belong to you."

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, lupaglupa said:

A few cruises ago we started walking on with our bags instead of checking them and found it made our first day a lot easier. We have always been able to get into our cabin, even when boarding very early in the day. This has worked for us on several different lines. But I've only been on NCL once before and it was a horrifying embarkation - everything that could go wrong did. That was before we habitually walked on with bags so we did check them and did, eventually, get them. Based on that one experience, I'm nervous about getting on the Gem this Friday with our bags. What do experienced NCL cruisers suggest? Are cabins usually ready?

If they fit through the scanners yes. On our last Jade cruise people could check their bags in at the Bliss lounge and walk

around suitcase free until the cabins were ready. It was very secure with receipts given and checked and someone guarding them at all times.

10 hours ago, josephmz said:

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer", but I don't get the idea of carrying luggage onto the ship..Awhile back on an Epic cruise out of Miami the waiting area was packed.

I carry camera equipment and scripts in my carry on and or small back pack. They don't leave my side, its roller no big deal. We board, go to a restaurant for lunch, bags get put under table and by the time we are done cabins are ready

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, rugerdog said:

I've heard rumors of this before, but never knew if it was true or just scare tactics by the porters.   You actually saw the luggage in the water?  Yikes!  Yea, this is just one more reason I'm in the carry-on camp.

Yes, I have absolutely seen luggage floating in the water when entering/leaving ship. However, it was on a port day, not embarkation day, so we suspect it was an entertainer or crew that was joining/leaving mid cruise; not a passenger's.

41 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, I have absolutely seen luggage floating in the water when entering/leaving ship. However, it was on a port day, not embarkation day, so we suspect it was an entertainer or crew that was joining/leaving mid cruise; not a passenger's.

We saw it in Hawaii 14 years ago on our very first cruise on embarkation day.

I suggest to take your bags onboard with you if they fit through scanner, even med size rollaboards do!.    Once you have gotten on a cruise without your luggage, that feeling   never goes away.  Our experience it was the airline, but, on several cruises we got the letter, looking for someone's luggage.  If our luggage makes it to destination, no way am chancing it any further!  No big deal rolling it onboard, have always been able to drop off in cabin, then after lunch, unpack for the week or two and am a happy camper.   But everyone has their preferences.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, lupaglupa said:

A few cruises ago we started walking on with our bags instead of checking them and found it made our first day a lot easier. We have always been able to get into our cabin, even when boarding very early in the day. This has worked for us on several different lines. But I've only been on NCL once before and it was a horrifying embarkation - everything that could go wrong did. That was before we habitually walked on with bags so we did check them and did, eventually, get them. Based on that one experience, I'm nervous about getting on the Gem this Friday with our bags. What do experienced NCL cruisers suggest? Are cabins usually ready?

My last cruise on the Gem was Sept. 2018 and I did walk on with my rolling duffel bag and beach bag.  And cabins were ready around 1:30p.m.  I am embarking on the Pearl 4/28th and will be walking on again ... with same rolling duffel bag and beach bag.  

I also keep the bags with me.  There is usually a lounge where you can leave your bags and there is 1 or 2 employees 'watching over' all of the luggage.  I do not drop my bag there.  I just keep it with me. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

so we suspect it was an entertainer or crew that was joining/leaving mid cruise; not a passenger's.

Maybe a way of letting an entertainer know they were not going to be asked back 😉

On 4/17/2019 at 1:11 AM, rugerdog said:

I've heard rumors of this before, but never knew if it was true or just scare tactics by the porters.   You actually saw the luggage in the water?  Yikes!  Yea, this is just one more reason I'm in the carry-on camp.

Yes I was on a cruise out of Southampton and some of the luggage ended up in the water.  We'd heard 'rumours' around the ship this had happened but then I bumped into a lady I'd spoken to earlier at lunch and she said her's was one of the bags.  

Most of the cruises I've been on, we don't see our luggage until night time (6pm-8pm).......which is very unnerving, but also very inconvenient.   If I know there is a lounge to store your luggage, I think it would be what I would do.

4 hours ago, Misself said:

Yes I was on a cruise out of Southampton and some of the luggage ended up in the water.  We'd heard 'rumours' around the ship this had happened but then I bumped into a lady I'd spoken to earlier at lunch and she said her's was one of the bags.

Maybe I need to be looking at the water around the pier!

You can carry your bags on provided they fit through the scanner.  If your room is not ready yet, there is usually a place that functions as a sort of "coat check" where you can leave your bags while you go eat, explore the ship etc. Bags are watched by a crew member.