Where will we go if we miss Great Stirrup Cay?

oneloyaldawg

I'm trying to plan excursions for my cruise on the Dawn on May 1-5. Our schedule is Nassau, GSC, and Key West. 

I've read that GSC may get skipped, which looks possible based on current forecasts of winds up to 30 mph. I'm crossing my fingers that that changes in the next few weeks, but want to have an idea of what is most likely to happen if we do miss the private island. Would we go to Key West early? Go back to Nassau? Go somewhere else? Sea day? 

A lot of the message boards I've read said they went to Nassau early in the cases where they didnt make GSC, but in our itinerary we will have just left Nassau. So wondered if anyone had any ideas here.

1 hour ago, oneloyaldawg said:

I'm trying to plan excursions for my cruise on the Dawn on May 1-5. Our schedule is Nassau, GSC, and Key West. 

I've read that GSC may get skipped, which looks possible based on current forecasts of winds up to 30 mph. I'm crossing my fingers that that changes in the next few weeks, but want to have an idea of what is most likely to happen if we do miss the private island. Would we go to Key West early? Go back to Nassau? Go somewhere else? Sea day? 

A lot of the message boards I've read said they went to Nassau early in the cases where they didnt make GSC, but in our itinerary we will have just left Nassau. So wondered if anyone had any ideas here.

It depends on where your next port is. 

IF your port after GSC is Nassau AND there is an open berth that supports your ship, you may go there early (we arrived at 12:30 a couple of weeks ago). 

If if there is no berth, then you will be allowed in after someone leaves in the evening. 

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It depends on where your next port is. 

IF your port after GSC is Nassau AND there is an open berth that supports your ship, you may go there early (we arrived at 12:30 a couple of weeks ago). 

If if there is no berth, then you will be allowed in after someone leaves in the evening. 

Our schedule is Nassau to GSC to Key West. So we would be coming from Nassau. 

I just hadnt read about anyone that went to Key West overnight, so didnt know if it was even a possiblity.

Im guessing we will just get a sea day, as we dont have any sea days in the current schedule. Either way, were on vacation so its all a win

It's just speculation but if your itinerary is Nassau to GSC to Key West it seems exceptionally unlikely you will return to Nassau if GSC is too rough for tendering. The most likely scenario in my view is a lovely day at sea was you cruise leisurely to Key West.

I have no special insight, just personal experience so take this for what it's worth.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stopthenickelanddimeing said:

Sea Day= Money making for NCL.

I have noticed (and I do not think it's a coincidence) that ships like Epic often miss GSC due to "bad weather" but small ships like Sun always tender. 

My logic (or maybe lack thereof?) is:

1. The resources used to tender thousands of people are enormous. At the time GSC was purchased, ships as large as Epic did not exist nor did anyone plan on them to exist.

2. NCL controls alcohol sales both on and off the ship so there is no financial loss in that department if GSC is missed. If anything, more drinks will be sold on the ship because people will be bored. One might argue it doesn't matter since "most" people have the "free" drink package, but that exact number is unknown.

3. NCL controls food consumed on and off the ship. Everyone at GSC eats for free. If they keep everyone onboard, there is opportunity to make additional specialty restaurant revenue. 

4. The only revenue they are missing is through cabana sales, etc on GSC but the majority of passengers do not use these. Even at capacity, I still doubt more revenue is being made on those vs all the revenue opportunities by keeping everyone onboard. 

5. After reading this forum, you'll notice that passengers really don't care one way or another. And if they do care that the stop was missed, they sure do get over it very quickly.

So what's the incentive to tender?

2 hours ago, oneloyaldawg said:

Our schedule is Nassau to GSC to Key West. So we would be coming from Nassau. 

I just hadnt read about anyone that went to Key West overnight, so didnt know if it was even a possiblity.

Im guessing we will just get a sea day, as we dont have any sea days in the current schedule. Either way, were on vacation so its all a win

You would probably get a sea day. NCL use to use the dock on the Navy base in Key West which means there was strict control of cruise ship passengers exiting and entering the base. Not likely they would overnight there. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You would probably get a sea day. NCL use to use the dock on the Navy base in Key West which means there was strict control of cruise ship passengers exiting and entering the base. Not likely they would overnight there. 

Never heard of a ship overnighting in Key West.

Usually they want you away from the dock by sunset so everyone can party in Mallory Square.

Key West tolerates cruisers because of the revenue, but they don’t really like us !

If when you embark the forecast looks bleak and the winds are expected to be that high, it's possible they will cancel GSC in advance and make arrangements to stay in Nassau before heading to Key West.

On one of my Sky cruises we were to visit Nassau and then GSC but we docked in Nassau and stayed overnight instead because the weather was expected to be bad all week, with no chance of it being possible to tender.