LIVE FROM JOURNEY

Lois R

13 minutes ago, macmax said:

That's too bad that you won't be doing a follow up review as I for one  would like to know if things improved for you and how the ride back from Bermuda was?

They did improve somewhat. One rough day at sea (for me anyway). No sickness but one night every time I was ready to go to a deep sleep she woke me back up (rocking). BIG PITA. I took a 3 hour nap the next day

We no longer eat in MDRs, either Celebrity, Azmara or Seabourn.   The dietary restrictions from passengers have increased and the staff has not.   The staff has to wait for milk free, egg free, garlic free, KETO, plus the usual Gluton Free, Sugar Free, Carb free etc, etc.   We have found the service in the Specialty Restaurants to be equal to what you used to expect on cruises.   

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We no longer eat in MDRs, either Celebrity, Azmara or Seabourn.   The dietary restrictions from passengers have increased and the staff has not.   The staff has to wait for milk free, egg free, garlic free, KETO, plus the usual Gluton Free, Sugar Free, Carb free etc, etc.   We have found the service in the Specialty Restaurants to be equal to what you used to expect on cruises.   

Interesting perspective. 

Since my wife is one of those who has to follow several dietary restrictions I can state that, in our experience, there may be as few as 1or 2 (usually) and as many as 6 (very rarely) passengers that meet with the Head Waiter at the beginning of the cruise to go over the issues involved. This is, of course, after filling out the precruise form that alerts the staff.

With all due respect, despite the lengthy list of restrictions you have enumerated, given the number of cruisers involved, it’s rather hard to see how they would have such a dramatic negative impact on the enjoyment of our fellow travellers.

A few years ago, we also attempted to have the same waiter in the MDR so as to not have to repeatedly explain the issues and thus interfere with their efficiency. However, computerization has dramatically lessened that problem. 

I can can only relate our own experience, of course, but the new systems on the serving end are quite impressive. 

So I’m not certain how you arrive at the assessment that people like her are worsening the experience of others in the MDR.

Of course she would find it a far better situation if she didn’t have to follow any of the restrictions. It’s unlikely anyone would choose to do so unless it was necessary, and dietary issues certainly restrict her options in terms of travel.

However, we have found that the staff and fellow cruisers, once they are familiar with her issues, are rather sympathetic.

But apparently not everyone.

Thanks for that point of view.

• Like 1

I am home from the cruise...…..got home earlier this evening.

Phil, thanks for your kind words but I it seems there are a ton of other replies that have nothing to do with my experience.

I appreciate your input and yes, there are lines out there for all of us. I think I am going to look at another River Cruise.

I have been on one and have been wanting to book another for over 2 years so maybe it is now time to my 2nd one.

( I LOVED IT).

Macmax, to your question...…...things on the service end were just not always what I expected and yes, some were fixed.

Food varied throughout the entire cruise.  Some nights good and some nights ok......service varied......some nights good and other nights, not so much.

Lois such a shame you don’t feel able to give us your reflections. I think there are a few who cannot accept any negative posts about Azamara which is sad.  In the last 18 months it’s become far more prevalent but hopefully most readers see beyond the blinkered posters so enjoy reflections from new cruisers like yourself. 

Sorry it’s not quite worked out, if you feel able come back with some comparisons to the other lines you use. 

And yes, all the restaurants are hit and miss and it is more noticeable since they had to take away some to staff up Pursuit whilst expecting staff to look after more tables when more and more guests either have special dietary needs or expect to order variances from the menu of the day. 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Lois such a shame you don’t feel able to give us your reflections. I think there are a few who cannot accept any negative posts about Azamara which is sad.  In the last 18 months it’s become far more prevalent but hopefully most readers see beyond the blinkered posters so enjoy reflections from new cruisers like yourself. 

Sorry it’s not quite worked out, if you feel able come back with some comparisons to the other lines you use. 

And yes, all the restaurants are hit and miss and it is more noticeable since they had to take away some to staff up Pursuit whilst expecting staff to look after more tables when more and more guests either have special dietary needs or expect to order variances from the menu of the day. 

Hi, I thought I had posted some of my reflections throughout this thread to be honest with you...…..I had a good cruise overall......but had more issues than I expected.   And no, I was not in the mind set to book another cruise with them.

18 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Just read through the entire thread again and saw no posting that questioned anything written by OP.  Two or three others on the cruise also said something was off and two or three said everything was fine and they were enjoying the cruise.  I don't see why that should present a problem to anyone here.

[Sorry.  Didn't intend to quote anyone.  Fat fingers, I guess.]

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Just read through the entire thread again and saw no posting that questioned anything written by OP.  Two or three others on the cruise also said something was off and two or three said everything was fine and they were enjoying the cruise.  I don't see why that should present a problem to anyone here.

[Sorry.  Didn't intend to quote anyone.  Fat fingers, I guess.]

Well, it is the internet and I guess we all take things differently...…..it was a "live from" I started on the ship and I felt as if other people were writing an entire review on top of me. I guess I forgot that is how it works on a public forum. I haven't done one in a long, long time....

Appreciate all of this sharing and these posting by Lois.  While we have not sailed with Azamara, it is good to check their options and from others to seek the best for creativity for interesting itineraries.  Plus, we are always focused as to the "value" being offered. Good luck to Lois as you consider your future options for doing a river cruise next.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,855 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Did just check on the Azamara website for their options in the South Pacific during the early 2020 period to help us escape the Midwest winter cold/snow season.  There were only two potential options.  BUT, neither worked that well, especially compared to a potential, 18-day Auckland to Tahiti cruise that Oceania offers.  It's always good to check and compare.  Also, great to a have wide range of cruise lines, ships and offerings to consider.   In seeking to navigate the Azamara website, it was a little slow and/or confusing.  BUT, I found what was needed.   Just required some time and patience.   That often happens when seeking to explore different cruise line Internet offerings.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,901 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

1 hour ago, macmax said:

Lois, this is off the topic, but how did you like Come From Away?

It is FANTASTIC...…..LOVED IT...…..the cast received a LONG Standing O...…...simply outstanding and my heartfelt thanks to the people of Gander!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

It is FANTASTIC...…..LOVED IT...…..the cast received a LONG Standing O...…...simply outstanding and my heartfelt thanks to the people of Gander!!!

Us too and that is the general reaction.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:23 AM, nordski said:

I don’t know that I would ever recommend Azamara for the “Wow” factor. 

We sail on their ships for the comfort they provide, the care they show for the passengers, and for the quiet experiences of insight we experience on board and ashore.

There are times that we are really impressed but not to the “wow” point. 

But relaxed enjoyment suits us and the decor reminds us of an upscale country club, hence the appropriateness of the cruise line’s name.

We were on the same sailing as Lois and I pretty much agree with her assessment.

We didn’t book this cruise for any “wow” factor. We booked it first for the itinerary, then for the fact that it was a small ship. I knew nothing about Azamara aside from our TA who thought we would like this line. So I started to read the boards here and my expectations were raised by reading comments from repeat Azamara cruisers. 

I had come to expect Azamazing from those repeat cruisers.  What I got was a very enjoyable cruise, but nothing to live up to the raves I had read about here. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to book another Azamara cruise if the timing, itinerary and price worked out. In fact, we were hoping to book this exact cruise for next year, but sadly they aren’t repeating it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

We were on the same sailing as Lois and I pretty much agree with her assessment.

We didn’t book this cruise for any “wow” factor. We booked it first for the itinerary, then for the fact that it was a small ship. I knew nothing about Azamara aside from our TA who thought we would like this line. So I started to read the boards here and my expectations were raised by reading comments from repeat Azamara cruisers. 

I had come to expect Azamazing from those repeat cruisers.  What I got was a very enjoyable cruise, but nothing to live up to the raves I had read about here. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to book another Azamara cruise if the timing, itinerary and price worked out. In fact, we were hoping to book this exact cruise for next year, but sadly they aren’t repeating it. 

This was pretty much the same way I felt after taking our first Azamara cruise.  I even titled my review "Good, but not as good as I was expecting."  I know for our first cruise on Azamara, I was also colored by how expensive I felt it was (a British Open cruise on Journey).  Between the price and posts by frequent Azamara cruisers, I expected service that was head and shoulders above what we experienced on mainstream lines, and it never materialized.  We liked the food in the MDR, but Windows and the Patio left a lot to be desired (although the Patio on Quest on our second cruise was much better).  We enjoyed the smaller ships.

For our next two Azamara cruises, it was a combination of a great price point and the PerryGolf offerings that made us book.  For me, I'm willing to overlook some issues if I'm paying $250-275/night versus $450 or more.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, suzzek said:

Yes Lois, thanks for posting! We are booked in November on Journey. Our favorite cruise line is Celebrity, and after reading some of the comments on the Azamara board, I am a little concerned. Please keep posting, as you can be sure I will be following closely.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise - especially since you are "moving up."  The small ship experience is really wonderful.  No lines, no big crowds, no photographers everywhere, no constant announcements about what to spend your money on next!  The ship is beautiful.  We had a Club Veranda Cabin.  I wanted the Club Continent Suite, mostly for a bit more room, but we decided that we wouldn't spend the extra for a shortish cruise.  We bid for an upgrade and didn't get it.  The Club Veranda was fine!  It was bigger than it looked in the diagrams and photos.  We had a lot of drawer and closet space, plenty of hangers.  The bathroom is small, but adequate.  The shower was a bit of a challenge, but didn't give either of us any problems.

We don't do shows, but the musical trio the Fancy Triplets (I kept getting the name wrong - Fairy Sisters, Fantasy Triplets) were fantastic.  Every time they were in the Living Room, we were there!  Trivia was fine and a bit different from games I've played on other ships.  We like trivia, and we found 2 sisters traveling together and formed a team.

The food was good to great.  The specialty restaurants were well worth the cost   One of our issues was inconsistency.  There were times the service was spectacular, and other times distracted for want of a better word.  But it's just really a nit.  Same with the food.  Most times it was very good or fantastic, but there was the odd meal here and there that was not so great.  I don't really expect to find every meal on a cruise spectacular - I think that's too much to ask of any line, taste being what it is.  Someone else probably loved the food, I found, "meh."  I will admit I tried things I either hadn't eaten before, or that I hadn't had prepared that way.

Do try the Gelato at the Windows Cafe at lunch - it was great and the flavors imaginative.  I also really loved the salads and often skipped what I intended to eat, because one or more of them caught my eye.  The garlic toast is fabulous.

I intend to write a fuller report as soon as I can get my thoughts together.  I definitely book another Azamara cruise as I said in my other post - without hesitation.  I wish they cruised from the US more often.  My husband said, "If I'm flying to Europe, I'm going on Viking," and I agree with him.  Viking is our preferred line, but we aren't going steady 🙂  We're dating other lines for different reasons.  This was an unusual itinerary, and a rare opportunity to dock in Hamilton, Bermuda and it sailed from NY - a bonus because we don't have to fly.  If Azamara ever did a regular yearly run from NY, we'd probably become regulars.

Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, uktog said:

I think there are also issues in the MDR with more and more guests wanting variations in the menu (e.g. bring me an additional x starter with my entree or alter x or y to my tastes)  The problem is having been on a galley tour I have now seen this involves the waiter having to wait in two or three service lines to get all this together.  The knock on is that other tables served by the same staff are impacted with slow service or no wine service if the assistant is the runner.  It is very rarely regular guests who do this, perhaps the new target market is expecting this level of wow that the MDR struggles to deliver and keep others served as wee (By the way I am not saying that it is Lois or the other posters on this thread who are doing this, more it is a general "make it different" we have observed).

I don't consider the ability to get a substitute for an item - or an additional item a "level of wow"  I can get that on Carnival and have. 

My husband doesn't eat rice or pasta.  He wants a baked potato or fries.  On Carnival, they didn't take the rice or pasta off the plate, but there was never any issue with getting a potato dish, or an alternative vegetable.  This didn't happen on the Journey.  He seemed to never be able to get a potato.  It was not an issue on Viking either (we have done river and ocean).

What I would consider a "wow" factor, was the waiter in the Living Room, who followed us in every night with our drinks already on his tray.  How he knew when we would arrive, I have no idea.  He would just appear behind us and follow us down to the seating area.  THAT is a wow!

We did see people in the MDR, who we knew to be Azamara repeat cruisers, and they seemed to get all sorts of special orders.  So I don't think you can put that on " the new target market."  In fact we found out that we could get the previous days wine, from hearing a repeat customer at the next table ask for it.  The sommeliers were all fabulous, BTW.

If Azamara wants to run with the "big boys" - as in luxury and premium wines, they really need to find a way to do it within the confines of the galley.  And yes, we took the behind the scenes tour.  Could be they need more staff if getting a potato added to a plate holds up other diners.

3 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

We did see people in the MDR, who we knew to be Azamara repeat cruisers, and they seemed to get all sorts of special orders.  So I don't think you can put that on " the new target market."  In fact we found out that we could get the previous days wine, from hearing a repeat customer at the next table ask for it.  The sommeliers were all fabulous, BTW.

You are on to a point here that I see on these boards (as a person who has cruised a few times on AZ but not exclusively by any means): those who are frequent cruisers, are on a first-name basis with the crew, and have connections get different (and probably better) service than those of us who are first-timers or who cruise once every so often with AZ. Does that mean I get lousy service? No, but one has to take some of the raves with a grain of salt, especially if one is a sometimes AZ cruiser.

• Like 1

I think we are actually in agreement here - you should be able to get a baked potato or fries and as that is a standard enhancement on Azamara menus not a special order, the waiters were letting you down badly.  I have posted elsewhere I think this ordering special dishes (especially by regulars) is in my view unfair and you have shown exactly why.  Service needs to be better and they need to be firmer on how much off menu running around a waiter does (there seems to be less waiters now and it is impacting both on wowing new people and confirming to returners that the product is as good as they remember).  The focus should be on excellent service for everyone - it used to happen but as I posted when I returned from Pursuit but was shot down by some even though I too would be classed as a fairly loyal regular up until now, it was slipping - now others tell me all is back on track which is good news.  I look forward to reconfirming that soon

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

Although I have some restrictive food allergies, I can usually find something on the menu most days which enables me to avoid any issues.

However, on occasion I am "guilty" of having a specially prepared meal delivered to me . . . having been prepared without the ingredient to which I am allergic!

I am sorry if anybody thinks that is unfair . . . perhaps those persons might consider there is a very valid reason for another to occasionally have a meal specially prepared.

5 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Although I have some restrictive food allergies, I can usually find something on the menu most days which enables me to avoid any issues.

However, on occasion I am "guilty" of having a specially prepared meal delivered to me . . . having been prepared without the ingredient to which I am allergic!

I am sorry if anybody thinks that is unfair . . . perhaps those persons might consider there is a very valid reason for another to occasionally have a meal specially prepared.

Never had an issue with that. We need that sometimes too as chefs are now putting nuts everywhere. It’s the whole tables wanting something different off menu a special for them or where a table wants 6 different variations all off standard menu and none for diet reasons that seems unfair to surrounding tables 

22 minutes ago, uktog said:

Never had an issue with that. We need that sometimes too as chefs are now putting nuts everywhere. It’s the whole tables wanting something different off menu a special for them or where a table wants 6 different variations all off standard menu and none for diet reasons that seems unfair to surrounding tables 

That's a whole different ballgame.

I just wanted to comment on the TV channel thing, if they said there was satellite blockage that prevented getting some channels I would bet that is true,  there's really no reason for them to lie about something like that and it's not like this is a very tall ship.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, hrhdhd said:

You are on to a point here that I see on these boards (as a person who has cruised a few times on AZ but not exclusively by any means): those who are frequent cruisers, are on a first-name basis with the crew, and have connections get different (and probably better) service than those of us who are first-timers or who cruise once every so often with AZ. Does that mean I get lousy service? No, but one has to take some of the raves with a grain of salt, especially if one is a sometimes AZ cruiser.

We did notice that the staff often spent an inordinate amount of time with those they knew, while neglecting those of us who were first time or infrequent Azamara guests. I think that’s why the frequent cruisers love Azamara, but if they aren’t also cultivating new cruisers, that’s not such a great business plan. 

I kept hearing about the officers mingling with the guests, but the only one we had contact with was Eric and that’s only because we were alone with him in an elevator.   None of the other officers said so much as, “Hi!”  They were always rushing past off to some other place.  I expected to meet the Captain on the bridge when we did the behind the scenes tour, but he didn’t show. As far as I know, there was only the one tour, so I expected him to at least pop in for a brief hello.  We have done quite a few of these tours on other lines and have always met the Captain, and frequently had a photo op as well. 

So we never got to experience, that which others claim is an Azamara specialty. 

Again, don’t get me wrong, we were pleased enough with what we did experience, that we would sail with Azamara again if the timing and itinerary were right, but at least for now, Viking will still be our first choice.