Cruise Critic Community
non

Fishing Excursion Recommendations

Going to Alaska cruise for first time end of July.  My 13 yr old son loves to fish and is begging for a fishing excursion.  Ports we will be visiting is Juneau (1 PM to 10 PM), Sitka (8 AM to 5 PM) and Ketchikan (7 AM to 1 PM).  From what I can read in this forum, Ketchikan seems to be the best port for fishing.  My concern is that we are there only for a short time.  Will it be enough time?  I also see options for fly fishing, charter boat, or the fishing and wilderness dining trip.  Wanted to see what the best options are and recommendations for excursion company to use.  Thanks!

By the end of July there should be good salmon charters out of Juneau and the best part of that is that you also go out where the whales hang out, so you might get a twofer by just booking a fishing charter!

It looks like you have the best port time in Juneau which should be adequate for a fishing charter.

good luck!

DD

I booked a 5 hr private charter with Baranof at Ketchikan for 6 people.  I have until 2 days before the trip to cancel it so I can continue my research to see if there are better options.  Fishing is a big deal for my son so I want to make sure we pick the best option for fishing.  My concern with Ketchikan is that it happen to be the port where we have the fewest time in port.  All we will be able to do is the fishing charter w/ no time to explore the town or have a buffer in the schedule.  On the other hand, Baranof said that their dock is close to where the cruise ship docks.

Let me know if this is the best option or if I should consider something else.  Which fishing charter company would you recommend at Juneau?  Thanks!  

Posted (edited)

We used AAA Sportfishing and it was great.  Lots of photos / videos posted on his Facebook page so you can see what his trips are like.  

https://www.fishketchikan.com/

We had originally booked with Baranof too, but liked that Jerry was local to Ketchikan and picked us up right where our cruise ship was docked.  He also had a clean, comfortable boat.   Since we weren’t sure who would be taking us out and how familiar they were with the area, we canceled Baranof.  We had a great trip and lots of fun!

Edited by ccndfw