Birthday/celebration cake

vaka08

Is there any difference between the birthday cake I can order ahead of time through gifts and a birthday cake I can buy on board? I’m trying to remember the on board ones and I can’t picture it in my head.

DDs birthday is day 2 of the cruise

We ordered cakes when we were on the ship, $25. Other tables around us just asked for a piece of whatever cake was on the menu. I think I would do that next time. The cake was good but not everyone at our table wanted cake for dessert.

6 minutes ago, Patsfan3 said:

We ordered cakes when we were on the ship, $25. Other tables around us just asked for a piece of whatever cake was on the menu. I think I would do that next time. The cake was good but not everyone at our table wanted cake for dessert.

Where did you order it from and do you remember how much notice they needed? Even better- do you have a picture of the cake?

The cakes that we have ordered have been much better than the cakes I've had in the dining room or Windjammer. We have ordered cakes a few times in advance to be sent to the dining room and they have never had any idea what we were talking about when we asked the waiter at dinner. Once they brought us second cakes to the cabin the day after we had the first ones.

Just be sure to let them know that you ordered a cake at the start of dinner.

Here is a link to an old thread on the cake topic. DW will be celebrating her 50th Birthday on our cruise. I was going to order a cake but after reading the thread I decided against it. a picture of the actual cake received is at the bottom of page 2

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Here is a link to an old thread on the cake topic. DW will be celebrating her 50th Birthday on our cruise. I was going to order a cake but after reading the thread I decided against it. a picture of the actual cake received is at the bottom of page 2

I honestly think that was a fluke.  We've received 4 cakes on separate occasions and they always looked like the celebration cake they have posted online. 

Careful ordering in advance to deliver to the room. I did that last year. They even asked me what message to say in the icing. I was expecting it first day. It didn't show up. Nor at dinner. The next day we had a tiny box of 6 small pieces of chocolate delivered to the room with a note. She was thrilled but I was pretty taken back that I was expecting a nice chocolate cake that I paid pretty good money for and we got way shorted... 

17 minutes ago, Danswife12 said:

I honestly think that was a fluke.  We've received 4 cakes on separate occasions and they always looked like the celebration cake they have posted online. 

I'm going to follow this thread as well to see what others have to say. I agree it could have been some kind of mix up and they had to put something together quickly. 

We have celebrated two birthdays onboard (mine and DWs, in different years).

We prebooked the celebration packages offered on the website, and, in each case, specified that we wanted the cake delivered at dinner in the MDR.

First birthday (DW): returned to stateroom after a day ashore. Cake, under a plastic cloche, sat on the bed. Had been there for hours, as the chocolate frosting was melting and all over the plate.

Second birthday (mine, last year):  no cake at all.  Enquired next day at GS (too late on the day and DW who had booked and paid for it was furious and needed to cool down).

Lots of apologies, and then the startling offer(s): "would you like it now?" Followed by "shall we deliver it tonight?" (day AFTER the birthday).

For the first incident, we returned the melting cake to GS, and a fresh one was delivered at dinner.

For the second, RCL refused to refund the cost to our onboard account and insisted we take it up with head office on our return ( which we did, but took 5 weeks to get a refund).

We did get chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of bubbly from the hotel manager a couple of days later as an apology.

• Like 1

A friend was celebrating a birthday on a cruise a year ago and I ordered a chocolate cake from Guest Services and it was fantastic.  On our cruise in February, we had 3 at our table that had a birthday that month and someone ordered a chocolate cake and again it was fantastic.  (For those of you familiar with Portillos, it tasted exactly like their chocolate cake.). I’m celebrating my birthday on a cruise in a December and I hope my DH orders me a cake!

17 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

A friend was celebrating a birthday on a cruise a year ago and I ordered a chocolate cake from Guest Services and it was fantastic.  On our cruise in February, we had 3 at our table that had a birthday that month and someone ordered a chocolate cake and again it was fantastic.  (For those of you familiar with Portillos, it tasted exactly like their chocolate cake.). I’m celebrating my birthday on a cruise in a December and I hope my DH orders me a cake!

Were you able to get the cake the next day or do they need more time? My DDs birthday is day 2.

id rather order when on board as we have a ton of OBC to use up. And it seems folks have less problems when ordering on the ship.

You should be able to order it on day one for day two.  Just go to Guest Services after you board.  They’ll also hold it for you and bring it back out the next day if there’s any left.

Edited by sellwingri

17 hours ago, vaka08 said:

Where did you order it from and do you remember how much notice they needed? Even better- do you have a picture of the cake?

Our waiter the day before. It looked just like the one someone pictured earlier. That is the chocolate one, you can also order vanilla.

2 minutes ago, toras said:

Several years ago I went on a birthday cruise and they brought me a slice of cake at the MDR without being asked to, on Navigator. Guess those days are gone?

If they know it's your birthday (you may have to tell the waiter), they may bring a small piece of cake for you alone.  However, if you want a full cake, you've got to pay for that.

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is not sounding good. I think I'll just ask for a candle in a piece of cake.

Good move.  We ordered one for our daughter a couple years ago that never showed up.  When we asked they apologized and sent us a bottle of cheap wine in Chops that night.......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm going to follow this thread as well to see what others have to say. I agree it could have been some kind of mix up and they had to put something together quickly. 

When you talk about mix-ups with birthday cake orders, they definitely happen.  We were on a sailing and go to MDR dinner first night.  We meet some lovely tablemates and are having some terrific conversation and dinner is moving along nicely.  You know on the first night the wait staff is always checking the names of the people at their tables and finding out anything special about them (allergies or what they like and how they like it, etc).  We are getting ready to look over the dessert menu, and the waiter comes over with a cake....goes directly to one of the couples and they  sing happy birthday, and make a fuss....all nice.  Then Debbie (very nice lady) looks at the cake and it says "Happy Birthday Bonnie",  she laughs at it and says "I'm not Bonnie"....Now Debbie's husband DID order a cake for Debbie's birthday to be delivered to dinner on the 2nd night of the cruise, when it WAS going to be Debbie's birthday....well for rest of the cruise, we called Debbie, Bonnie....I just don't think they ever found Bonnie to give her a cake.  And YES, on night 2, another cake was delivered to Debbie.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, DeepC said:

Careful ordering in advance to deliver to the room. I did that last year. They even asked me what message to say in the icing. I was expecting it first day. It didn't show up. Nor at dinner. The next day we had a tiny box of 6 small pieces of chocolate delivered to the room with a note. She was thrilled but I was pretty taken back that I was expecting a nice chocolate cake that I paid pretty good money for and we got way shorted... 

I'm leery of trying to order again... Is it better to order on board? Would that best be done through MDR or maybe guest services? 

40 minutes ago, DeepC said:

I'm leery of trying to order again... Is it better to order on board? Would that best be done through MDR or maybe guest services? 

I would order with your wait staff in the MDR.

Maybe pop down to the cupcake place on the boardwalk and see if there is anything they can do?   A few cupcakes might be better than a whole cake - maybe they can arrange to have it delivered at dinner?

assuming you’re on Oasis class

• Like 1