Trip Report [May 10 2019] - Celebrity Millennium: Vancouver to Seward

hvbaskey

26 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Mendenhall, TRAM, hiking trails, tours, tours, tours for Juneau and yet until today, we had nothing “firmed up” and were going to wing it and DIY the day of.  We had set a budget aside for the day, but nothing was leaping out at me or striking the home run.

@ T-36 hours until departure to the airport, I finally found an excursion for Juneau that gave me goose pimples (a great indicator for me)! 

We’re off on a cruise to Tracy Fjord Arm to get up close & personal to the glaciers.   Universe, as always, works in mysterious ways and I came across a photo on MickeyLive’s FB page (Celebrity’s semi-retired “destination expert extraordinaire”).   Anyhow!  in a nutshell, followed the path from the picture to the tour - and called the reservation in today and arranged two tickets for us to go on the 10 (YUP 10!) hour adventure to Tracy Arm.  

We have a very long day in Juneau (docking at 7 AM and not departing until 9:30 PM) - so we have the time to spare to take on the ice adventure”.    I am over the moon with excitement!

Tracy Arm is a favorite of locals, as well! Great choice and well worth the long day. Bring a book or card game for the ride there and back. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AKfamily said:

Tracy Arm is a favorite of locals, as well! Great choice and well worth the long day. Bring a book or card game for the ride there and back. 

Thank you!  we’re look very forward to this excursion 🙂

On 5/4/2019 at 8:21 AM, hvbaskey said:

Six (6) sleeps away from our Alaskan adventure.  Preparing my travel journal today.  
Semi Scrapbook / Semi Journal - hoping to keep it “up to date” as we mosey along up the pacific northwest coast ...

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

OMG THAT IS GORGEOUS !! 

I wish my handwriting was as nice as yours!  

• Like 1

I plan to report back later, as first I want to jot down my thoughts about the entire embarkation day and sailing into the first night.  But!  for now ... I will leave you with this from Night #1 ...

NZ1_5367.JPG

NZ1_5368.JPG

• Like 6

Just watching you dock in Ketchikan on the webcam. My mom is looking forward to just shopping and walking town. If you happen to notice what time the shops open, and what time you can get off the ship that would be great to know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musik07 said:

Just watching you dock in Ketchikan on the webcam. My mom is looking forward to just shopping and walking town. If you happen to notice what time the shops open, and what time you can get off the ship that would be great to know!

We had the all clear at 7 (shortly after 7) to disembark.  All aboard is at 2:30 PM.  Short day in Ketchikan, but looking forward to it.  I was up at 5 AM for the very beautiful sail in.  Sun is out, blue skies, calm waters - all worth getting out of bed for.  Watching the coast, all I could hear were the calls of eagles.  Saw at least 1/2 dozen, sailing into port. 
Here is a quick pic - will share more later.

NZ1_5705.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, Eileen G said:

Wow that's great to see an orca right off the bat. Anxious to hear about embarkation and sail away as we will be leaving on Wednesday on the Coral Princess. 

Port of Vancouver was a logistical nightmare.  Very long queues and not well organized.  Blame was placed on three ships in port, but gosh!  that shouldn't be anything new for the cruise industry and especially for cruises to Alaska.

Saying that, sail away was magnificent out of the Port of Vancouver!

Right now, 4 ships in Ketchikan.  We were the first to arrive, then the Carnival Legend, then the Solstice, and tendering is a Princess ship.

Edited by hvbaskey

Four words ... "Playful Humpback Whale Calf"
Three words ... "Icy Strait Point" ...

Two words ... "Perfect Day" ...
One word ... "Gratitude"

Highly recommend "Icy Strait Whale Adventures" - awesome company.  Office gave our cruise critic roll call a 10% discount and THEN our own excursion (11 people on boat) apart from other passengers.   Amazing, perfect day.

NZ1_6932.JPG

NZ1_7429.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you are experiencing beautiful weather—hope it continues! Is it chilly? I’m preparing to pack, so I’d love some insight if/when you have a moment, and it’s fine if you don’t. 😉 Enjoy!

17 hours ago, catarazzi said:

Looks like you are experiencing beautiful weather—hope it continues! Is it chilly? I’m preparing to pack, so I’d love some insight if/when you have a moment, and it’s fine if you don’t. 😉 Enjoy!

Hello!  we have had brilliant weather all week.  We packed "layers" and wore layers throughout the week.  Several layers in the morning, peeling them off by the afternoon.  Excursions on the water?  windbreakers were our best friends. 

Thick, heavy clothes are not the answer - but multiple layers are to break the wind chill.

• Thanks 1

A few photos from our "Adventure Bound" Tracy Arm Fjord excursion.  If you have a long day in Juneau, like we did - highly recommend.  It's 10 hours of awesomeness!

NZ1_8001.JPG

NZ1_8458.JPG

NZ1_8546.JPG

NZ1_8613.JPG

NZ1_8623.JPG

• Like 10

I'm in love with your pics.  Those shots of the bears!!  What kind of camera are you using??

I booked what I hope is a similar excursion - Endicott Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer.  Sure hope we have half as much luck as you did with the bear sightings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Hello!  we have had brilliant weather all week.  We packed "layers" and wore layers throughout the week.  Several layers in the morning, peeling them off by the afternoon.  Excursions on the water?  windbreakers were our best friends. 

Thick, heavy clothes are not the answer - but multiple layers are to break the wind chill.

Thank you so much! I think I am on the right track for packing with your confirmation. Your pics are fantastic, and they are helping to set the mood for sure! 

Please save have some of that fabulous weather for us on the 24th! 😉

Edited by catarazzi
  • Thanks 1